Closed Thread

Old 27 Nov 2011, 15:14 (Ref:2991954)   #1
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
adam1312 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coloured helmet padding

where can you get coloured helmet padding like what lewis hamilton has in his senna tribute helmet and like what senna had in his helmets
Old 27 Nov 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2992055)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You win a World Championship and then your helmet sponsor gives you whatever you want!

Seriously, don't think you can. This is all custom made stuff, it is also very expensive.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2992334)   #3
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1312 View Post
where can you get coloured helmet padding like what lewis hamilton has in his senna tribute helmet and like what senna had in his helmets
Easy. Just get in touch with one of the suppliers of nomex fabric.

Then you have to have your helmet either rebuilt with the new fabric - I would guess only the manufacturer would do that for you at great expense - or get someone to build you a custom helmet with it, also at great expense.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2992348)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Then you have to have your helmet either rebuilt with the new fabric - I would guess only the manufacturer would do that for you at great expense - or get someone to build you a custom helmet with it, also at great expense.
It would have to be done by the manufacturer to keep any safety standards. I would think that helmet cost more than most clubbies spend on a season's racing.
Adam, go to a Model Zone shop I expect you could find a small replica of it for a week's pocket money.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2992374)   #5
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would you want coloured helmet padding? You cant see it with the visor down anyway, it will get grubby faster and almost be impossible to do as said above on most Arai/Bell helmets as the interier is bonded to the shell after being lined.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2992389)   #6
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD Motorsport View Post
Why would you want coloured helmet padding? You cant see it with the visor down anyway, it will get grubby faster and almost be impossible to do as said above on most Arai/Bell helmets as the interier is bonded to the shell after being lined.
Because Adam is a Hamilton Fan and Lewis is a Senna fan

As Senna had a green lined helmet, Lewis had to have one made for him, and because World Champion and multi-milliionaire Lewis has one, Adam thinks he needs one, despite not having any race experience and only a tiny budget.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2992391)   #7
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
It would have to be done by the manufacturer to keep any safety standards. I would think that helmet cost more than most clubbies spend on a season's racing.
Adam, go to a Model Zone shop I expect you could find a small replica of it for a week's pocket money.
Yeah. I would guess (and it's a BIG guess), than an F1 standard helmet, custom made to his sizes, with special lining fabric, painted to his special spec would be around what... £20k?

Some of that will be done for free because of the sponsorship tie ins, but nevertheless not a cheap helmet!!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2992395)   #8
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Probably not as high as that.

Carbon lid - £2500 - £5000
Intercom etc - £1000?
Paint job - £300-£1000

In other words a few season's of karting........

Adam, for the love of god, just start racing SOMETHING already.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2992411)   #9
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
The carbon lids off the shelf are that much, but I bet Lewis has a 'custom' visor lock, the extra inserts used since Massa's crash, made-to-measure internals, McLaren specific aerodynamic details... All of which push the price up drastically as it becomes VERY low volume..

But as I said, I'm guessing. I'll never make that enquiring phone call to find out either!!!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 13:23 (Ref:2992419)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure I saw something about MSC's happy hat costing $12K and that was back in 2009
Old 28 Nov 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2992610)   #11
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
The carbon lids off the shelf are that much, but I bet Lewis has a 'custom' visor lock, the extra inserts used since Massa's crash, made-to-measure internals, McLaren specific aerodynamic details... All of which push the price up drastically as it becomes VERY low volume..

But as I said, I'm guessing. I'll never make that enquiring phone call to find out either!!!
I think Lewis just has an Arai GP6-RC carbon lid, with standard aero bits as supplied by Arai....I remember reading about Heikki's when he was at McMerc, he had the same, and all the extra bits were from Arai's standard range...

The GP6-RC (including aero kit) will set you back about £3,300...plus painting you would probably be looking at about the £4,000 mark. I think Jason Fowler still does Lewis's lids, has done since his karting days...

Lewis's lid on Carjam....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0jvXNjlAA

Last edited by Hubble; 28 Nov 2011 at 20:24.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2992809)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is the GP6-RC one of the FIA top spec helmets? Snell 2010 doesn't cut it for F1, there's an FIA specific standard.

Oh and according to Autosport I was wrong. You don't win a World Championship and get given it, Autosport.com says he paid for the inserts himself especially.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2993224)   #13
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway...

Adam - you don't.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2993861)   #14
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Because Adam is a Hamilton Fan and Lewis is a Senna fan
And because the race was at Interlagos. In Brazil. In other words a slightly pathetic plea for local support. Hamilton really has problems inside that helmet, doesn't he?

That's the unkind interpretation.
This is the kind one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/15904811.stm

John
Old 1 Dec 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2993964)   #15
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Well its unfair to rib a guy for this, sure asking for the same thing a millionaire has is a bit far fetched but come on, its all boys toys at the end of the day and this is what just makes people lose interest in this forum.

One thing is though it is a bit fickle because this guy didnt think about modifying a helmet in this way before the brazilian gp, best cheapest solution, you could soak the hell out of it with green dye, might not work as its a darker colour or it might smear off, and it might cause a chemical or allergic reaction or it might break down some of the compounds in the helmet, but ask a scrute and fabrics person and do a test and that might be your best bet... but thats a bit of a crazy idea anyway
Old 1 Dec 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2994027)   #16
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many seconds a lap faster would coloured helmet padding make you?
Old 1 Dec 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2994030)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
One thing is though it is a bit fickle because this guy didnt think about modifying a helmet in this way before the brazilian gp, best cheapest solution, you could soak the hell out of it with green dye, might not work as its a darker colour or it might smear off, and it might cause a chemical or allergic reaction or it might break down some of the compounds in the helmet, but ask a scrute and fabrics person and do a test and that might be your best bet... but thats a bit of a crazy idea anyway
I do that with my green practice and wet weather boots. When it rains my toes go green and usually takes a week of so for the dye to wear away. Of course world champions and future world champions dont have this problem.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2994067)   #18
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
Well its unfair to rib a guy for this, sure asking for the same thing a millionaire has is a bit far fetched but come on, its all boys toys at the end of the day and this is what just makes people lose interest in this forum.

If you think the ribbing is unfair you should check out all the other threads started by the OP, see all the good advice he has ignored, the constant repeating of inane questions, then maybe you'll understand why he doesn't get any sympathy...

Topics so far:
Helmet design, helmet padding colour, Intersteps, sponsorship, karting, books to make you drive faster, driver fitness....

This has been going on since early this year...he thinks he's going to be the next Lewis Hamilton...and he's not even racing yet. Why waste time worrying about what colour to have helmet padding? I would wager he doesn't even have a helmet yet...
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2994071)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Hubble, I think you've just about hit the proverbial on the head so not much point in carrying on with with this one any more.
Closed Thread