Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Sep 2019, 05:26 (Ref:3929018)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Singapore Grand Prix 2019: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 15 of 21

Singapore holds its twelfth World Championship Grand Prix this weekend. A symbol of the contemporary tendency of iconic circuit surroundings and modern entertainment razzmatazz, the Marina Bay circuit played host to Formula 1’s first ever night race in 2008.

A 318,000 watt capacity is required to pump the circuit with artificial lighting and the definition of the different elements of the cars is fantastic as they shimmer under the floodlights, with sparks from the underside particularly prominent.

With 23 corners (14 left-handers and 9 right-handers), it has more turns than any other Grand Prix on the calendar and at 61 laps, it generally goes on to become the longest race in the season, running to the 2 hour limit before the laps have been completed. The shortest race here was last year's 1 hour 51 minutes.

On past form, the safety car is almost a certainty – it has appeared at least once in every Grand Prix held here, perhaps most memorably in the first ever Formula 1 race, when Renault’s Nelson Piquet agreed to crash in order to assist Fernando Alonso (who went on to controversially take the first victory) and in 2015, when during a safety car period, a spectator got through a gap and made it onto the track.

The shortest margin of victory here was 0.239 in 2010, with Alonso beating Vettel, although in 2016, Ricciardo ran winner Rosberg home close after a frantic battle near the end, with the margin 0.488 at the end. Vettel did manage to hold off Alonso by almost 33 seconds in his 2013 win, however.

The race goes back further than 2008, though, as there was a Grand Prix in Singapore in 1961, named the Orient Year Grand Prix. It formed part of a campaign called ‘Visit Singapore – The Orient Year’ to attract tourists to the region and it took place on a street track named the Thomson Road Circuit. Ian Barnwell in an Aston Martin DB3S won the inaugural race.

The race later became the Singapore Grand Prix in 1966 after the country gained independence and was run to Formula Libre rules. It was known for being a dangerous track with ‘The Hump’ one of the corners, a right-hander through which the cars left the ground and unofficially had a section which became known as ‘Murder Mile and a corner nicknamed Devil’s Bend.

Of the current field, the new incarnation of the race has been won only by Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel - four times each, with Vettel taking the spoils in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015) and Hamilton in 2009, 2014, 2017 and 2018.

Memorable moments include Timo Glock's second place for Toyota in 2009, Michael Schumacher's various collisions with other drivers in 2010 and 2011 and Kimi Räikkönen's crash with team-mate Vettel and Max Verstappen off the startline in 2017, which wiped them all out of the race.

Circuit length: 5.063km
Number of laps: 61
Race distance: 308.706km
Dry weather tyre compounds: C3, C4 & C5
Race Lap Record: 1:41.905 (2018 – Kevin Magnussen - Haas-Ferrari)
First Grand Prix in Singapore: 1961
First Singapore Grand Prix: 1966
First World Championship Grand Prix: 2008

To join in our predictions contest and Fantasy F1 contest, go here: https://tentenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Constructors’ championship standings: https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2019/team.html

Drivers' championship standings: https://www.formula1.com/en/results....9/drivers.html

Singapore Grand Prix tyre choices:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...aKAFTfKO1.html
Old 20 Sep 2019, 13:29 (Ref:3929091)   #2
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My God. In the UK today. Have been listening to BBC Radio 5 extra. Is the commentary always this childish? They sound like a bunch os 16 year olds on a school trip.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3929097)   #3
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Cracking intro as normal BR. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3929108)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Cracking intro as normal BR. Thanks for taking the time.
This^^^
Old 20 Sep 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3929109)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Getting ready for yet another 2019 borefest. Still this time I'll watch it in Albanian on Saturday and The C4 highlights on Sunday. Of course all day Sunday I shall make sure I'm immersed in playing with my MGB etc. All so I don't get any spoilers of course.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3929118)   #6
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Great intro as ever, thanks!

I'd been contemplating going to this race as part of a 5-day cruise / 3 days at the race package.......but couldn't really justify going that far for a week, and as a cruise virgin I'm still not convinced I'd enjoy it. Having seen that the temperature at the circuit is in the low 30s with high humidity I think I'm glad I didn't go......tho I'm sure the atmosphere is great.

A few dramas in FP1 with Bottas sticking it into the wall at Turn 16 (I think) and LeClerc limping into the pits with gearbox maladies, but both out on track again in FP2. Looking like being a Lewis v Max show, so far......not sure that'll be a borefest, Peter
Old 20 Sep 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3929119)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It'll be as boring as Austria, Monza, Germany, Hungary and all the.others.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3929125)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dull, dull, dull.......
Old 21 Sep 2019, 04:35 (Ref:3929199)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As always, thanks BR for the intro! Doubt I’ll see or hear any of Q or the race as at Monza, so will have to catch up afterwards.....
Old 21 Sep 2019, 05:15 (Ref:3929203)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thanks to BR for the intro. Already things are happening with Bottas crashing and Checo and Kevin having a clash
Old 21 Sep 2019, 05:54 (Ref:3929206)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Doubt I’ll see or hear any of Q or the race as at Monza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I shall make sure I'm immersed in playing with my MGB etc.
Enjoy!

Glad people enjoyed the intro. It is easy to write one about a dramatic-looking place like this, but there isn't that much history to the Grand Prix yet.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3929237)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That was interesting, just as qually finished we had an earthquake. I missed Di Resta's interviews. Well, when I say "missed".............................
Old 21 Sep 2019, 15:16 (Ref:3929238)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent intro as ever.

I thought Singapore was supposed to suit the Mercs, as Leclerc gets his third consecutive pole and Hamilton and Bottas are 2nd and 5th? Let's hope this makes for an interesting race.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3929254)   #14
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 21 Sep 2019, 19:34 (Ref:3929275)   #15
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA had said DQ for the above. Now we need to know if Riccardo starts in pit lane or behind the Williams
Old 21 Sep 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3929278)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is a joke they are so inconsistent with the rules. Sainz didn’t even get a warning for when he forced Albon wide at Monza and here Dani Ric gets to start at the back.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3929285)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great pole from Itiseye. I thought Vettel’s lap was fantastic and then Leclerc got a couple of tenths on it.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 23:39 (Ref:3929301)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Does anyone know if this sort of transgression is one that can occur by accident or does it suggest a more sinister attempt to circumvent the regs?
Old 22 Sep 2019, 00:23 (Ref:3929308)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Does anyone know if this sort of transgression is one that can occur by accident or does it suggest a more sinister attempt to circumvent the regs?
Renault claim the breach was for a spike lasting a microsecond, and was caused by a kerb hit. But they admitted their guilt.

Quote:
The breach had in fact occurred during Q1, in which the Australian was 12th quickest, and indeed not even on his fastest lap during that 18-minute stanza.

The Renault F1 Team also argued that the breach, which was exceeding the MGU-K power flow limit, was so small as to not offer a performance advantage anyway.

However, neither of those factors were considered to have mitigated the offence, consistent with previous practice.

“It was established in the hearing, beyond any doubt in the opinion of the Stewards, that the competitor exceeded the MGU- power flow limit permitted under Appendix 3, per Article 5.2.2 of the 2019 Formula One Technical Regulations,” read the stewards report.

“The method by which this limit is regulated is well known and understood by the teams. Neither the fact that the car had exceeded the limit nor the methodology by which it is policed was disputed by the team.

“The team’s defense rested on two points. First, that the excess was very small and offered no measurable benefit. Second, that the excess occurred during the second fastest lap during Q1.

“The team explained to the Stewards how they believe the excess occurred, however the Stewards consider this information to be confidential to the team, and not relevant to this decision.

“Notwithstanding the team’s arguments, the Stewards take note of the very clear wording of Article 1.2.2 ISC, which states that ‘If an Automobile is found not to comply with the applicable technical regulations, it shall be no defense to claim that no performance advantage was obtained’.

“In coming to this decision the Stewards referred to longstanding precedents regarding technical infringements and the penalty which has been consistently applied is disqualification, and which does not consider when or if an advantage was gained. This principle has been very clearly affirmed by the International Court of Appeal.

“The Stewards therefore order Car 3 disqualified from the results of Qualifying.”

The summons issued to Renault does not reveal the magnitude of the breach, only that the threshold was exceeded.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/09/22...gp-qualifying/
Old 22 Sep 2019, 00:55 (Ref:3929312)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cheers. Thanks E.B
Old 22 Sep 2019, 01:08 (Ref:3929314)   #21
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
“In coming to this decision the Stewards referred to longstanding precedents regarding technical infringements and the penalty which has been consistently applied is disqualification, and which does not consider when or if an advantage was gained. This principle has been very clearly affirmed by the International Court of Appeal. (From above)

So when it suits them the stewards rigidly enforce rules that seem to be clearly very unfair citing precedents, but the sporting rules have no precedents and they just make up inconsistent rulings to suit themselves.

Discounting the lap that Ricciardo's car had the curb strike on would seem to be the way to go on this, it wasn't like the condition persisted at any other time during qualifying. No, cite precedent and bring down a completely unfair ruling.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 01:43 (Ref:3929323)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Old 22 Sep 2019, 02:46 (Ref:3929335)   #23
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
“In coming to this decision the Stewards referred to longstanding precedents regarding technical infringements and the penalty which has been consistently applied is disqualification, and which does not consider when or if an advantage was gained. This principle has been very clearly affirmed by the International Court of Appeal. (From above)

So when it suits them the stewards rigidly enforce rules that seem to be clearly very unfair citing precedents, but the sporting rules have no precedents and they just make up inconsistent rulings to suit themselves.

Discounting the lap that Ricciardo's car had the curb strike on would seem to be the way to go on this, it wasn't like the condition persisted at any other time during qualifying. No, cite precedent and bring down a completely unfair ruling.
Wow, delusional much there? The rules so actually specifically address the issue at hand. It's not a tough decision and the regs actually say in plain clear wording the result of the violation in lap time is immaterial, the violation itself is worthy of penalty and the penalty is most always exclusion from the session for technical violations.
On track action is NOT in the tech regs so bark up another tree with those complaints.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 06:32 (Ref:3929355)   #24
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Wow, delusional much there? The rules so actually specifically address the issue at hand. It's not a tough decision and the regs actually say in plain clear wording the result of the violation in lap time is immaterial, the violation itself is worthy of penalty and the penalty is most always exclusion from the session for technical violations.
On track action is NOT in the tech regs so bark up another tree with those complaints.
Setting aside the rather nasty and wholly unnecessary personal insult.

A technical breach would almost exclusively occur across a session or would affect a result across a session. In Ricciardo’s case the technical violation can be pinned down to a single instance shown as a spike on the telemetry. The deletion of the lap on which it occurred would negate any possible effect or benefit that it could have caused.

Regarding the application of the DQ penalty that you allege should automatically apply may I point you in the direction of:
The 30 second penalties incurred by Alfa Romeo at the 2019 German GP for clutch irregularities.
The 5000 Euro fine for Mercedes carrying fuel at too low a temperature in Lewis’ car in Practice 1 here at Singapore – not exclusion from results of the session.
2016 Hulkenberg in the Force India penalized one grid place for the use of tyres during qualification that should have been handed back before qualifying.

So it would certainly seem there is a strong precedent of penalties other than a DQ being used in instances of technical irregularities.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 07:52 (Ref:3929361)   #25
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
The rules state session DQ for this breach. Why keep arguing?

The team understands that for sure, just not the DR fanboys?