Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2002, 12:10 (Ref:316034)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
2003 Le Mans

Sounds a long way away but I know many of you are already putting together your plans for next year, so now seems the best time to ask the question...

Can we organise a proper meet up at some point next year which we can all get along to ? Either on the Friday when, apart from the loonies on the Mulsanne there is little else to do (okay, I know some of us don't want to miss that either!!) or sometime during the race - maybe at Arnage at midnight ??

Anyone reckon it's a good idea ? I was looking forward to meeting half a dozen new peeps but ended up seeing only TimD, SL and Nordic. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it'd have been nice to meet more!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 12:13 (Ref:316039)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Name the time and the place and I WILL be there, only 362 day to go and I can not wait
Old 18 Jun 2002, 12:42 (Ref:316067)   #3
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig, if you are talking about next year I guess you enjoyed your first visit to LM?
I plan to return next year for my 24th vist (I started young) just have to pick my time to tell the wife!
hopefully SL and the rest of us will also return next year and would like to met up.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 13:11 (Ref:316085)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, I certainly did enjoy my first Le Mans - which is why I was so pleased to get back this year! Hopefully see you all there again next year!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 13:23 (Ref:316092)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Friday seems as good a day as any, I would think. However, I might suggest that the meet takes place sometime in the morning or after around 6pm. Some of us do like to watch the carshow that is "Mad Friday", and I for one don't particularly like taking my own car out amongst the lunatic element while it's going on.

There were one or two rather frightening moments this year, usually involving large Kawasakis trying to do "stoppies" at Arnage.

May I suggest evening drinkies at the bar of the Shangai 24 heures? Perhaps some might try a sit-down meal. The duck is absolutely sublime.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 13:31 (Ref:316101)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aside: what is "Mad Friday?"
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Jun 2002, 13:42 (Ref:316106)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Mad Friday"? Stroll out to the circuit between Virage Mulsanne and Arnage during the day. Basically, the most spectacular road cars that have come to the circuit come out to show off. Some park up and take in the atmosphere, some cruise the open part of the circuit, and some take the opportunity to really let rip with the performance of their cars.

It's spectacular and more than a little frightening at times.

Among this year's highlights:

An impromptu car park of 50+ Morgans
a black race-prepped V12 Jaguar E Type
a real Jaguar D Type
a concours Lamborghini Muira which got its nose shunted during the proceedings.
a pair of vintage Bentleys
some truly mad superbike riders. Seriously worrying.
two girls and their Triumph Spitfire - with something V8 burbling under the bonnet
More TVRs than you could shake a stick at
Caterhams and tuned 911s all over the place
And examples of Stratos, Ultima, Pantera, Diablo, Ferrari 355, 512 and Testarossa, Maserati Ghibli and Bora, XK120, Alfa Giulietta, Aston Vantage and DB4, BMW Z1 etc

Last year, even Stirling Moss took part, in a Jaguar C Type, just cruising the strip and signing autographs.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:51 (Ref:316151)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Indeed, it's fun!

And maybe this is the ideal place to meet ?!

How about a meet up at Arnage mid day Friday. We could cook a meal - I hope to have my motorhome down there next year - and then sit and watch the world go by. At high speed and, on occasion, sideways...
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:51 (Ref:316154)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tim, you missed out the articulated lorry on its side at the roundabout at the Mulsanne corner mid morning, forcing myself and fellow forum member 'GinettaG27' (a.k.a. Evil Phil) to take a scenic route (in his eponymous motorcar) back to Arnage, where we saw a new Lambo Murcelargo (however it is spelt).

We did see the ladies in the loud Spitty, giving it some beans in the other direction. I assumed it 'just' had a GT6 engine but will defer to your more highly tuned ear.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:11 (Ref:316169)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
a meet up at Arnage mid day Friday
I definitely vote for that one !!!

I was in the pitlane friday morning and afternoon, cutting my "balade" with a round track trip, cruising between Mulsanne and Arnage (saw the lorry down !), and... terrific cars, but lots of drivers taking lots of risks !

Saw the ***** water battle starting too... and lots of things...

Well, what about a Ten-Tenths Club, Craig (innocent question, I dunno if it's possible - a TT cap, to recognize ? I'll wear, as this year, my Ayse Tee-shirt !) ?

Hope it will be as sunny as this year !

Last edited by Fab; 18 Jun 2002 at 15:12.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:18 (Ref:316173)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
SL told us about the truck when we bumped into each other at Indianapolis and we set off on foot to go have a look. Didn't actually get that far in the end but the Spitfire Girls did nearly run us down! The section of road was closed for a while shortly after this and we sat at the crossroads at Arnage watching the battle between the local Gendarmes and the various Ferrari/Porsche/BMW drivers who's opinion on whether the road was open or not differed slightly! The funniest moment though was reserved for the driver of the 40ft artic who decided he was going to try and run the roadblock...!!

The more I think about it, definately the place to be! And if we decide it'll be nice to meet up again over the weekend then we can organise that there and then...
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:19 (Ref:316174)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
PS about the cap/T shirt idea. I'll have a think... might be nice to do a '10 Tenths Le Mans 2003 tour' special edition!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:27 (Ref:316178)   #13
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I agree, we need to organise something well in advance. I was quite disappointed not to meet up with people, especially Ayse who I still owe a beer, (hope he isn't counting interest on it)! I would love to be there on Friday, but as I will hopefully have a 6 month old child by then, I may well have to do the weekend coach trip. So please, at least one meeting during the race, somewhere around the village.

I certainly think we ought to organise a ten-tenths t-shirt, maybe something other than a white background though. I was looking for the tourists t-shirts but when 90% of shirts are white it is rather difficult!

Finally, does anyone want to think about organising a ten-tenths trip? I know the plans fell through this year a bit, but there are a few of us who travel in ones and twos who would probably like to join a bigger group. Nothing too pricey though. If we were camping together we could also keep spaces for late arrivals. Crikey, I am already looking forward to next year, this addiction gets worst!

2003 - Bentley to win Le Mans again!!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:42 (Ref:316191)   #14
Stoffer Green
Rookie

Stoffer Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayse's T shirts are BLACK, which means they absorb heat and get quite fruity by the end of the day, and thus explains why none of us wore them on Sunday! Except Fab of course - but he had time to go home on Saturday night and get his washed.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:47 (Ref:316196)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoffer Green
Except Fab of course - but he had time to go home on Saturday night and get his washed.
Get MYSELF washed, you wanna say...

Beeing in the grandstand, I less suffer of the heat, part of saturday... well, almost
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:49 (Ref:316199)   #16
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AllonFS, your idea with the t-shirt is realy good. We should get together about the design. Maybe someone knows a cheap source for the shirts and printing the logo. Then we need a list who want's to order one. Maybe it's wise that it can be ordered via the 10-10ths site. It's not that hard to organise and it has the benefit that we don't walk past each other next year. How about a shirt in the 10-10ths yellow color ? That should be easy to spot.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:49 (Ref:316200)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Is there a lot of "grandstand addicts" here ? Maybe it's a question of price, I have to admit ...

I was thinking about a more or less quite place... with commodities not too far (drinks, etc...), and something to see during the waiting of pals...

Craig, I pay my tee-shirt right now if you plan to make one

And remember... September, next meeting !!!

Last edited by Fab; 18 Jun 2002 at 15:52.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:49 (Ref:316201)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
this addiction gets worst!
And it's just the beginning !

Last edited by Fab; 18 Jun 2002 at 15:50.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 15:54 (Ref:316207)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by hgb
AllonFS, your idea with the t-shirt is realy good. We should get together about the design. Maybe someone knows a cheap source for the shirts and printing the logo. Then we need a list who want's to order one. Maybe it's wise that it can be ordered via the 10-10ths site. It's not that hard to organise and it has the benefit that we don't walk past each other next year. How about a shirt in the 10-10ths yellow color ? That should be easy to spot.
Something simplier : just send the draw (that make us buy the tee-shirt itself)

--> yellow seems wonderful, easy to spot, etc... I'll by one next week-end
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:06 (Ref:316213)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I'll have a think about the T shirt/cap idea and get back to you. It's a long way off yet though so let's just stick to worrying about where we're gonna meet up not hwo we're gonna recognise each other
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:24 (Ref:316221)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope to be there next year for my 1st le Mans!!!

And to be honest it can't come soon enough. I really wanted to go this year but couldn't so maybe next year....

And as for T shirts.....

....Hopefully a Team Davey one for me!!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:41 (Ref:316231)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm only going if a British manufacturers car is there! What's that? Who's Bentley ?!

It'd be a great way to celebrate the end of my exams next year and the end of school for me !

Anyone give me a rough idea of prices/how/who to travel with? Buy a package tour ( i take it these are arranged from the ads in Autosport) or arrange tickets and travel myself ?

Cheers, and if you don't want to appear rich in public just PM me
Old 18 Jun 2002, 16:54 (Ref:316240)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend

It'd be a great way to celebrate the end of my exams next year and the end of school for me !
Celebrate end of exams? They put it smack bang in the middle of mine.... for the last 3 years.

Do your ones finish earlier then?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 17:11 (Ref:316249)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm in Scotland you see, we are like a month in front on England, our exams start in early May, we go on Summer Holiday next Friday and go back in August. I think in England you go back in September - that's the reason.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 20:14 (Ref:316442)   #25
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pah, exams... just buy the shirt. No seriously, good luck with your exams. I hope everythings works how you wish. But let's not forget that idea with a 10-10ths shirt. Maybe yellow isn't that great because it may clash with the *****. How about the 10-10ths blue instead. I'm pretty sure I walked past some 10-10er this weekend because my feet are flat out. It's time to relax again for one year, how sad that feels. No wait, the FIA GT's will be in Spa in August. A ray of hope... flat feet.