Old 6 Jan 2004, 10:09 (Ref:829243)   #1
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blue Book for 2004

Hi All,
My wife has recieved her timekeepers licence and Blue book from the MSA for 2004. Having looked through it I failed to find the section on Flags and the flag diagrams for the drivers. Also I could not find any mention of the different flags and what they are for. There is a small bit saying drivers should obey them. I could be blind as I'm a mere Observer but if anyone else has this years Blue Book have a look and let me know what you find.
RS
Old 6 Jan 2004, 12:21 (Ref:829349)   #2
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another excuse to pass under yellows
Old 6 Jan 2004, 12:25 (Ref:829352)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you'll find its in exactly the same section as last year and more or less on the same page! Seriously though, I can't remember which Section as my Blue Book is at home. However, there is a full page of full colour flag signals!
Old 6 Jan 2004, 12:36 (Ref:829366)   #4
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rzsio396,

You will find the flag signals on page 25 under section B in the 2004 blue book.

Hope that helps.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 12:43 (Ref:829370)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like I said - exactly where they were last year!
Old 6 Jan 2004, 13:17 (Ref:829406)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice one Rich -all the qualities of a good obs!
Old 6 Jan 2004, 13:20 (Ref:829409)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
*chuckles to himself*
Old 6 Jan 2004, 18:00 (Ref:829682)   #8
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
oops yes your all correct and thanks for that. How I am going to find my way to the NEC this weekend let alone find the BMMC stand I'll never know. If you see a lost sole with extremely thick glasses on wandering the motorway please pick me up!!!. Also my dog will not bite and is car trained.
RS.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 18:50 (Ref:829723)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by rzsio396
If you see a lost sole with extremely thick glasses on wandering the motorway please pick me up!!!.
Shouldn't be difficult. You don't see too many fish driving on the motorway...
Old 6 Jan 2004, 20:56 (Ref:829832)   #10
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the question of the Blue Book, does it appear on line anywhere ??

ACU publish their equivalent in Acrobat ver
Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:26 (Ref:829935)   #11
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Pixie,
Have a look on the MSA web page. I am not sure if it is on the web but the page will give you contact details of how to get a copy. Woolley very good.
RS
Old 7 Jan 2004, 11:18 (Ref:830351)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Become an Observer at oulton Park......you get one given for free!!!
Old 7 Jan 2004, 15:28 (Ref:830607)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pixie
On the question of the Blue Book, does it appear on line anywhere ??

ACU publish their equivalent in Acrobat ver
I believe that in line with the MSA's mid 20th century approach to many things, the electronic version costs more than the paper one and is only available by getting the CD. Of course I can always hope they have proved me wrong by putting it on their website this year. Or perhaps they already have and are still employing a Klingon to do the site navigation with announcements by telepathy.

Bah.

Jim

(Even the FIA have the Yellow book available electronically. )
Old 7 Jan 2004, 21:00 (Ref:830907)   #14
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As most of the Blue Book is irrelevant to most marshals why don't the MSA produce a slimmed down version just covering things like flags and safety car regs (all of them, and what series they govern)and send it with our licences? That way we can all keep abreast of changes, even if we can't get to training days.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 22:25 (Ref:830968)   #15
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
I believe that in line with the MSA's mid 20th century approach to many things, the electronic version costs more than the paper one and is only available by getting the CD. Of course I can always hope they have proved me wrong by putting it on their website this year. Or perhaps they already have and are still employing a Klingon to do the site navigation with announcements by telepathy.

Bah.

Jim

(Even the FIA have the Yellow book available electronically. )
Why don't they just include a link to this site? Seems like most of the answers are here anyway!!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 06:40 (Ref:831240)   #16
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As most of the Blue Book is irrelevant to most marshals why don't the MSA produce a slimmed down version just covering things like flags and safety car regs (all of them, and what series they govern)and send it with our licences? That way we can all keep abreast of changes, even if we can't get to training days.
Why dont they just send the whole one to marshals? I get one every year and it comes in useful sometimes. And that way observers would know what flags were what LOL
Old 8 Jan 2004, 08:16 (Ref:831275)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
I'm not biting!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 09:31 (Ref:831311)   #18
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But seriously how are flaggers /marshals supposed to know what rules hve been changed, esp as flags aren't don't invited to attend the obs briefing as to whats happening and 50% of the time there isn't on obs on post anyway.

To anyone with the new blue book... Have any of the safety car regs changed this year?? with regards to yellow flags etc
Old 8 Jan 2004, 11:08 (Ref:831390)   #19
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by brickkicker
Why dont they just send the whole one to marshals? I get one every year and it comes in useful sometimes. And that way observers would know what flags were what LOL
Here! Here! Every marshal should get one when they get their new licence.

The ACU send me the equivalent without me asking for it every year why can't the MSA?

Old 8 Jan 2004, 11:32 (Ref:831409)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Mark, I find it hard to believe there is no Observer on post for 50% of the time and even if their isn't a qualified Observer, someone should take on the role of 'post chief'. From my experience Observers and Flag Marshals are asked to attend briefings. On a worse case scenario, the marshal acting as Observer should have attended the briefing and then passed on any information to his/her team once on post.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 11:37 (Ref:831413)   #21
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee
Here! Here! Every marshal should get one when they get their new licence.
The Blue Book is really for competitors - so I can't see why every marshal would need one.

As an Observer, I get one provided by the BRSCC NW region and it comes in useful now and again.
However, it doesn't affect the way I report something to race control.

It's sometimes handy to know all the rules and regs for racing etc but are you really going to sit (on the loo) and read it from cover to cover?

Am I waffling?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:15 (Ref:831450)   #22
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Am I waffling?
No more than normal
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:23 (Ref:831457)   #23
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by mark ch
....esp as flags aren't don't invited to attend the obs briefing as to whats happening...
The Observer/Post Chief's briefing is for ALL personnel who are working on the post, whether they be incident marshals, flaggies or medical teams.
I find that some flag marshals simply choose to wander off and set up their stall and then come moaning when they weren't informed of something.
If some detail of the running of the event changes after my briefing, then I would ensure that all persons are updated accordingly. But if any marshal chooses not to attend the briefing, then that's up to the individual.
Medical teams often arrive just before the commencement of practice, so I often go and speak to them at the earliest opportunity.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:40 (Ref:831472)   #24
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mark ch
But seriously how are flaggers /marshals supposed to know what rules hve been changed, . . .
Mark

By attending one of the many training days which clubs work so hard to put on during the closed season.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 8 Jan 2004 at 12:41.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:42 (Ref:831478)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Are Safety Car regs governed by the MSA or by the organising club?
Not all SC Regs are the same!

Tags
blue book