Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:45 (Ref:910054)   #1
dangeradam
Rookie

dangeradam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gold Coast Event

What is in place as far as the super car agreement goes. Given that this week both Rahal and Fernandez have walked to IRL and owrs is still fairly up in the air.

What are the chances of the Cart cars not coming and if they don't will it be a supercar event.

I know this topic has been raised before but with these recent developments i thought it would be intresting to see what people think, keeping in mind the success of the Adelaide V8 headlined event.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 04:06 (Ref:910166)   #2
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that the Queensland Government has made it clear that if there is no Indy Cars then there is no event.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 04:11 (Ref:910176)   #3
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that would give shanghai a couple more weeks to make the event work :P
Old 19 Mar 2004, 04:52 (Ref:910226)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the court case against the Qld Govt would be lodged within seconds by the AVESCO-ites, and with good reason!

I think CART will run a couple of races, but dont really believe it can last the year
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Mar 2004, 04:56 (Ref:910232)   #5
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a shame, cart used to get good exposure for mine on channel ten, was worth staying up for when i finish worka t midnight during da week

not looking good for kart this year, but still, as ive said regarding f3 and f4000 in oz, perhaps there is too many series, and combining the irl and cart, or becoming one big series, would perhaps be the best thing.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 05:24 (Ref:910253)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
And the court case against the Qld Govt would be lodged within seconds by the AVESCO-ites, and with good reason!
Why would they? Whilst none of us know the contents of any contracts signed, you can bet all the tea in China that it will be subject to the actual CART race going ahead...
Old 19 Mar 2004, 05:30 (Ref:910259)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it depends what assurances have been made by the GCMEC as to the likelihood of the race being on... there is no way it would be on the calendar without some level of assurance!
Old 19 Mar 2004, 05:44 (Ref:910271)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

What I was getting at - at this point in time CART is coming. But, if they do what they have already done in the US and cancel the race - that becomes an issue with the Gold Coast organisers and CART.

But I would have thought that this contingency is written in to any contract between the GC organisers and AVESCO, Procar and anyone else appearing on the program.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 05:46 (Ref:910273)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Most likely is RaceTime... and TC will earn his money by either engforcing the contract, or extracting the digit to find a new venue in the ttimeframe!
Old 19 Mar 2004, 05:53 (Ref:910276)   #10
RaceTime
Veteran

I would suggest that TC would have no legal comeback if CART cancel - he has been around and thretening for too many years now for promoters not to have learned from his legalistic threats.

Well, hopefully they have.....
Old 19 Mar 2004, 06:02 (Ref:910280)   #11
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you RT, I would imagine that the government would have been prudent enough to have the V8's booked at the CART event and as a support race,no CART ,no need for supports and thus in the clear.AVESCO would however be free to negotiate a seperate V8 race ,and the government may just go for it ,but anyone that thinks it would be as big as the CART race and as worthwile to Qld is dreaming.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 19 Mar 2004, 06:04 (Ref:910282)   #12
Good Old Bazza
Rookie

Good Old Bazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry, justing testing
Old 19 Mar 2004, 07:26 (Ref:910344)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matt H: Whilst what you say makes perfect sense, there are egos involved. And as a general rule, egos and common sense very rarely stand in the same room!

What would be a grand to see would be a Supercar street race, similar to Adelaide, but split so that Saturday was a 100km sprint race in the morning, a 200km race in the afternoon, and a 300km single driver race for the Sunday.

Maybe marry Procar into the equation - less the bomb threats, and add in Carrera Cup with 3 long races, and a host of support billings and it would be just as good as those CART cars.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 13:23 (Ref:910713)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The champ cars add the flavour to the weekend, the something different, the sound, the speed. But no need to worry they'll be here this year, putting on the show. They'll get the cars
Old 19 Mar 2004, 13:43 (Ref:910746)   #15
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you will see PROCAR back at Indy any time soon, not after last time...

Last edited by Bigguy; 19 Mar 2004 at 13:44.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 13:56 (Ref:910765)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
on that subject, what will fill the void that the Procar categories have left. More taxis ??
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:48 (Ref:910870)   #17
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes probably DRT maybe even our taxis will be back there again. I can dream i guess.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 20:53 (Ref:911147)   #18
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The QLD Government put money into the Gold Coast CART race to boost tourism especially from America. The V8s are hardly going to do that.
In saying that Peter Beattie said previously that they would go ahead with the V8s without CART cars. I'm guessing this would only last until current contract is up for renewal. It could also depend on what the contract said i guess. The GCCC would also to approve it i guess.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 22:11 (Ref:911195)   #19
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

Aus.CARTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys need not to worry Champ Cars will have have min 18 drivers this year max 22. some of those drivers include Justin Wilson, Ralph Firman, Mika Salo, Paul Tracy etc.
Champ Cars have had a tough week but expect them to have alot of new anouncemets through out the lead up to long beach in April

Cheers
Old 20 Mar 2004, 08:11 (Ref:911673)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It seems there is a feeling out there in the Supercar land that the Indy race wont go ahead, and that TC will have to source 2 new venues when the Shanghai disaster is finally called time out.

Has me wondering how many race weekends Eastern Creek is booked for....

.... although I heard a suggestion today that AVESCO did not make the margin targets they expected on their self-promoted event last December.. and that VIP isnt scheduled to come back either....
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:07 (Ref:911870)   #21
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
It seems there is a feeling out there in the Supercar land that the Indy race wont go ahead, and that TC will have to source 2 new venues when the Shanghai disaster is finally called time out.

Has me wondering how many race weekends Eastern Creek is booked for....

.... although I heard a suggestion today that AVESCO did not make the margin targets they expected on their self-promoted event last December.. and that VIP isnt scheduled to come back either....
Another round at QR wouldn't go wasted.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:47 (Ref:911919)   #22
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say personally that there will be a Gold Coast Indy round. I'm pretty sure that the Champ Cars will be running with their 18 cars so there should not be too much of a problem.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 09:51 (Ref:916216)   #23
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, here is the link for the current state of the Bathurst redevelopment.

http://www.mfoto.com.au/bathurst/index.html
Old 24 Mar 2004, 08:40 (Ref:917544)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you take the CART guys away from the Gold Coast Indy as it stands you would have less of an event, buy you wouldn't have nothing. Promoted properly, a V8 event at surfers could be as big as Clipsal.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 09:32 (Ref:917619)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

But the whole point of the Gold Coast event is to promote it internationally - which is not something the V8's can accomplish.