Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2179724)   #1
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intake Manifold Heat Barrier Gasket?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a heat barrier material that is widely available and that will work as a gasket between the head and the intake manifold. It seems that the heat from the head is causing the aluminium manifold to heat up quite significantly and affect power. Steel manifolds work OK... the problem only arises with aluminium ones!

As ever... thanks for any replies.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2179758)   #2
ian_w
Racer

England
Towcester
ian_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most plastics will work but the best one is probably Tufnol as it has a very low thermal conductivity. As with any insulator, the thicker you make it the better it will insulate.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2179763)   #3
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try this:http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...T&pcode=NIMG3A
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2179773)   #4
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_w
Most plastics will work but the best one is probably Tufnol as it has a very low thermal conductivity. As with any insulator, the thicker you make it the better it will insulate.
Just had a quick peek on the web and there seems to be a few different varieties of tufnol... SRBP... SRBF... Carp... Whale...

Any chance that you might point a silly boy in the right direction? It seems it can be machined using ordinary metal working materials too?

Peter, your link seems to be good as a heat shield... but probably wouldn't work great between the head and manifold? If I'm wrong... or if there are other types of that material... please do let me know.

Many Thanks

Last edited by av8rirl; 17 Apr 2008 at 12:30.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2179782)   #5
ian_w
Racer

England
Towcester
ian_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the different grades are to do with the type of reinforcing material woven / impregnated into it. I think 'Kite' is the most common type and from memory 'whale' has glass fibre reinforcing. Overall I think any type would work for your job.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2179808)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When I was running a pre crossflow engine I actually used an air line to blow cool air onto the inlet manifold when it was on the dyno. This soon showed that the heat build up was robbing power. It was difficult to make a tufnol type of "sandwich" as its very thin between the ports on that particular type of head. One pretty successful idea I came up with was to run flexible heater tubing from the front grill to the manifold tubes. This kept the power constant throughout the race. Eventually we made a compete inlet manifold with this all built in. Although this took a bit of time it was worth it in the end.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2179811)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
There has been and watch my spelling, a phenolic gasket available for 4 barrell Holly carbs for years and is an old racers trick. I have one in the garage myself but could not get enough hood clearance as its about 12mm thick so could'nt use is.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2179982)   #8
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
talk to mike tanski at ferriday engineering, he as well as special headgaskets he makes insulating gaskets, and wil do one offs to suit any application

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 17 Apr 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2179994)   #9
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
me too , we can make them in any material that takes your fancy tufnol delrin/acetal, klinger ,all sorts realy at bd marine.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2180265)   #10
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
As per usual... when the info is needed... you lads here come up trumps!

Thanks again... I'll make a few phonecalls tomorrow!