Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 7 Nov 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3861626)   #1
GeeVeeF1
Rookie

GeeVeeF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many formal Formula Opel/Vauxhall/GM Lotus were there back in the 1980s/90s?

I am trying to list all the official Formula Opel/Vauxhall/GM Lotus series there were during the 1980s and 1990s and the respective years of service for each championship.

Note: For the purpose of this exercise, I am not counting Formula Vauxhall Junior type series, just the main senior series.

So far I have the following:

- Formula Opel Euroseries (1994-1999) - Formula GM Lotus Euroseries (1988-1993)

- EFDA Nations Cup (1990-1998)

- Formula Opel Lotus German Championship (1988-1998)

- Formula Vauxhall Lotus British Championship (1988-1997)

- Formula Opel Lotus Austrian Championship (1991-1992)

- Formula Opel Lotus Irish Championship (1991?)

- Formula Opel Lotus Benelux Championship (????)

- Formula Opel Lotus Dutch Championship (????)

- Formula Opel Lotus Swedish Championship (????)

- Formula Chevrolet Brazilian Championship (????)

There was also an old Irish series called something along the lines of Formula Europa I believe which used Formula Opel cars back in the early '90s.... or am I just imagining that one??

If anyone can help fill in any of the information gaps above or indeed know of any other championships which I may have missed, your insights would be greatly appreciated -

Many thanks in advance
Old 7 Nov 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3861627)   #2
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
F Europa wasn’t Irish. It’s when Nigel took over and fitted throttle bodies. Replaced by F Chrysler IIRC
Old 7 Nov 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3861636)   #3
GeeVeeF1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
F Europa wasn’t Irish. It’s when Nigel took over and fitted throttle bodies. Replaced by F Chrysler IIRC
I think you are thinking of ISSC (International Single Seater Championship) which morphed into Formula Chrysler Euroseries, no?

Formula Europa used Formula Opel style cars... there are some shown here towards the bottom of this enclosed photo gallery:

http://www.noelroddy.com/content/for...ll-opel-europa
Old 7 Nov 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3861644)   #4
GeeVeeF1
Rookie

Quote:
Are you not thinking about the series formally known as ISSC (International Single Seater Championship) from c.2001 which used Reynards are which was rebranded to Formula Chrysler Euroseries?

The mention of Irish Formula Europa came from this website link find below which has pictures of a series called Irish Formula Europa using Formula Opel style cars yet im not sure if this was the name given to the official Formula Opel Irish series back in the early 90s, or if this was simply an unofficial club level series in Ireland at Mondello Park using Formula Opel type cars?

http://www.noelroddy.com/content/for...ll-opel-europa
Old 8 Nov 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3861827)   #5
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
The question is... where are these cars today?
Old 8 Nov 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3861881)   #6
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Several ended up in the UK based Monoposto championship with Robin Dawe probably the most notable exponent amongst them . There are still a handful of FVLs registered for the Monoposto championship and they not infrequently come up for sale on racecarsdirect etc . There's even part of an FVL for sale on the Monoposto Forum website at the moment !
Old 9 Nov 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3861899)   #7
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Again Formula Europa was not Irish. It was for GM Lotus cars with Jenvey throttle body conversions which added quite a bit of power. It ran for one season but wasn’t that successful, as the cars were ancient technology. It was replaced by Formula Chrysler which was even less successful.

The Formula Europa cars went off to various places and a few were Irish. They were never eligible for Monoposto with the throttle bodies. They tried to make a Class B for ARP F3 but only one car ran, the Adam Wilcox car IIRC, so that was canned too.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3862047)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Again Formula Europa was not Irish. It was for GM Lotus cars with Jenvey throttle body conversions which added quite a bit of power. It ran for one season but wasn’t that successful
There are two different championship. The first being the one reference above. However, there was an Irish championship of the same name in, if I recall correctly, 2000/01 for old Formula Vauxhall Lotus cars.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 23:11 (Ref:3862070)   #9
peebee2
Veteran

Thanks for clarifying
Old 10 Nov 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3862126)   #10
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there was a Formula Vauxhall/Opel series in Belgium in the early 2000s.
Old 11 Nov 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3862592)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Probably best move this to history!
Old 3 Apr 2022, 19:40 (Ref:4105256)   #12
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeVeeF1 View Post
I am trying to list all the official Formula Opel/Vauxhall/GM Lotus series there were during the 1980s and 1990s and the respective years of service for each championship.

Note: For the purpose of this exercise, I am not counting Formula Vauxhall Junior type series, just the main senior series.

So far I have the following:

- Formula Opel Euroseries (1994-1999) - Formula GM Lotus Euroseries (1988-1993)

- EFDA Nations Cup (1990-1998)

- Formula Opel Lotus German Championship (1988-1998)

- Formula Vauxhall Lotus British Championship (1988-1997)

- Formula Opel Lotus Austrian Championship (1991-1992)

- Formula Opel Lotus Irish Championship (1991?)

- Formula Opel Lotus Benelux Championship (????)

- Formula Opel Lotus Dutch Championship (????)

- Formula Opel Lotus Swedish Championship (????)

- Formula Chevrolet Brazilian Championship (????)

There was also an old Irish series called something along the lines of Formula Europa I believe which used Formula Opel cars back in the early '90s.... or am I just imagining that one??

If anyone can help fill in any of the information gaps above or indeed know of any other championships which I may have missed, your insights would be greatly appreciated -

Many thanks in advance
Do You have a Champions List för the German Series? just tried to find it, but was unsuccessful