Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Nov 2018, 09:52 (Ref:3864437)   #101
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Without disrespecting your post @bella, saying that halo could have saved Sophia from her back injury is also a big assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I love the consistent keyboard warrior syndrome on display. Everyone else can have a reasoned discussion and two who show a consistent lack of racing knowledge decide this of us discussing things are clueless.

I pointed to a kerb that was not there last year and you called me "keyboard warrior"? Really?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3864492)   #102
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Manx TT is still alive, despite all the horrendous crashes. I see no reason why Macau will disappear.

A halo wouldn't have helped much. The problem with formula cars is the lack of crushable structures. I think sooner or later formula cars will resemble sports prototypes.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3864495)   #103
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let's not overreact, there's been worse crashes. This one was just unlucky
Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:58 (Ref:3864520)   #104
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Motorsports is dangerous. We all know that. Still, pointing the finger to the circuit's nature seems to me a non-sense.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3864540)   #105
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My 2 cents: it's always a good time to have a rational debate about improving safety, but certainly even more so after a scary incident like this.

It's never good when a sporting / racing headline becomes a "news headline" (I found out about this on a general news site).

FWIW, the only times I hear / see anything about this circuit, it involves a bad crash of some sort; perhaps I should be paying more attention..

Okay, 3 cents...
Old 20 Nov 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3864553)   #106
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're joking aren't you? She's perceived as OK, the video's exciting and gone viral. Best publicity motor sport has had for ages, far better than a droning F1 driver in a droning F1 car.

It may not be polite to say so, but the majority of people out there see motor sport as a source of thrills and spills. Even Goodwood is getting in on the act by using crash videos as its marketing. F1 is many things, but these days exciting isn't one of them. Action like this puts bums on seats either actually or metaphorically.

There's been a.lot of positive reaction to the Billy Monger programme last night, too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Nov 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3864556)   #107
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess we should be politically correct and say it shouldn't be that way, however we have always known that it is.....
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:54 (Ref:3864571)   #108
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
She's perceived as OK, the video's exciting and gone viral. Best publicity motor sport has had for ages, far better than a droning F1 driver in a droning F1 car.
Sorry but you are wrong. The number of people that have seen the video and as a results will never allow their kids to race even a humble Mini Kart outweights any benefit.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3864572)   #109
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Without disrespecting your post @bella, saying that halo could have saved Sophia from her back injury is also a big assumption
it's based on a quote from frits van amersfoort speaking to radio 5 live when he said the following:
Quote:
She flew into the fence and then into a photographers' stand. Her head was compressed by the impact and that compressed the spine, which is why she had the fractures. Surviving that is really incredible.
on that basis, if the car was fitted with a halo, it would have been between her and the structure, right? don't get me wrong, i think the halo isn't a great solution to the problem it's trying to solve but suspect that this is one of those cases where it would have at least reduced the amount of damage the accident did to her spine. which is what it's there for, isn't it?

i respect her and her family for being so open about the operation and her injury. hopefully she carries on posting reasonably frequently about her journey back to race fitness - like midgetman says, she has quite a high profile at the moment and perhaps she'll be able to carry that forward and get some more money behind her.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3864620)   #110
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
Sorry but you are wrong. The number of people that have seen the video and as a results will never allow their kids to race even a humble Mini Kart outweights any benefit.
Nope. There will be very few unless you count those idiots from Mothers Against Death Sports on FB.

Old 21 Nov 2018, 00:30 (Ref:3864624)   #111
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
You're joking aren't you? She's perceived as OK, the video's exciting and gone viral. Best publicity motor sport has had for ages, far better than a droning F1 driver in a droning F1 car.

It may not be polite to say so, but the majority of people out there see motor sport as a source of thrills and spills. Even Goodwood is getting in on the act by using crash videos as its marketing. F1 is many things, but these days exciting isn't one of them. Action like this puts bums on seats either actually or metaphorically.

There's been a.lot of positive reaction to the Billy Monger programme last night, too.

That's certainly one way to look at it. I personally like cool cars going fast and the competition, but hey! Maybe they can remove the straw bales at Goodwood before the next event for real impacts.

That last part is a joke, fyi.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3864804)   #112
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
first off glad she will be ok and love the desire to get back into a race car...brave stuff really and i think that sort of story/her journey back will inspire people. maybe enough to give more of their time to motrosports.

but as for the accident itself...as it makes it way across the world via phone notifications, i have talked to a several non motorsports friends who have now seen it and naturally they want to talk about it with one of the few motorsport enthusiast friends they have.

they all have the same take...'why would anybody want to do that let alone watch it in the stands as a spectator!'

i guess it encourages conversation but imo not in a positive way that would encourage them to watch more frequently.

all anecdotal on my part of course but its just what i have noticed from my circle.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 00:31 (Ref:3864886)   #113
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i guess it encourages conversation but imo not in a positive way that would encourage them to watch more frequently.
^this. Not all publicity is good.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3865011)   #114
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Last night, Teledoce (channel 12 of Montevideo) aired a clip of Flörsch's status update.

This crash got seriously viral.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3865037)   #115
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think the good to come out of it is that the speed the car is travelling at is incredible, and yet by the time the majority of social media and the press had a hold of it it was clear that everyone was alive, safe and in relatively good health considering. in a similar way to how billy monger’s story hasn’t ever been about the accident, it’s been about him, and his way of moving forward and dealing with the change in his life.

this is kind of why sophia would be wise to make sure she stays in peoples minds a bit, which is obviously tricky with the upsides and downsides of recovering from such a serious injury. but she was already doing good work speaking her mind about issues surrounding women in motorsport so i’m confident she’s going to handle it brilliantly.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3865112)   #116
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I saw the crash on Jeremy Vine this morning. As with most crashes, it was the sudden stop that probably did most of the damage to her
Old 22 Nov 2018, 22:52 (Ref:3865115)   #117
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's based on a quote from frits van amersfoort speaking to radio 5 live when he said the following:

on that basis, if the car was fitted with a halo, it would have been between her and the structure, right? don't get me wrong, i think the halo isn't a great solution to the problem it's trying to solve but suspect that this is one of those cases where it would have at least reduced the amount of damage the accident did to her spine. which is what it's there for, isn't it?

i respect her and her family for being so open about the operation and her injury. hopefully she carries on posting reasonably frequently about her journey back to race fitness - like midgetman says, she has quite a high profile at the moment and perhaps she'll be able to carry that forward and get some more money behind her.
Despite the baggers, the HALO (not my choice either) seems to have been a good compromise, certainly way better than leading with your head in an accident, and at least its implementation is progressing, pity it wasn't on Florsch's car already as it would I agree probably significantly reduced to injuries she suffered.

Significant other injuries in the spectators too.

Update of Sophia's condition: 11 hour operation!

https://www.crash.net/f3/news/910737...essful-surgery
Old 22 Nov 2018, 23:08 (Ref:3865119)   #118
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
in addition, the roll hoop stood up to the impact, which is another thing that came under some scrutiny in f3 a few years ago. in addition, it could have probably been a lot worse had the photographers hut collapsed. so lots of successes all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I saw the crash on Jeremy Vine this morning. As with most crashes, it was the sudden stop that probably did most of the damage to her
i posted a quote above which tells you her injuries were from the impact with the structure, so in that respect yes it was the sudden stop...
Old 26 Nov 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3866061)   #119
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
News about Sophia: She's been discharged from the hospital and she's on her way back to Germany. A press conference was held before she leaves, she can walk without any assistance, and the tourism board of Macau appoints her to be the Travel Ambassador of Macau
Old 27 Nov 2018, 08:51 (Ref:3866278)   #120
S griffin
Veteran

That is good news
Old 27 Nov 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3866340)   #121
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
“I’m sure I’m going to be back here next year,” said the young 17-year-old driver

Source: http://www.macaubusiness.com/sophia-...eturn-to-race/
Old 27 Nov 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3866344)   #122
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just forget it! It is the final race for Volkswagen's to end their involvement in Formula 3.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 00:18 (Ref:3866490)   #123
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Yes and no. We expect to see the VW engines in Japan and DTM F3.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 08:29 (Ref:3866542)   #124
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
No longer badged VW though? Spiess...