Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Feb 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3885239)   #826
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, there is an estimate suggesting another 6000 jobs could be affected in subsidiary companies. But if we were to get a good no tariff deal for cars with the USA then I can see China establishing manufacturing bases here.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3885242)   #827
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, we already have Chinese owned car companies in Europe, so halfway there. Perhaps El Presidente will do us an accidental favour!
Old 19 Feb 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3885246)   #828
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3885247)   #829
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, there is an estimate suggesting another 6000 jobs could be affected in subsidiary companies. But if we were to get a good no tariff deal for cars with the USA then I can see China establishing manufacturing bases here.

Highly unlikely, certainly with Trump in the White House. Not satisfied with his 25% tariff on steel, in the next month or so his new tariff on imported cars, also at 25%, comes into effect having been signed off last year.

He wants Americans to only buy Yank tanks!
Old 19 Feb 2019, 14:03 (Ref:3885248)   #830
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes That is correct. We shall see.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3885276)   #831
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Now an enterprising Government would go looking for a vehicle manufacturer of some sort who wanted a factory and an available local work force capable of producing around 100k vehicles p.a.

Perhaps in the EV market space since all sort of inducement could be passed off as reasonable for the purpose of saving the planet.

They have 3 years to get something arranged, so it should be eas....
Hmm. Not a chance of that happening is there?
A bit too big to begin with perhaps but Dyson would be the obvious target as it's geographically in his backyard.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3885310)   #832
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Highly unlikely, certainly with Trump in the White House. Not satisfied with his 25% tariff on steel, in the next month or so his new tariff on imported cars, also at 25%, comes into effect having been signed off last year.

I thought most of the "foreign" cars, at least the main market ones, were already built in the USA.

BMW, Merc and VW along with Toyota, Mazda and Honda have been there for years.

JLR will be a but stuffed but then it seems the American market thinks their reliability is questionable anyway.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3885311)   #833
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
A bit too big to begin with perhaps but Dyson would be the obvious target as it's geographically in his backyard.

When did Swindon move to Singapore?

Old 19 Feb 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3885313)   #834
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Dyson would be, but has set up (or is setting up) production in Singapore, which is why the HQ moved there. Having said that, I think they still have the research place here.

Oh, and my spellcheck changed ‘Dyson’ to ‘dysentery’.........
Old 19 Feb 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3885314)   #835
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Dyson would be, but has set up (or is setting up) production in Singapore, which is why the HQ moved there. Having said that, I think they still have the research place here.

Oh, and my spellcheck changed ‘Dyson’ to ‘dysentery’.........

How would you write advertising copy for a Dyson car and build on the historic brand name product association image?

"Our cars really suck"?
Old 19 Feb 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3885325)   #836
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grant, you've won the Internet today.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Feb 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3885329)   #837
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
He already owns Hullavington Airfield for R&D.

Old 19 Feb 2019, 18:24 (Ref:3885335)   #838
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
He already owns Hullavington Airfield for R&D.

For me that has a strong motor-sport connection. Back in the day I always turned right at Hullavington Airfield when going to Castle Combe!
Old 19 Feb 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3885341)   #839
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I thought most of the "foreign" cars, at least the main market ones, were already built in the USA.

BMW, Merc and VW along with Toyota, Mazda and Honda have been there for years.

JLR will be a but stuffed but then it seems the American market thinks their reliability is questionable anyway.

It is a bit of an anomaly, but certainly in the case of BMW, a goodly percentage of their cars that are assembled in the States are actually exported, whilst at the same time the cars that the Americans want to buy are imported from Europe, like for example the Mini from Cowley.

But my point was originally in response to Peter M's thoughts about a good trade deal with the UK after Brexit.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3885388)   #840
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Only my opinion but I think he's not so wrong in this matter. Do you remember when major car makers employees couldn't park close to the entry if driving a foreign car, a japanese one for instance. All of fame in the mall, hall of shame on the parking lot!
Old 19 Feb 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3885389)   #841
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Mike. I'm not really that naive.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 23:54 (Ref:3885446)   #842
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Ford to shut manufacturing operation in Brazil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47300317

Brexit effect presumably?

Old 20 Feb 2019, 04:48 (Ref:3885461)   #843
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47300317

A bit like in Aus when Ford and Holden announced closure of manufacturing.... round about the time Australia first competed in the Eurovision Song Contest!
Old 20 Feb 2019, 05:46 (Ref:3885467)   #844
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:

Come on, Ford are having to cut costs all over the world, due to their internal problems! Hardly comparable with Honda and Nissan.....
Old 20 Feb 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3885468)   #845
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
.......who are cutting costs due to internal problems. 😂
Old 20 Feb 2019, 06:38 (Ref:3885474)   #846
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
.......who are cutting costs due to internal problems. 😂

But I’d think Ford’s internal problems on a completely different level to the Japanese manufacturers. If the blue Oval just stuck to F series pickups and Fiestas they’d probably make decent money!

Their next generation of European vans and pickups are a joint venture with VW, with Amarok and Ranger, Transit and Transporter, Connect and Combi all sharing. When you consider what a big seller the Transit is, sharing the base van with the VW is a big move. Rumour is that traditional Transporter ‘lifestyle’ van fans are not happy about the venture!
Old 20 Feb 2019, 06:43 (Ref:3885475)   #847
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Rumour is that traditional Transporter ‘lifestyle’ van fans are not happy about the venture!
Not happy? You mean they still want a "spliff window"?
Old 20 Feb 2019, 06:48 (Ref:3885477)   #848
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Not happy? You mean they still want a "spliff window"?
Absolutely! And air cooled rear engine....
Old 20 Feb 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3885481)   #849
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I believe I'm correct in saying that Ford patented the heated windscreen and only VW were permitted to use it (for a royalty) other than Ford.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 07:48 (Ref:3885484)   #850
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I believe I'm correct in saying that Ford patented the heated windscreen and only VW were permitted to use it (for a royalty) other than Ford.
OT, but I always found it bizarre that my elderly neighbour's Ford Fiesta had a heated windscreen and yet Range Rovers at that time didn't! Mind you, there was a timer to stop use of the screen element flattening the battery...

Bit of research says that first used on a Euro Ford (Granada) in 1985, and Ford allowed the patent to run out. Hence adopted widely after that... (But Rolls Royce had the feature in 1969!)

Last edited by Mike Bell; 20 Feb 2019 at 07:55.