Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2009, 00:50 (Ref:2508796)   #1
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari Internation Assistance

Racing Incident: Raikkonen bouncing of two cars and causing one to retire.

Dangerous, aggressive driving: Leaving the pit box from a dead stop and accelerating to 60 mph out of the pits near a red car.

The stewards declined to punish Raikkonen for his "racing incident" and reprimanded Red Bull for their "unsafe" pit release.

Why did they have to wait until the end of the race to decide Raikkonen's fate? It was the first thing that happened in the race! Were the stewards affraid to penalise Raikkonen, effectively ending Ferrari's weekend? Did they not want to take away a great (and fan friendly) result for Ferrari?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2508797)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yawn..
Old 27 Jul 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2508798)   #3
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I often raise an eyebrow at the FIAs decisions towards Ferrari, especially considering some of the help Massa seemed to get last year. But there's nothing wrong with today's decisions as far as I can see. Raikonnen did not seem to deliberately swerve, it was simply to go around another car instead of into the back of him as I remember it.

Yes, you could argue that "Well Webber got a Drive Through last time..." but the Stewards are different from race to race, and opinion is split on whether Webber's penalty was fair. If not, then two wrongs don't make a right and it would have been just as wrong to punish Kimi.

As for the pit box release, well they got away with just a slap on the wrist, didn't they? Seems fair to me seeing as that is very dangerous indeed. Although there was no contact, there easily could have been. The Mechanics in front of the Red Bull box were at serious risk as Webber had to swerve slightly as he applied the brakes in order to miss Kimi. It would have been very easy for him to run someone over.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2508800)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's racing chaps.. If we are going to sit at home and be critical of every move and decision that the stewards take, and read conspiracy into every action that looks like it might be giving Ferrari an advantage we may as well just switch off and find a new pastime..
Old 27 Jul 2009, 03:15 (Ref:2508818)   #5
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought what Raikkonen did to Hamilton was worse than the contact with Vettel even though it didn't do any damage. He could have braked or went outside instead he knifed inside and tried to challenge Hamilton for a racing line he had already established. I thought that move should have been looked at. I just found it ironic that they warned Red Bull for a near contact with a Ferrari and forgave a Ferrari car for driving erratic and making contact twice before the frist turn. But mostly I thought it was inexcusable that they delayed the decision until after the race. I can't think of any good reason to do that.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2508881)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd like to know what the criteria are for either investigating post-race or during the race.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2508917)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The cars were 'racing' at the first corner,I don't think that Kimi intentionally hit anyone,he seemed to have no choice but to move across towards Vettel.Not an avoidable accident IMO.

RedBull were lucky to get away with a warning for the pit lane release (probably will not do so again!),which would only have really benfited Button by giving Webber a ten second penalty and putting him behind Rosberg etc.Brawn aren't complaining.

McLaren didn't receive any warnings,reprimands or penalties,so things are looking up in that respect.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2508918)   #8
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

McLaren didn't receive any warnings,reprimands or penalties,so things are looking up in that respect.
That's cos Ron's gone
Old 27 Jul 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2508925)   #9
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Red Bull were wrong in the way they released Weber. It doesn't really need a penalty that cocks up the racing, but I'd have requested a 'donation' from the team to make up for it!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2509060)   #10
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Many people felt the decision to punish Webber was marginal and harsh. Kimi's move yesterday was not as blatant as Webbers as he was going through a gap (as opposed to Webbers lunge at Barrichello).

This is racing and we're all getting a little wussy these day's alas...we all bemoan the lack of racing and then when some happens, we're all up in arms. What is it we actually want? Nose to tail 'no after you sir' processions with anything approaching the slightest whiff of contact investigated and punished?

Seems like racing and racing incidents are not allowed these days.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2509086)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I'd like to know what the criteria are for either investigating post-race or during the race.
I'd guess that if the Stewards think there are likely to be two sides to the story they investigate afterwards.

I was talking to one of this country's leading motor racing lawyers last week about something else, but in the course of the conversation this subject came up and his opinion was that as a guiding rule every incident should be looked at afterwards.

There are bound to be exceptions if something blatant occurs, but I think he's right. Webber got a drive-through in Germany for the incident with Barrichello, but when you looked at the on-board footage from his car there were no sudden hand movements (more from Barrichello, in fact) and to me his explanation was entirely plausible. I don't think he should have been penalised and he was very fortunate still to get the win.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2509134)   #12
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He could have braked
I'd also like to point out that this course of action would probably be much more dangerous then swerving to try and avoid hitting another car. With cars as close as they are at the start any unexpected reduction in speed by one of the front runners could very easily cause a pile up. Spa 1998, anyone?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2509325)   #13
Spanky
Rookie

Spanky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironically, Raikkonen's driving at the start of this race seemed the spitting image of Hamilton's on numerous occasions last year. Monza beining the one that I remember most clearly. Except Hamilton was 'bringing back the excitement'.....apparently..........
Old 27 Jul 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2509492)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MADE UP OUTRAGE ALERT!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2509507)   #15
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I don't think the stewards on this occasion were guilty of Ferrari assistance.
Webbers penalty in Germany was a borderline one.
Was it a racing incident or a deliberate manouvre?

This time they erred (perhaps) the other way...but you can't please everyone.
Ajudicating over race incidents is a very imprecise art.

You think you could do better? You want a challenge?

Try it at a CIK or international kart meeting sometime.... and get it right every time without the benefit of video... and then go through the video replays with a couple of friends to see if you got it right in every incident...
Old 27 Jul 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2509563)   #16
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think all was in order.
I do not know why they wanted to wait until after the race to review Kimi, my understanding is they have all the data available and as long as they annonuce that they are investigating within "X" laps tha is enough, they can place a penalty at any time there after (but not in the last 3 laps -I think- of the race)
Red Bull repremand was also appopriate, if the cars had touched it would be differrent, but Webber corrected and sloted in behind without incident, as he should have. I can think of a number of times where cars of all colours, but often red and/or silver, have tried to go out 2 by 2 without even a question being raised, but that is the past
Old 28 Jul 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2509693)   #17
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Some drivers are simply charmed with reference to the stewards attitude towards them and WFD is one.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2511013)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not as much as YFT is though.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2511017)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
WFD YFT WTF ! ?