Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 May 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3902227)   #151
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Fabulous!-this must be best motorsports program I have seen on TV in 60years?-all the drivers were intrdoduced-HD pictures-no ad breaks during the race
Soneone give Jamie Chadwick an F2 drive now-Monaco?
Woahhhhhhhh slow down there cowboy.

I like whisper productions, but there are better out there.

Chadwick in F2? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, she’s a good young talent but has already competed in British GT, British F3 for 4 years with only 3 wins in that time.

The worst thing they could do is rush her career right now, give her time to develop and stand a solid chance at good results.

The big difficulty with this series is the fact the drivers will have to progress into GP3, F2 and race against men if they want to get to F1...they need to make sure who ever wins the series is ready for that otherwise the initiative will fail
Old 6 May 2019, 12:20 (Ref:3902228)   #152
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m not so sure. It might be good to see her in F2. She’s had a decent career so far. But then again being in F2 now might break her too.

Maybe we should give her time, but it’s a shame she’ll have to do GP3, instead of straight to F2. Who knows when the next female will be in F1?

Of course I hope her career progresses, because she has the talent
Old 6 May 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3902231)   #153
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I’m not so sure. It might be good to see her in F2. She’s had a decent career so far. But then again being in F2 now might break her too.

Maybe we should give her time, but it’s a shame she’ll have to do GP3, instead of straight to F2. Who knows when the next female will be in F1?

Of course I hope her career progresses, because she has the talent
And there lies the problem. While it gives drivers like Chadwick a platform to highlight their talent, it takes them out of the ‘system’ for a season..in some Respects are you better continuing on that path, competing against men.

It’s a tricky one. Let’s just hope it doesn’t end like Formula Woman....that was dire
Old 6 May 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3902233)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You’re right there. She’s out of the normal environment here. She would be better combining the two. It’s worth a shot, but yeah, F Woman promised much, but delivered little
Old 6 May 2019, 18:11 (Ref:3902302)   #155
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Not a bad race, will be interesting to follow throughout the season. Not sure the broadcast was all that great, Teds role seems kinda pointless in the pits and Claire Cottingham is painful to listen to.
Inclined to agree with this. Claire is obviously very knowledgeable and her general commentary is okay, but times during the race just felt awkward.

Decent enough racing, not a huge surprise to see Chadwick take a fairly comfortable win. Don't really care what series she chooses to do but obvious that she's a class act.
Old 6 May 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3902316)   #156
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

The level is a bit disappointing but that is not the point of the series indeed.
Old 6 May 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3902334)   #157
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
And there lies the problem. While it gives drivers like Chadwick a platform to highlight their talent, it takes them out of the ‘system’ for a season..in some Respects are you better continuing on that path, competing against men.

It’s a tricky one. Let’s just hope it doesn’t end like Formula Woman....that was dire
the funny thing is, by taking her out of the "system", it's shown how much a part of it she actually is. if they had 15 jamie chadwicks, it'd be a great series. there's only a handful of drivers up to the professional level she's at, and they're predictably at the front. it's arguably not massively fair on the younger drivers still learning, but i suppose that's outweighed by the benefits of seat time in a reasonably high profile open wheel series.

it's more marketing than racing isn't it?
Old 6 May 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3902338)   #158
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the funny thing is, by taking her out of the "system", it's shown how much a part of it she actually is. if they had 15 jamie chadwicks, it'd be a great series. there's only a handful of drivers up to the professional level she's at, and they're predictably at the front. it's arguably not massively fair on the younger drivers still learning, but i suppose that's outweighed by the benefits of seat time in a reasonably high profile open wheel series.

it's more marketing than racing isn't it?
Completely agree. And the W Series has given her a great platform to show off her talents....

...only problem is it’s a double edged sword. When she returns into the ‘system’ the spotlight will be on her, if she fails, the whole project backfires and all the great marketing it’s produces falls flat on its face.
Old 6 May 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3902356)   #159
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Completely agree. And the W Series has given her a great platform to show off her talents....

...only problem is it’s a double edged sword. When she returns into the ‘system’ the spotlight will be on her, if she fails, the whole project backfires and all the great marketing it’s produces falls flat on its face.
i think she's got the couple of series she has won in cars on her side, to be honest. potentially, to the internet critics, she could look sillier if she doesn't win this thing.

felt sorry for kimilainen - she too is a class act.

i'd like to see 'em run the top 3 in formula renault for the last round this season or something. really put their money where their mouths are.
Old 6 May 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3902357)   #160
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think she's got the couple of series she has won in cars on her side, to be honest. potentially, to the internet critics, she could look sillier if she doesn't win this thing.

felt sorry for kimilainen - she too is a class act.

i'd like to see 'em run the top 3 in formula renault for the last round this season or something. really put their money where their mouths are.
Without doubt.

I really like Jamie, think she’s a cracking talent. I’m just saying now the W Series have created a marketing monster, they need to handle it very carefully now the spotlight is on their drivers
Old 6 May 2019, 21:48 (Ref:3902363)   #161
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah, agree. i like jamie too, she seems like a proper driver and she has been competitive in anything she's tried which is more than can be said for a lot of the other more hyped racers on the grid.

not sure exactly how far that spotlight falls though, it's a bit hard to know how many outside the motorsport bubble are actually aware of and interested in the series.
Old 7 May 2019, 06:49 (Ref:3902413)   #162
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Was a little surprised to see only one race this weekend, is it the same all series long?
Saves an enormous amount of money. The whole series has as much track time as 2 or 3 weekends in other series. Likely also means the weekend warriors can prep the cars for the next meeting before loading up which saves major money too.
Old 7 May 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3902509)   #163
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd been very much reserving judgement on this until I'd at least seen a race. I'm... still not really sure how much good it's going to do. I wholeheartedly support anything which will give women more support into and through the motor racing world, but I don't know how much this will achieve in practice.

As people have said - you've got a few drivers in there that everyone already knows are pretty damn good - Chadwick obviously, and a few others who finished pretty close to the sharp end, as you'd expect. The others didn't get a huge amount of exposure, and it wasn't really possible to judge much from the race.

I realised half way through that the most interesting thing to consider for those top drivers was inevitably "wouldn't this be interesting if they were in an open series race with good machinery and full backing?" As it was, did we learn anything? Jamie Chadwick can pedal a car pretty damn quick - yup, already knew that. Unless however this results in her getting a higher level single seater drive with enough genuine funding to be competitive, I'm not sure how much value it's going to bring her (or the other women of course, with more talent than cash).
Old 14 May 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3903733)   #164
S griffin
Veteran

Well it's off to Zolder this weekend. Hopefully we'll get a clearer picture. The racing was good enough at Hockenheim, although the circuit and weather helped a bit. Obviously if someone can consistently challenge Chadwick that would be good. What would not be good for the series is if it was so random, as then it would show there wasn't the talent in the series.

It would be nice for a woman to succeed enough to get a chance at the top level soon enough. Chadwick has got a good chance, but it all depends on how she goes away from this series. This series is a nice idea, but it could all be ruined if the top talent from here fails to make a mark elsewhere
Old 14 May 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3903755)   #165
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends what is meant by top level. Chadwick has been signed as an Aston Martin factory driver which would be a dream for many drivers I would think and that was before the W series which, in some ways, could show it wasn't really needed if she dominates it.
Old 15 May 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3903868)   #166
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a few drivers in the field on the manufacturer pay roll.

W Series is just another opportunity.
Old 15 May 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3903911)   #167
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see it more as failing if it doesn’t get other drivers into the fore. I’m sure if Jamie wins that W-Series will shout about how it succeeded in getting her a contract, but I think she was already well on the way to stardom.

Doesn’t seem to be much point of the series if it is just making people aware of drivers that they were already aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 May 2019, 12:27 (Ref:3903917)   #168
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Stardom? In sportscars? Literally said no one. Ever.

She’s top in W Series for sure but hasn’t done much of anything else to mark herself out.

Winning a reverse grid race in a weak BRDC “F3” doesn’t make you F1 material.
Old 15 May 2019, 13:03 (Ref:3903924)   #169
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Just a random thought about what was said earlier in this thread (forgive me, but I haven't see the races myself). From what I understand no one driver has 'her' specific race car, they are simply drawn out of a hat, or otherwise randomly allocated for each race meeting. There were other comments that 'as all of the cars look the same, it's hard to differentiate who is driving which car. Would it not be possible for each driver to have 'her own' front & rear wing colouring? These items could then be swapped from tub to tub and aid driver identification?
(Or am I talking out of the top of my head as usual because I don't really know what's going on?)
Old 15 May 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3903958)   #170
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just a random thought about what was said earlier in this thread (forgive me, but I haven't see the races myself). From what I understand no one driver has 'her' specific race car, they are simply drawn out of a hat, or otherwise randomly allocated for each race meeting. There were other comments that 'as all of the cars look the same, it's hard to differentiate who is driving which car. Would it not be possible for each driver to have 'her own' front & rear wing colouring? These items could then be swapped from tub to tub and aid driver identification?
(Or am I talking out of the top of my head as usual because I don't really know what's going on?)
There was an element of differentiation on the rear end - national flag on the rear wing end plates and their name is on the sidepod but from the tv shots it really didn't help much as it wasn't all that obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
a9382dfaf6aa5e1b1191da859fc4ebd4.jpg   J6I1853.jpg  

Last edited by BertMk2; 15 May 2019 at 14:24. Reason: Had a look.
Old 15 May 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3903964)   #171
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As all the cars are new, it would be easy for a driver to have their own set of personalised bodywork - rear wing assembly, front nosecone, engine cover and side pods, and could incorporate a personalised livery whilst maintaining a centrally run car.

The lower floor section which may incorporate parts of the sidepods can be swapped over, but not a 30 second job like a sidepod is.
Old 15 May 2019, 21:50 (Ref:3904040)   #172
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Stardom? In sportscars? Literally said no one. Ever.

Literally said me. in the post you’re referring to.

Sure she won’t be on the back pages of newspapers in GTs, but you can’t pretend like a pro factory drive in a top level motorsport is unimpressive. Presumably you only consider F1 to be ‘stardom’ worthy? So being like George Russell is better than being like Nick Tandy?

Old 17 May 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3904345)   #173
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Literally said me. in the post you’re referring to.

Sure she won’t be on the back pages of newspapers in GTs, but you can’t pretend like a pro factory drive in a top level motorsport is unimpressive. Presumably you only consider F1 to be ‘stardom’ worthy? So being like George Russell is better than being like Nick Tandy?

Well said! Perhaps the world won't know you like Sebastien Vettel and Lewis Hamilton, but the true fans will certainly know her quality
Old 18 May 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3904504)   #174
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chadwick on pole again.
Old 18 May 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3904508)   #175
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the problem with many "fans" these days. They think F1 is the be all and end all of motorsport.

There are plenty of drivers making far more money from their careers outside of F1 than many do and have done inside F1.