Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1562229)   #1
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV - The promotional tool

Seems that Intel picked JV over NH for its commercials.

and JV was picked over NH for some BMW promo work in australia.

Interesting.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1562252)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nick is a better long term blokey...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1562255)   #3
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just find it funny how after BMW seemingly not wanting him.. he has become the public face of the BMW team moreso then NH
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1562288)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nick could use a personality implant imo...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1562289)   #5
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think Jacques is much more marketable than Nick, not because he is more 'English speaking' than Nick, he has more of a pedigree, and a lot more personality.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1562302)   #6
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
If they (marketing people) got commercials out of Hakkinen, I think they could do it with Heidfeld
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1562320)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think Hakkinen had alot more personality than Nick tbh. I think it's a very wise marketing move to pick Jacques over Nick. It would be stupid to do it any other way. I mean let's look at it. You're Intel/BMW and you'd like one of your drivers to do your ad. Do you pick:

*A former World Champ, or a guy who's been on the podium a handful of times?
*A guy who speaks good English, or a quiet German?
*A racer renouned for his outlandish style and out-spoken ways who's previously been out with such names as Danni Minogue, or once again do you pick your quiet, keeps himself to himself German?

BTW, this isn't a full out attack on Nick because I like him as a racer, it's just he really doesn't have much personality lol And to me, it's a no contest for BMW/Intel, it's just common sense.

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1562333)   #8
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby
I think Hakkinen had alot more personality than Nick tbh. I think it's a very wise marketing move to pick Jacques over Nick. It would be stupid to do it any other way. I mean let's look at it. You're Intel/BMW and you'd like one of your drivers to do your ad. Do you pick:

*A former World Champ, or a guy who's been on the podium a handful of times?
*A guy who speaks good English, or a quiet German?
*A racer renouned for his outlandish style and out-spoken ways who's previously been out with such names as Danni Minogue, or once again do you pick your quiet, keeps himself to himself German?

BTW, this isn't a full out attack on Nick because I like him as a racer, it's just he really doesn't have much personality lol And to me, it's a no contest for BMW/Intel, it's just common sense.

Selby
You're right there Selby. Next to maybe Schumi, JV is probably the most recognizable face in F1. The decision to use Jacques was not a difficult one and I'm sure Nick is happy about that as well.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1562353)   #9
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe BMW thought "if we're stuck with him, might as well get the most out of him"!!
Old 27 Mar 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1562428)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Villeneuve name carries great worldwide clout, both through Jacques and mainly through Gilles, so this is no real surprise.

It's interesting to see JV's attitude towards all this....time was, he specifically stated he wanted the bare minimum PR work in his contracts....I guess these days he has to bend over backwards to be employed....

I assume Nick will do the promotional stuff for Germany?

In terms of personality, I don't see much wrong with Mr Heidfeld....OK, he's quiet and won't try to hog anybody's limelight, but he seems a nice guy with a sharp sense of humour. Much like Hakkinen in fact. Misunderstood, both of them!
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1562449)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nick's remark after taking pole at the Nurburgring last year that he would "just sit there" in the race, in response to Webber's comparison of their driving styles which was interpreted as a criticism, is an example of his potential sense of humour. He does seem to get on with the job more than anything. BMW are probably thinking that, even if JV isn't the best driver available to them, he's the best marketing tool they have (although the cars themselves are pretty competitive already), so they might as well use him for that; as mentioned JV is probably happy with the compromise of not being able to keep himself to himself so much.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1562787)   #12
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
If they (marketing people) got commercials out of Hakkinen, I think they could do it with Heidfeld
can you imaging raikkonen in an advert.. looking glum faced and cold..
Old 27 Mar 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1562794)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, that would be challenging.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1562858)   #14
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder why JV preferred the baggy type racing suit....dosen't suit him or anyone at all
Old 28 Mar 2006, 00:26 (Ref:1562874)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is pretty straightforward: he finds it more comfortable, as he doesn't like them skin-tight style.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 04:38 (Ref:1562983)   #16
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo
can you imaging raikkonen in an advert.. looking glum faced and cold..
Kimi has done an ad for Nescafe, which I have on our home computer. IIRC, all he does is sit in the McLaren in a pitstop, drink some Nescafe coffee and zoom off. A woman (IIRC) provides a voiceover.

He also is the public face of Tag Heuer watches, IIRC as each year around Grand Prix time in Melbourne, there are ads for Tag Heuer which essentially is Kimi flaunting his watch.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 05:05 (Ref:1562996)   #17
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intel went all out on that commercial that JV is in! It was shot in HD! I just watched it on Discovery HD Theater tonight. First time I had seen it other than the online version. Too bad we cant get races in HD too!
Old 28 Mar 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1563151)   #18
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I also saw nick once in a commercial ad, i think it was for RedBull, when he was driving for Sauber Petronas.(or maybe it wasn't for redbull, i cant remember very good). He was OK, quite good i might say !