Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jul 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3918476)   #4101
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the biggest rip-offs in the UK, and probably the majority of Europe, is the cost of spectacle frames. Some moons ago, I had a client who was one of the major importers/distributors of frames in the UK, and the cost to opticians was, in the main, in single digits and that even included all the main "designer" frames; the mark up, including at the big chains such as Boots and Specsavers, is/was horrendous.

Having said that, I would only buy my own specs at a registered optician who would be responsible for ensuring that the optical prescription was correct on new specs, and also to ensure that the frames are the correct size/fit for the patient.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3918479)   #4102
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
One of the biggest rip-offs in the UK, and probably the majority of Europe, is the cost of spectacle frames. Some moons ago, I had a client who was one of the major importers/distributors of frames in the UK, and the cost to opticians was, in the main, in single digits and that even included all the main "designer" frames; the mark up, including at the big chains such as Boots and Specsavers, is/was horrendous.

Having said that, I would only buy my own specs at a registered optician who would be responsible for ensuring that the optical prescription was correct on new specs, and also to ensure that the frames are the correct size/fit for the patient.
The trouble is though Mike with opticians, they can usually see you coming
Old 19 Jul 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3918480)   #4103
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

The service element is certainly important but as my need for prescription glasses for distance work (like driving) was quite a mild prescription and the same for both eyes (more or less exactly) and has now seemingly lapsed, I suspect I would have been happy enough with cheapos for situations with increased risk of accidental damage.

For reading glasses - having a few around that are good enough for short periods and cheap enough that breakage or damage is not an issue seems like a reasonable choice. Some seem better than others but they are all at least usable and for a fiver or so I'm not worried.

The only ones that have broken - due to a design weakness - were the cheap but not as cheap pair I bought from my optician's offerings next to his reception desk! Lasted just a few months of not very regular use but the problem was the arm design was susceptible to failure from minimal inadvertent strain.

I do have a problem with frame width sometimes - a slightly wider than typical frame (a few mms) is desirable and not always available. Especially with plastic arms.

However I noticed that a place I have used before for reading glasses was offering 2 new styles of a type I like and both were slightly wider than the ones in that generic style that I have been using for a few years. So I bought both and they are exactly as described. £22 for both, in soft cases, delivery included and arrived next day.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 16:38 (Ref:3918494)   #4104
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone at Donington this weekend?
Old 19 Jul 2019, 16:55 (Ref:3918498)   #4105
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Saturday evening for a couple of hours.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3918499)   #4106
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Already arrived, and scrutineered. Means that we get a lie in tomorrow morning as our qualifying session is not until 10:20 with race at 14:30. We'll even be home at a civilised time with this timetable - quite a rarity
Old 19 Jul 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3918504)   #4107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You, I assume, as the Morgan Challenge racers are there!
Old 19 Jul 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3918508)   #4108
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
You, I assume, as the Morgan Challenge racers are there!
Mike! You know me too well.

All day Sunday.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3918523)   #4109
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Been up today to sort out our Dr Bob . All good now painting workshop floor . The high life of an international race driver .
Old 21 Jul 2019, 05:05 (Ref:3918694)   #4110
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Don’t know about anyone else, but having watched the black and white footage of the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing again, and listened to the story of the whole event- I’m in awe of what an incredible achievement it was! When the LM lands and the fuel readout shows only a few seconds of burn left, that’s close.......
Old 21 Jul 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3918695)   #4111
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed Mike. Amazing story and to put it into context, as has been said, most 1970s digital watches had more computing power than the entire Apollo 11 capsule and landing module.
Old 21 Jul 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3918703)   #4112
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Agreed Mike. Amazing story and to put it into context, as has been said, most 1970s digital watches had more computing power than the entire Apollo 11 capsule and landing module.
Yes, one commentator suggested a modern fridge had more computing power, but that may a bit of an exaggeration!

When the LM took off from the moon’s surface, Armstrong’s heart rate was only in the 90s, according to what was said on the C4 docu last night, Aldrin’s a bit higher at 120. Just shows what an amazing man Armstrong was......
Old 21 Jul 2019, 08:29 (Ref:3918707)   #4113
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Look on the bright side Mike.
Are you talking about sun glasses here? My point of "view" is the same!

Just thoroughly tested an MX5 at Nogaro. What a nice track it is, interesting and 2.24 miles long. Being a car of rental mine is definitely not the best of the batch but enough to bring back all the racing feelings. A necessary come back to the school but a little bit frustrated by the lack of power and the slow maximum speed.
Bauble thanks to you many of my mates call me Gerry now!
Old 21 Jul 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3918710)   #4114
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Would be good to visit Nogaro, as I always hear good things about it! The B19/SLR owner has an interesting new car for 2020, and I’ve already suggested when it’s ready we test at Nogaro, so much more of an adventure than Silverstone......
Old 21 Jul 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3918714)   #4115
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Would be good to visit Nogaro, as I always hear good things about it! The B19/SLR owner has an interesting new car for 2020, and I’ve already suggested when it’s ready we test at Nogaro, so much more of an adventure than Silverstone......
I wonder what...?
Old 21 Jul 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3918720)   #4116
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Not for me to tell, but it’s a small step up from the B19 and will run in CER2....
Old 21 Jul 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3918729)   #4117
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes Nogaro is a great track often sunny, good food around and mainly people are helpful…*I say mainly. A long straight and very interesting corners to test both driver skills and chassis abilities. I takes a while if not more to learn all the tricks putting you from fast to very fast tho…
Old 21 Jul 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3918732)   #4118
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don’t know about anyone else, but having watched the black and white footage of the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing again, and listened to the story of the whole event- I’m in awe of what an incredible achievement it was! When the LM lands and the fuel readout shows only a few seconds of burn left, that’s close.......

If anybody is interested , here is a restored video of the moon landing .
https://youtu.be/S9HdPi9Ikhk

But you do need some spare hours .
Old 21 Jul 2019, 17:48 (Ref:3918739)   #4119
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can also recommend the documentary series "Chasing the Moon" available on BBC iPlayer. No talking heads, no narration, just superb archive footage and contemporary and modern comments from the people involved. The sequence about the Apollo 1 fire was chilling.

I hadn't realised that the person responsible for the return journeys of the Apollo missions was a 25 year old female maths graduate.
Old 21 Jul 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3918742)   #4120
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I can also recommend the documentary series "Chasing the Moon" available on BBC iPlayer. No talking heads, no narration, just superb archive footage and contemporary and modern comments from the people involved. The sequence about the Apollo 1 fire was chilling.

I hadn't realised that the person responsible for the return journeys of the Apollo missions was a 25 year old female maths graduate.
Gee, thanks Alan! That’s 5hrs to watch, and I’m into episode 1 already.....
Old 22 Jul 2019, 03:28 (Ref:3918777)   #4121
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yeah I watched a doco which included 'the forgotten files', showing lots of unseen behind the scenes stuff.... apparently the pre-selected landing spot had turned into a crater and Armstrong had to cruise around looking for another more suitable spot to land, hence the fuel shortage. But what a cool dude Armstrong was. Nothing seemed to phase him.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3918786)   #4122
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Yeah I watched a doco which included 'the forgotten files', showing lots of unseen behind the scenes stuff.... apparently the pre-selected landing spot had turned into a crater and Armstrong had to cruise around looking for another more suitable spot to land, hence the fuel shortage. But what a cool dude Armstrong was. Nothing seemed to phase him.
Forgot to mention that as the computer was controlling the landing at the pre-selected site, Armstrong had to ditch the computer's help and had to find a suitable landing spot via camera and do the revised site landing manually!
Old 22 Jul 2019, 06:54 (Ref:3918791)   #4123
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Are you talking about sun glasses here? My point of "view" is the same!

Just thoroughly tested an MX5 at Nogaro. What a nice track it is, interesting and 2.24 miles long. Being a car of rental mine is definitely not the best of the batch but enough to bring back all the racing feelings. A necessary come back to the school but a little bit frustrated by the lack of power and the slow maximum speed.
Bauble thanks to you many of my mates call me Gerry now!

Lucky it is not Mohammed.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3918800)   #4124
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Forgot to mention that as the computer was controlling the landing at the pre-selected site, Armstrong had to ditch the computer's help and had to find a suitable landing spot via camera and do the revised site landing manually!
The stories I heard on the radio were that they launched the LM about 15 seconds too late and so overshot the original landing site. Hence Armstrong took over, and had to overfly boulders before choosing a new site on the fly.

Apparently there were two audio feeds. One the public could hear and one private just to Houston. The comment "boulders" on the tapes should have been sent to the private feed and went public by mistake.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jul 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3918805)   #4125
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's amazing how they managed to do all that at the time. Just shows how intelligent the astronauts were. And to think as tech has increased we haven't been back to the moon for a long long time