Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Nov 2003, 05:12 (Ref:782824)   #1
barra
Racer

barra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little & SBR part ways

It is now official that Campbell Little has finished with SBR to join another race team in 2004. Campbell has finished with the team now, and won't be partaking any further testing or racing with the team.
No word on where he is going, but logic would have to say 888.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 05:26 (Ref:782828)   #2
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard it's definitely 888.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 05:33 (Ref:782832)   #3
smithers
Racer

Australia
smithers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we make any interpretations with this info in regards to 888 drivers for next year?
Old 14 Nov 2003, 05:40 (Ref:782835)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/la...y.asp?gid=8974

Interesting.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Nov 2003, 06:06 (Ref:782845)   #5
tiko
Racer

tiko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So maybe the Ambrose/Little move to 888 for 2004 wasn't just a rumour that allegidly started in the Holden Motorsport camp to unsettle the SBR operation...
Old 14 Nov 2003, 06:07 (Ref:782846)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's going to be interesting to see what unfolds regarding the make up of the 888 team for next year.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 06:12 (Ref:782850)   #7
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that C Little had said that he wanted to wait untill the season was over??????????

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 14 Nov 2003, 06:13 (Ref:782851)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Congratulations to Mr Kruk, again a brilliant motorsport strategy gone wrong. You have learned from the master well.

Paying 888 a motza to stay with the Ford brand, and allowing that team to use that small fortune to hurt the current (and still not over the line) championship contender is a very clever move.

If Ford loses the series at Eastern Creek, the buck must stop with you! And Ford fans have every right to expect your head on a platter.

Well done to all. The buck stops with Kruk!
Old 14 Nov 2003, 06:16 (Ref:782852)   #9
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by tiko
So maybe the Ambrose/Little move to 888 for 2004 wasn't just a rumour that allegidly started in the Holden Motorsport camp to unsettle the SBR operation...
We already knew that the Cambell Little part wasn't a rumour, it appears to me someone decided to tack the Ambrose rumour onto the CL story in an attempt to destabilise him which is rather unsporting.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 06:26 (Ref:782854)   #10
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kieron, ever thought that the Ambrose part of the rumour is true as well & that they may go to 888 as a package. I agree with GTR that if Ford lose the championship Kruk will have to take sole responsibility.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 07:19 (Ref:782872)   #11
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

I'm not an insider, and don't get all the gossip beside from here and on TV so I only going by what I have seen/heard jetsetter.
Little at GC confirmed he was being chased by 888, Ambrose said he wasn't then a post on a forum says that the Ambrose rumour came from someone under the Holden badge. So i'm prepared to believe this story atm.

Did Kruk give 888 the go ahead to chase Little? if not was he aware 888 were after him?
Old 14 Nov 2003, 08:02 (Ref:782900)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Ford supplied the cash to 888 to spend on their race team. Prior to the Ford involvement with this team, 888 received Ford parts assistance, as offered to other private teams running that brand.

Thinking broadly, if a team was already able to operate with the commercial funded from Betta/LG/Sunbeam, any new, additional funding would logically be spent on fast tracking new car developments in the team.

So the logical immediate choice for a team with a mountain of technical equipment & expertise based in the UK, and with this new influx of funding from the motor manufacturer, would be to find the local equivalent of Ludovic Lacroix to head up the team here on a full time basis. Which the team's owners mentioned in the press recently as being a front of mind goal for immediate satisfaction.

Now it is highly unlikely there would be accomodation in the regular Betta/LG/Sunbeam budget to afford a mega-engineer, and the costs that come with that, especially at the reported numbers from AA/MN. Which means that the Ford cash would be the device that enabled 888 to activate this plan

Now whether Ford were specifically aware that 888 were going after Campbell Little, or indeed Eric Pender, Wally Storey, Rob Starr, Oscar Fiorinotto, Greg Wheeler or indeed John Russell, they had to be aware of the dynamics of what I have just described, and being a business partner of 888, known first hand of 888's immediate intentions. If they were unaware, then it shows a level of ignorance bordering on naivete.

Some commercial transactions occurred in late October to suggest that SBR has had knowledge of this change for some time prior. Has this been the distraction that has impacted their championship assault in recent rounds? It is more than possible.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 08:17 (Ref:782912)   #13
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Is Ford actually a business partner with 888 or simply a sponsor?
I could see your point if it where applied to FPR. I can't see Kruk being very happy about it, but if he is not involved in the running of 888 then he can't stop it happening, it would be interesting to here Kruks view.

Are those Oct transactions Ford to 888 money?
Old 14 Nov 2003, 08:28 (Ref:782920)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A sponsor is a business partner when you get in as heavily as the dollars would suggest. They dont have equity, but as a major commercial supporter would have a surprising level of influence. Or indeed should have. Maybe that is the issue.

The release in AA last week suggesting Mr Kruk was pleading with the teams to leave SBR staff alone until after the season supports the Machiavellian intrigue of the new deal.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 08:37 (Ref:782926)   #15
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm, that'll make it rather interesting....
Old 14 Nov 2003, 09:42 (Ref:782970)   #16
kiwi_flier
Rookie

kiwi_flier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guess the odds of Ambrose winning champioship arent as good today as they were yesterday when Little was still apart of SBR........

And after such a promising year for it to potentially end up like this is very very dissapointing for all ford fans.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 10:08 (Ref:782988)   #17
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Devastating !

Last edited by Grimace; 14 Nov 2003 at 10:09.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 11:19 (Ref:783047)   #18
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It is a shame, but these things do happen remember the OF left ooMotorsport to go to TDR. It will be interesting to see how SBR bounce back from this, and I reckon it's not what MA and RS wanted b4 the most important race of the year. Plus how will this affect SBR in 04.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 14 Nov 2003, 11:22 (Ref:783049)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
At least Oscar had the decency to plan his departure at season's end, and most certainly not at a crucial point in the championship.

Everyone is ultimately replaceable, but the timing stinks to high heaven.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 11:28 (Ref:783060)   #20
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
YES true GTR, but this is not the first time Mr Little hasleft on team to go to another, remember he was employed by BH BMW and move to PMMS for a little while I think b4 going to SBR. Could he be heading to DJR instead of 888 in 04
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 14 Nov 2003, 11:36 (Ref:783071)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The 888 thing is absolutely assured, as is the whopping great signon fee (courtesy of the Blue Oval). Quite a clever way to make a non-team owner a millionaire virtually overnight because of this transaction.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 12:10 (Ref:783099)   #22
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gees GTR you are making a lot of assumptions here. Lets not forget that Ford has ramped by SBR's kitty as well.

I suspect that the Stones operate a little like Frank Williams, not the biggest budget, an emphasis on engineering with plenty of depth and drivers who are racers more than stars - they will bounce back. As for the Championship I think its more of a mental thing for Marcus as opposed to an engineering issue, though Little's leaving may effect his confidence.

If GTR is to be believed, then the $$$ for 888's Eurostar second driver may well be out the window. I'm betting that canto may retain his seat - management have been talking him up of late.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 12:57 (Ref:783152)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I am taking a relatively simplistic leap of faith here, and I understand that there are many people in an industry capacity on both sides of the fence that seem to concur with my assessment. Whether they are game to admit as much in public is for them to decide
Old 14 Nov 2003, 21:04 (Ref:783634)   #24
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jesus, what away to start the weekend.
I'm spewing.
After so long waiting for FORD to finally get back on the money and take the fight to the Lion, we are finally looking like a winner. Then along comes 888 and a bucket load of money and once again we're looking like yesterday's hero. I really hope that Marcus and SBR can rise above what must be a devestating moment in their careers and take out the title , regardless of Campbell's departure.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 21:21 (Ref:783651)   #25
kiwi_flier
Rookie

kiwi_flier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I so agree with Allan Jones......

97 was the last time ford won the Championship
98 was the last time ford won bathurst

2003 was the best chance ford had to win either of those, they came soo close at bothurst, please please ford dont doi the same and come 2nd in the championship !!! we need something to show off about to the holden supporters !!