Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 May 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3247863)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Historic BMW racing?

Hi there,

Are there any historic 60s/70s BMW's racing amongst the UK scene, a bit like the one shown in my avatar?

Cheers,

Ben.
Old 15 May 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3247962)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
HSCC Super Touring Car Trophy
Motor Racing Legends HTCC
Masters 70s Celebration
Maybe others?

All the above cater for them or allow them. Tend to race spasmodically, it seems.

If you want to see more than one CSL on track at any time, get over to Spa weekend after next where 9 of 26 entries are that model, plus a 635, 528 and two 2002s....

Old 15 May 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3248058)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of those that have raced recently never seem to be that reliable,the 2002s seem to be going well now though.
Old 17 May 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3248832)   #4
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've raced my E21 323i in the CSCC's Future Classics series over the last few years. Not raced for the last couple though - although, I am considering getting it out again this year for a couple of rounds, as my other car's not going to be ready for a while yet, after a huge shunt at Mallory last year.
Old 17 May 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3248866)   #5
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are 2 or 3 xx02's racing in CSCC Swinging Sixties as well, I think.
Old 18 May 2013, 08:09 (Ref:3249245)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
William Jenkins is a regular in his early 6 series in Classic Touring Car Racing.
Old 18 May 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3249514)   #7
mscott
Rookie

United Kingdom
hampshire
mscott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im currently building a 1974 2002 for regular road rally/race duties here in the uk. once you start looking there are quite a few in competition use over here.
Old 20 May 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3250345)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Little bit later (80/81 production) but where have the E12 M535is gone that used to race in what I think was the Kumho series some years ago? I remember 3 at Thruxton one year. Sold my road version, by the way, after 16 years ownership!
Old 20 May 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3250381)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I have often wondered that, they cannot weigh much more than a 6 series and yet they don't seem to fire the imagination. There was one seriously cheap up for sale not so long ago, I think it was around 5k for what looked like a really nice car. May have been the dual valve engine though.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:23 (Ref:3250457)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually a bit lighter than the 6 series, Al, and played down by BMW at the time, as a result. None fitted with the later 24 valve engine that was fitted to the E28 M5 and E24 M6 - now that really was (and still is) a glorious engine.
Old 22 May 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3251821)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mate of mine is racing a Group A 528 at Spa this weekend.
Old 23 May 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3252184)   #12
flatinfourth
Rookie

flatinfourth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect there is a little awareness that an E12 or E28 five series is lighter than a six series, as sometimes when clubs are approached for eligibility owners are told that they can only run a 528 or 530, still formidable though with a good build! the 535 ran in europe of course.

There is no reason for the cars to be unreliable, the engines, even in road form were of a build standard beyond anything from England or the states, lets not forget that Ford had to go to Cosworth for the pure race GA engine, . just so they could get near the big coupe, with it's iron block road based engine.
Old 23 May 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3252264)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reliability stems from how the engine is put together. No reflection on the product at all,I happen to be a big fan of the marque
I have the privilege of using the latest M3s,have done for a few years now,however,the straight six of the BMW I still rate as the best ever in its class, especially with a little extra work put into it.
Old 23 May 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3252334)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I'm an alfa fan really but you can't argue with german reliability, whether Porsche or BMW.
Old 28 May 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3254672)   #15
solihullian
Rookie

solihullian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i work next door to laranca racing who build classic BMW 1800TI's......all you can hear is the sound of twin webbers all day........its ace!!......
Old 28 May 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3254703)   #16
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatinfourth View Post
There is no reason for the cars to be unreliable, the engines, even in road form were of a build standard beyond anything from England or the states, lets not forget that Ford had to go to Cosworth for the pure race GA engine, . just so they could get near the big coupe, with it's iron block road based engine.
Although the M30 was a sturdy engine, and raced successfully over a long period, the Cosworth GAA engine was built so that the Capri could compete against the BMW with the M49 engine, which was basically the same as an M12 engine with two extra cylinders (F1 and F2 engine) The M49 was as similar to the BMW road car engine as the GAA was to your average Capri 3.0 GT

Conrad

Last edited by brown dog; 28 May 2013 at 20:48.