Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Apr 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3896385)   #276
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
In recent times, half the grid seem to consist of old boys living out their mid-life crisis but now there are some genuinely promising youngsters coming through. What? Are you taking about yogurts now? If you like to watch the racing and dont appreciate the comments may be you could use the button from the remote… Heavy fog apart!
Old 9 Apr 2019, 16:58 (Ref:3896455)   #277
davidhjones
Rookie

United Kingdom
Aldington, Kent
davidhjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very fortunate to get an invite to the Betty Richmond Trophy for my 1966 Mini Cooper S and was pleasantly surprised by the level of attention paid to making sure all cars complied with the Appendix K regs - we all had to present our papers and have a pre-event heads off inspection and capacity check and a few of us (me included unfortunately) got penalised with grid place drops for infringements such as alloy panels and brake drums. All cars lining up for the heats had to prove they had a selectable reverse gear before entering the collection area. So as far as I am concerned the level playing field was enforced. It was a great event to be a part of and the atmosphere was fantastic especially as I was celebrating a "big" birthday which was amusing when I got pulled for a breathalyser check following qualifying!!!
I've heard lots of rumours about past events allowing not so straight cars in, but from what I saw the organisers made great efforts to ensure conformity.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3896458)   #278
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes having done them all except this year, I never had a problem with the scrutineers. But they do pick and choose what they will scrutinise.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3896463)   #279
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes having done them all except this year, I never had a problem with the scrutineers. But they do pick and choose what they will scrutinise.
Worth remembering that from a spectators point of view the circuit provides superb viewing with no high fences and extended safety zones.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3896468)   #280
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3896469)   #281
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhjones View Post
I was very fortunate to get an invite to the Betty Richmond Trophy for my 1966 Mini Cooper S and was pleasantly surprised by the level of attention paid to making sure all cars complied with the Appendix K regs - we all had to present our papers and have a pre-event heads off inspection and capacity check and a few of us (me included unfortunately) got penalised with grid place drops for infringements such as alloy panels and brake drums. All cars lining up for the heats had to prove they had a selectable reverse gear before entering the collection area. So as far as I am concerned the level playing field was enforced. It was a great event to be a part of and the atmosphere was fantastic especially as I was celebrating a "big" birthday which was amusing when I got pulled for a breathalyser check following qualifying!!!
I've heard lots of rumours about past events allowing not so straight cars in, but from what I saw the organisers made great efforts to ensure conformity.
Nice story, Thanks for posting and happy birthday.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3896545)   #282
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It seems Goodwood has delivered again
Old 10 Apr 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3896557)   #283
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Yes the circuit does have good viewing and no high safety barriers!Great for spectators or whatever Goodward calls them.Not so good for car owners and ones that pay the bills.
It’s also a place where most incidents are expensive and can hurt,
Young drivers in Historic’s. The ones that can’t make it in moderns
Goodwood is a grand preninal money making venture and best of luck to them but don’t confuse it with normal Historic Racing.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 11:03 (Ref:3896572)   #284
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Some apparently prefer to look at the fly rather than the ointment ...
Old 10 Apr 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3896576)   #285
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well John is correct that when it bites, it bites quite hard and I speak from bitter experience. I do however like the circuit even if I've never really got to grips with it in the same way that I have Spa.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3896579)   #286
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've never raced at GW but I did some sprints there and really enjoyed the track. It's a driver's venue all right. Loved it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Apr 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3896590)   #287
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It’s an average circuit that was used for actual racing about twenty years.
Only top class racing there in that period was the Nine Hours
Pity the same input for selling a meeting could not have been put into Oulton or Cadwell.
Remember being at F2 race there in 66 and people couldn’t wait to get to Thruxton
Wondered what went wrong with that!?
Have had cars at revival and MM but still not sure why I agreed
The make up and thought process in putting races together absolutely baffles me .
I thought it was to promote close exciting racing to keep the punters happy but that seems not to be the case.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3896627)   #288
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well 100k visitors surely answers that question...

Just because it's not "our" cup of tea doesn't make it "wrong".

As I said I really enjoyed driving on it but of course I only had a low powered road car of zero value. I understand if opinions change when driving the opposite.

Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3896633)   #289
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It’s 100 k over three days.
That’s probably 50 k actual different bodies not that it matters.
I think it’s one of the best meetings and also the very best marketing excecise in motor Racing.Its the place where certain people need to be and be seen.
Question is do the Racing and entrants matter as long as cars are pottering around the track to keeppunters happy.
It’s not at the level of Le Mans Classic or Monaco Historic but the difference is in the historic nature of those circuits.
It’s been an interesting topic on here for twenty years and will continue to be so.
Ideal for punters but actual entrants are divided.
Suppose lots of people wTched those shows at the Coliseum 2000 years ago
Each to his own.!
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3896636)   #290
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Anything but an 'average' circuit except if you are really determined to dislike it, as it lacks only gradient to compare to Brands , Oulton or - especially - Cadwell. And I think even more so now than in its heyday as many once decent , or even great, circuits such as old Silverstone and 70 spec Donington have been ruined by run off areas and fencing . Goodwood is very fast , flowing and long , long corners such as Madgwick present an excellent opportunity for old school cars , without aero or slicks , to show their potential.

Granted, Goodwood has become a tribute act to its own mythologised past and now that we have anniversaries of anniversaries it is becoming more than a little 'meta ' . But it still offers a wonderful experience for all those who take it for what it is .
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3896637)   #291
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Pleased you agree with my comparing it to Cadwell and Oulton!
Old 10 Apr 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3896657)   #292
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this is it in a nutshell.

You either buy into it and are happy to spend extreme amounts of money following, it, or you think there is better on offer elsewhere.

AS said before the MM appeals to a certain class, both monetarily, socially and wannabe and then a smaller level of fan that would literally pay anything to see a 917 wobbling around.

LM knows this, knows exactly who clicks what on his sites, vids etc so accordingly puts that stuff out there for people to lap up.

there are lovers and haters, as usual.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3896670)   #293
midgetman
Veteran

100,000 over three days, one day, one week what does it matter? It's still a hugely profitable undertaking and clearly what the public want. That's more people than attend all club races throughout the country the rest of the year I'm sure. GW has it twice S/Stone another time. Clearly it's what the public wants.

Chacun a son gout as I'm sure Gerard would say, and clearly there's enough "chacuns" with the same "gout" to keep GW in business for many a year.

Old 10 Apr 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3896683)   #294
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Fully agreed, Midget. We need profitable organisers then we can chose to go for watching or racing. Or not. 100 000 over three days or one week doesn't matter as you say wisely. Le Mans Classic apart I wonder how long it could take, here, to count this huge number and my bet is… years! Sad but true.
We have a completely different situation, having to promote meetings to attract as many competitors as possible. Quite a challenge at the moment.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 02:28 (Ref:3896716)   #295
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Silverstone Classic has a decent attendance?
I have no problem with Goodwood other than the circuit needs updating from a safety point of view
Best of luck to them but it’s not the bee all and end all of Historic Racing
It along with Oldtimers, Monterey,Le Mans , Monaco , Silverstone are the ultimate band of race meetings and each owner can take his choice
Old 11 Apr 2019, 08:05 (Ref:3896740)   #296
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
As an event, Goodwood is up there. As a circuit, its just an airfield, like several others in England, and has more appeal to certain types of car. It's definitely a show for the punters more than anything else. I guess those involved from the early days are now a little jaded of all the bluster (and time) and the newer crowd are still in awe of the spectacle. As JR says, you take your choice.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 08:06 (Ref:3896741)   #297
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Silverstone Classic has a decent attendance?
I have no problem with Goodwood other than the circuit needs updating from a safety point of view
Best of luck to them but it’s not the bee all and end all of Historic Racing
It along with Oldtimers, Monterey,Le Mans , Monaco , Silverstone are the ultimate band of race meetings and each owner can take his choice
John,
I first went to Goodwood in 1952 for the Nine Hour Race, and subsequently until the early sixties, for two more Nine Hours, several WSC 6 Hours and numerous National Meetings. Moss, Hawthorn, Behra, Farina, Fangio, and many other 'big names' competed there. The circuit was very dangerous back then, and we lost many good friends, however, that was the name of the game, it said on the ticket. "Motor Racing is Dangerous".

I can't afford Goodwood prices, and don't care for the long hours, traffic queues, etc, but it the closest racing to what I enjoyed in the 1950's.

Too dangerous? A matter of opinion. but one should not race there if worried for one's safety I suppose.

Like someone said, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Kind regards,

Bob
Old 11 Apr 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3896768)   #298
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've no death wish, and drive accordinlgy, so don't win much! but then don't have a record of smashing stuff up either. I don't like the idea of crashing and hurting myself, or nice rare old cars.

Goodwood is certainly potentially more dangerous than just about everywhere else, and it does seem to attract a certain type of racer, add to that the influx of what can only be described as over performing brand new cars, and we have a 'risk' up there with the 50's and 60's 'heyday'
Old 11 Apr 2019, 10:46 (Ref:3896792)   #299
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The discussion about the pros and cons of Goodwood has been ongoing since this forum started
The great thing about it is you are for or against and not much middle ground
It’s superb for the punters with Lavant and Woodcote being great vantage points
It’s different from an entrants perspective in that you have to work out if the costs involved are worth the time and possible consequences of racing there.
It’s a long week for short races and Zef is correct in that more risks are associated with the circuit than others.
The invitation/organisation people change every few years and that stops continuity in entrants
We have had a few entries mostly filling in as seventh reserve!
Despite this and having cars that would ,and have ,added to the spectacle in The Pre War Sports Car Race have not received an entry when some iffy replicas got in. Those races recently due to the lack of depth in the field turned into processions
Goodwood do their own thing and best of luck to them as it’s their money but the racing could be improved by giving more thought to entry list.
I’m to old these days to get to fussed weather we go or not!
More important to keep golf handicap .
Old 11 Apr 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3896795)   #300
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
the racing could be improved by giving more thought to entry list. I’m to old these days to get to fussed weather we go or not!
Well put as always John- especially the last bit!