Alinco 0 0%
Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 May 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3077931)   #1301
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtir.si View Post
169.3375can`t get that on my maycom the nunber last week they guve me was 169.3350 just looked on me scanner how can i get the 3375 bit will only let imput 3350?
You might find that 3350 or 3400 work (3400 works on my uniden, which doesn't go to 3375, either), but if not, you need to look in the manual, and find out how to change the "step" to one of the other settings, or wait 'til you find someone who knows how to
Old 22 May 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3077968)   #1302
gtir.si
Rookie

England
cheshire
gtir.si should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
You might find that 3350 or 3400 work (3400 works on my uniden, which doesn't go to 3375, either), but if not, you need to look in the manual, and find out how to change the "step" to one of the other settings, or wait 'til you find someone who knows how to
gave it a go on the step it doesn`t alter ,the 5 only has that or 0 no 7 on the ar108 maycom . 3350 or 3400 for me.do any scan 3375 ?
Old 22 May 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3077985)   #1303
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtir.si View Post
gave it a go on the step it doesn`t alter ,the 5 only has that or 0 no 7 on the ar108 maycom . 3350 or 3400 for me.do any scan 3375 ?
Here's how you do it:

http://web.onetel.com/~davebrand/Maycomsetup.pdf
Old 22 May 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3078006)   #1304
seanclarke
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sandbach, Cheshire
seanclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

Hey all - thanks for the frequency - just need some motorsport now...
Old 22 May 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3078050)   #1305
gtir.si
Rookie

England
cheshire
gtir.si should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
thanks for that can`t wait for my next marshalling day
Old 1 Jun 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3083495)   #1306
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lost/Found at Oulton Park.

12 May - AMOC meeting.

Found a scanner earpiece on the ground at Druids corner. One end a 3.5mm jack, the other fits in ear like an earplug.

Sorry for delay. Been poorly and only just found it in a side pocket.

PM me if yours.

Phil
Old 26 Jun 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3098261)   #1307
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are the frequencies quoted on here for Silverstone still valid?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 09:20 (Ref:3098275)   #1308
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
says:
I think you may have a typo in the freq you quote. It is probably 169.3375MHz.

Jim is correct. (Standard 25kHz spacing means the freq always ends in 25/50/75 or 00)

Sorry to be pedantic but it was my job!
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3098307)   #1309
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone ES1 is now the old ES2 frequency, I don't know what the new ES2 is.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3098341)   #1310
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750MC sometimes use a different frequency that starts 173.0000, perhaps Peter can help.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3098961)   #1311
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
750MC sometimes use a different frequency that starts 173.0000, perhaps Peter can help.
We use 173.050 (tone locked), for admin, especially at Silverstone as we can then communicate with pits/assembly.

Also use it as Emergency at Anglesey as they do not have licence for 169.3375 making it's use there illegal.

At Mallory we often do the same as there is another local user who sometimes interferes. Worrying as that shoudln't happen if Mallory have the local licence which they assure us they have.

I am sure someone has in nationally under control. Have spoken with MSA and Radio agency so suspect it's someone else!
Old 24 Sep 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3141052)   #1312
Steve Newham
Rookie

Steve Newham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbie, question on scanners

I am a newbie in the world of marshalling, and was looking for some advice on scanners.
a. would it enhance the enjoyment of marshalling, or are they unnecessary ?
b, which one do people recommend ?
c, does anyone have one for sale that they don't use any more.
d. Is there anything else I should know ??

Thanks
Steve Newham
Old 24 Sep 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3141059)   #1313
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Newham View Post
I am a newbie in the world of marshalling, and was looking for some advice on scanners.

Thanks
Steve Newham
If you are a Trainee, in my opinion, I would say WAIT. Dont get one yet untill you have done a training day, attended some race meetings and had some incidents. They can easily distract your attention from what you should be doing to listening to the scanner. I think a lot of people would agreee with me.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3141061)   #1314
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:

Thanks
Steve Newham
I'm guilty of getting a scanner for event 1 which probably isn't recommended if I'm being honest. Have a few events to enjoy what happens around you first and ask other marshals on post with you what they think first. But in answer to your questions:

A) they do give you an idea of what's happening where, but only a very basic idea!

B) again ask around as to what people are using.

C) no!

D) I find it most useful for the last car number at the end of a session, but again don't assume that is correct as someone who had preciously stopped on track could have got going enough to return under own steam.

Most importantly DON'T ACT ON WHAT YOU HEAR ON THE SCANNER. It is information only and not instructions for you. Sometimes it is useful if you here a recovery truck will be using the gate near you to be ready to open it as it approaches, but never say put a red flag out based on the radio. It could be a post chief asking for one and not race control saying yes.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3141089)   #1315
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good advice there Steve, I would just reinforce the suggestion that you wait a while as they are not cheap, and if circuits do go over to digital, you might have wasted your money on an analogue scanner. Wait for the training days next year and ask again then.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 06:40 (Ref:3141252)   #1316
Steve Newham
Rookie

Steve Newham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, all are very valid and from the people with experience.
I shall take your advice and wait.
Once again thanks
Steve
Old 25 Sep 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3141310)   #1317
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjt1985 View Post
but never say put a red flag out based on the radio. It could be a post chief asking for one and not race control saying yes.

Post Chiefs will (or should!) never ask for a "red flag" for just that reason.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3141389)   #1318
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 'R' word should never, ever be used.
A Post Chief should ask for a Race Stop, or a safety Car.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3141410)   #1319
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would agree with what prev said, wait until you are a good way through your training as most track marshals carry a scanner. i use the usual Maycom Ar108 from maplins and it is a good bit of kit.

Never act upon what you hear, it just gives you a heads up as to what is happening around you especially if you are not in shouting distance of your post chief
Old 25 Sep 2012, 14:12 (Ref:3141445)   #1320
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bottom line is it can be helpful and interesting to know what is going on.

I'd suggest you get some meetings under your belt first, before you get your own, so you learn how to pay attention to what's going on immediately around you first. Chances are, there will be someone near you with one who can let you know what's going on elsewhere. It's more important for flaggies to have scanners, than anyone else, and PC's on circuits which use phones. Don't worry too much about not having one.

Bear in mind that a couple of circuits / events have already moved over to digital radios, for which a scanner will be useless.

Some people will tell you that you can do the job perfectly adequately, without one, and that's true, but there will be times, for example, when you might be stuck on your won somewhere need the loo, and hear over the scanner that it will take 10 min to repair some barrier somewhere.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 14:18 (Ref:3141450)   #1321
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjt1985 View Post
DON'T ACT ON WHAT YOU HEAR ON THE SCANNER.
Not quite as black and white as that. If you (as a flaggie for eg) hear someone ask for a stop or an S/C, you *should* use this information to be ready to display the appropriate signals - e.g. by watching adjacent posts more closely than you might otherwise do (Yes, I know one *should* look out all the time, but if you're single manning a post, and the next flag point is not in line of sight, it's not always easy to do).

Similarly, even something simple like green flags - if you sit down and properly rest yourself between sessions, you *should* use this information to make sure you are back up and ready to go.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3141466)   #1322
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not quite as black and white as that. If you (as a flaggie for eg) hear someone ask for a stop or an S/C, you *should* use this information to be ready to display the appropriate signals - e.g. by watching adjacent posts more closely than you might otherwise do (Yes, I know one *should* look out all the time, but if you're single manning a post, and the next flag point is not in line of sight, it's not always easy to do).

Similarly, even something simple like green flags - if you sit down and properly rest yourself between sessions, you *should* use this information to make sure you are back up and ready to go.
Completely agree - sound words.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3141555)   #1323
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also add that an awful lot of people hang on every word on the scanner and are not paying attention to what's going around them. If you are in a group and someone has the scanner share the info that's worthwhile but don't all stand there in silence - you are there to enjoy yourselves so talk to each other. Otherwise it's as bad as being out with someone who spends their entire time on the phone / texting (that's a personal bee in my bonnet especially people in restaurants - bad form I say!!) Oops rant over and back to topic.

Take your time - there's an art to filtering out the rubbish on the radio and listening out for the useful bits. And in your first year there's a lot to learn from everyone around you to start with
Old 25 Sep 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3141638)   #1324
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with all the good info above; I find a scanner very useful. I'm used to being 'plugged in' from where I last worked but I can see how a scanner could be distracting to some.
Also I've lost count at how many times the green flag or race start wasn't announced on the scanner, and many times the last car wasn't!
Also must re-iterate if you are the only one on post with a scanner then please share the (useful) info with the rest of the team.

Re buying one, I got a Maycom AR108 (prob the cheapest/smallest) for under fifty quid from Maplin 'B Grade.'
Old 25 Sep 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3141668)   #1325
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Very fair point that you can use it to prepare for action, but not the actual action itself.