Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2759843)   #26
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I actually think - and a couple of other people have mentioned this - that Martin Brundle is more than capable of taking on the lead commentator role, with another ex-driver alongside as analyst. Brundle has won awards as a broadcaster, and you don't get many ex-sportsmen who do that.
Yes but, in the analyst role. I don't think there are many better in that regard, but I'm not sure he's suited to the lead commentator role. Not that he's 'not good enough to make the step-up', but they're two different styles of commentary.

Also, in regards to getting another radio guy in, I'm surprised there's not a bit more love for Crofty! I think he's great when watching practice sessions.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2759844)   #27
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll give it a shot. Who'll sign a petition?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2759845)   #28
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there any substance to this thing I read about Crofty and Martin Brundle not getting on? Otherwise, they are an obvious pair. *Edit- in fact, they're N obvious pair even if they don't get on that great, because it would not be difficult for them to have more rapport than Martin and Jonathan.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2759847)   #29
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Yes but, in the analyst role. I don't think there are many better in that regard, but I'm not sure he's suited to the lead commentator role. Not that he's 'not good enough to make the step-up', but they're two different styles of commentary.
I know. What I'm saying is that I think Brundle can do either role. You obviously can't have two analysts, that would be ridiculous! I genuinely think Brundle could move to being lead commentator - yes, it would require adapting his commentary style, but I think he could do it.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Sep 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2759853)   #30
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crofty is great for practice sessions, but if you listen to him during the races he can get a little bit too much, trying to make everything sound very exciting. At least during the start of the races. Other than that I like him alot, im sure he would do a much better job than Legard
Old 15 Sep 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2759857)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree that Martin could do the lead commentator role. He could still provide his usual insight. Perhaps a realisation that the format can be re-jigged is the way forward. So you could have Martin on lead vocal, bringing his insight as well, and a more recent F1 driver alongside him.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2759894)   #32
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Spot on. His little phrases and idiosyncrasies really annoy me. I find it really irritating when he talks about what "people" and "everyone" think - I know we all generalise sometimes (I just did it then!), but it's so annoying. He isn't the only member of the BBC team to do it, though; Eddie Jordan said during the Spa pre-race show that "everyone wants Mark Webber to win the title". I was jumping up and down going "I don't! I don't!"

If the BBC does decide to replace him, I just hope they don't get another radio guy in. It took Legard most of last season to remember that the audience can see what he's talking about and stop describing everything.

I actually think - and a couple of other people have mentioned this - that Martin Brundle is more than capable of taking on the lead commentator role, with another ex-driver alongside as analyst. Brundle has won awards as a broadcaster, and you don't get many ex-sportsmen who do that.
I'll add my (not inconsiderable) weight to that arguement. There were a few occasions on Sunday where Martin noticeably acted like a commentator. Unfortunately I can't remember any specific instances to enable me to post actual quotes, but I thought he was extremely professional.
(Generally I just enjoy his insights and grid walk, but when Hamilton had his coming together with Massa, Brundle instantly spotted the broken steering arm saying he's out of the race. Jonathon Legless just carried on waffling...)
Old 15 Sep 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2759898)   #33
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh joy! How I missed this thread, I don't know. I thought I was alone in my complete and utter contempt for Mr Legard and his inane ramblings. One more uttering of "pushing on" and I'll have to trash the TV. Maybe an online petition to show the level of feeling? Same thing for Mr "mix my metaphors" Jordan.

How about making Martin Brundle the lead commentator, and rope in Eddie Irvine to be a latter-day James Hunt. What a combination that would be!
Old 15 Sep 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2759902)   #34
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I'm wondering if DC is being fitted for the role alongside Martin?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2759905)   #35
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
I'm wondering if DC is being fitted for the role alongside Martin?
Its quite possible, but I really don't think DC would work very well in that role. His skills there aren't as good as Allan McNish, Anthony Davidson or even Karun Chandok.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2759906)   #36
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I desperately hope not. The torture of listening to a Red Bull spokesman for two hours straight would instantly destroy my enjoyment of Brundle's excellent commentary.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Sep 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2759918)   #37
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like James Allen back (the pre Hamilton version thanks!!) and on the following conditions:

1) He never EVER says Sennaesque!
2) He never EVER describes Hamilton's overtakes as "majestic"
3) He never EVER goes crazy like at the end of Hungary 06 when Button won

Other than that, I'd really like to see him back. Here in Australia, before we cross to the BBC feed, we get James Allen's reports from the paddock and they are often pretty good.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2759926)   #38
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Jonathon Legless just carried on waffling...
*Hamilton skates off the track into the gravel with his broken steering*

Legard: "Oh and that's Hamilton! This doesn't look too good at all!"

I've noticed a lot of things "don't look good at all" to him. Usually things that are on fire, in the barrier, or missing wheels. I always get the feeling he's not 100% sure when he sees these things that the person involved is actually out of the race. Even when he does get the stomach to say "...with Lewis Hamilton out of the race" he always puts a "it seems" on the end.

It doesn't 'seem' that way, Jonathan, it IS that way. He's in the gravel with a wheel pointing the wrong way and his engine off.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2759932)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

It doesn't 'seem' that way, Jonathan, it IS that way. He's in the gravel with a wheel pointing the wrong way and his engine off.
He could always jump in Jenson's car.

No one has tried that so far this season. Not even Ferrari. It's banned, apparently.

But yes, it's things like stating the obvious and then leaving some doubt, that really gets on your wick with JL!
Old 15 Sep 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2759938)   #40
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
*Hamilton skates off the track into the gravel with his broken steering*

Legard: "Oh and that's Hamilton! This doesn't look too good at all!"

I've noticed a lot of things "don't look good at all" to him. Usually things that are on fire, in the barrier, or missing wheels. I always get the feeling he's not 100% sure when he sees these things that the person involved is actually out of the race. Even when he does get the stomach to say "...with Lewis Hamilton out of the race" he always puts a "it seems" on the end.

Murray Walker used to do the same, making obvious errors, but he did it with such charm. His mistakes used to seem to come form over-enthusiasm, coupled with great pasion and excitement that JL doesn't seem to convey, or at least it seems like staged excitement when he tries to sound passionate.

My all time faourite quote of Murrays for its complete 'non-value' content has to be:

"This has been a great season for Nelson Piquet, as he is now known, and always has been"

or

Murray : And Coulthard is now on the inside, AND HE'S GOING THROUGH!!! (add appropriate excitement)
Martin : That's a replay, Murray.

and sooo many more.

Also, everytime I watch this clip (45 sec in ) it never ceases to make me laugh out load:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXDE...eature=related

OK so stop dreaming of the good old days, back on topic - I agree I think Brundle could do it, but I feel he is best with the odd sensible contribution and dry racing wit. When he says things you just know its no BS and he is a true racer himself, it really comes across. There are several very good commentators that cover the national racing series that could easily step in and do twice the job of JL.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2759949)   #41
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
Murray : And Coulthard is now on the inside, AND HE'S GOING THROUGH!!! (add appropriate excitement)
Martin : That's a replay, Murray.
We still get this every race with Legard!

"And here's Hamilton going through on the inside, maybe?"
"No I think this is a replay".

"Oh and this is...Alonso going past again? So Massa got back through somewhere but Alonso past yet again."
"I think we're looking at a replay there"

And every single time a car gets out of the slipstream "he's coming through here perhaps?! No, not this time!"
Old 15 Sep 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2759953)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is after all a people sport. Like it or not half the entertainment comes from opinion. We tend to think of Murray (and in my case) James H as being the pinnacle of F1 commentary teams. Yet the variations in levels of enthusiasm are there to see in Legard and others.

I like Jake H although I'd never heard of him before the F1 gig, yet he comes across as a consummate professional, knowing what questions to ask and when. DC and EJ provide good entertainment. Charlie Cox would be a retrograde step IMO. He's crass and lacks the flair of Murray who could get away with the "pants on fire" thing.

Never heard Ben thingy.

I like Crofty and of course have the utmost respect for Ant and Karun.

Why not put Lee McKenzie in the Legard slot if there has to be a change? She knows her stuff.

Frankly I'd leave it as is though.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2759962)   #43
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Also, in regards to getting another radio guy in, I'm surprised there's not a bit more love for Crofty! I think he's great when watching practice sessions.
I like crofty also. Very good alternative.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2759968)   #44
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Allan McNish, Anthony Davidson or even Karun Chandok.
I think Karun is the best analyst out of the three. He is a fountain of knowledge and he doesn't waffle. He says what needs to be said and he will even keep you informed as to whats going on on-track while he's giving you useull information. Its a hard skill to master. I think he's brilliant however as mentioned before with his age his career would probably be more of a priority than becoming a commentator.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2759969)   #45
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Whats Murray up to these days...?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2759978)   #46
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
I think Karun is the best analyst out of the three. He is a fountain of knowledge and he doesn't waffle. He says what needs to be said and he will even keep you informed as to whats going on on-track while he's giving you useull information. Its a hard skill to master. I think he's brilliant however as mentioned before with his age his career would probably be more of a priority than becoming a commentator.
Definitely agreed. He keeps its sharp and to the point, and what he has to say is interesting, relevant, and informative, and thats what a good commentator should be like.

I would also vote for Ben as a commentator. However, that would probably mean taking him off the BTCC, and I'd rather he was there than in F1 - far more interesting........(probably shouldn't say that in the F1 forum!!!)

Murray though for me was the voice of F1 - today, Ben is as close as you can get.

The other thing with Legard is that he has started muttering far too much. I didn't mind him at the start, but a muffled voice is not a commentator voice.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2759989)   #47
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Agreed. Far superior to any other 'front man' used so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
For the non-hardcore F1 fan, Jake is absolutely brilliant. His willingness to demonstrate his lack of knowledge but do it in a way which asks the question that 10 million people want answered is a superlative skill.

Also worth remembering is that he's a safe and well-known face for two or three generations of children who grew up with him doing Children's BBC, many of whom will be casual F1 watchers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I agree about Jake, he has been much better in that role than I expected and the fact that he is not an F1 expert works Ok because he defers to the knowledge of the others.
Just dump Jake, hasn't an opinion worth listening to, you have to have expert knowledge of the sport you are hosting. Problem is he sometimes thinks he has an opinion worth listening too. CBBC's feed is his perfect habitat.

The BBC F1 show as motorsport presentation isn't great, just a bit better than ITV, good is too strong a word, as an overall package, its just fair.

In some regards they are strangled by things like the limited pit radio tranmissions, but BBC F1 should be better than it is.

Its also a shame the BBC have little or no coverage of any other kind of motorsport.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2759990)   #48
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
John Watson used to do an excellent job in the days when Eurosport showed GP coverage and I believe his services might be available.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:08 (Ref:2759991)   #49
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was the BBC I would swap Croft and Legard. Pit Legard back on the radio duties and bring Croft to the tv.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2759995)   #50
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Be very afraid if you get Cox for this.

You will constantly hear words like shuffle and nightmare in a bubble car that will drive you insane as his bike commentary does!

He is occasionally funny and has a good rapprt with people, but his commentary (hos main job after all) is dire and very limited in knowledge being a driver after all.

Brunders is fine, but Legard needs to go, simply not good enough and still rambling on while things are happening that he doesnt notice and Martin does, then gets almost told off for interrupting!