Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 16 Dec 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2805302)   #51
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Well, there's no need to get worked up about in this forum any more because he will be racing trucks in the USA in 2011.

Personally, I agree with those have expressed some sympathy for him in the predicament in which he was placed and I wish him well in the future.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2805308)   #52
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Piquet only crashed for his own gain to stay in F1, nobody forced the car into the wall other than the driver himself who made that decision.
Obviously stated by himself in the interview...
Old 17 Dec 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2805556)   #53
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think everyone who has called him out needs to take a step back and think about it. think about how you were at the age piquet was when he was in the situation, think about how your thought processes went, factor in his father and the slightly odd mentality of a racing dad, then add into the equation that you're doing something you've spent your whole life working towards.

it's a no-win situation, isn't it? either you take the decision and bin it, or you say no, and get shown the door shortly afterwards and be subjected to briatore's usual pastings in the media when you've done nothing to deserve it except stand by your own moral standards.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2805567)   #54
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
It's like University, not the be all and end of all things.
Now you mention it, F1 is like university. 'cause if you're young and you want to enter it, you need to bring money!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2805705)   #55
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For starters I was never a fan of piquet jr and his manufactured and paid for career. He always seemed a bit spoiled and had his overbearing father trying to relive his career thru him.

However in this situation I have to empathize with him. Yes what he did was wrong, but to be tarred and feathered for life, I'd say it's a bit ridiculous. When you are that age and have vultures like briatore leaching off of you, plus being an F1 driver and all that entails, it's a lot of pressure to be under and I can understand someone of piquet's mentality cracking.

It seems he has learned from it and good for him. Probably time for it all to move on.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2806861)   #56
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw this the other day on Motorsport.com

A bit off topic, but still interesting...

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=396584
Old 21 Dec 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2806876)   #57
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nea View Post

Not only the Piquets but many other drivers are in the same boat.
But that will turn out to be nothing at all, trust me.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2806953)   #58
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nea View Post

Makes you wonder who else in F1 is involved in money laundering.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2806974)   #59
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Not only the Piquets but many other drivers are in the same boat.
But that will turn out to be nothing at all, trust me.
If you say that, it's good enough for me.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2807422)   #60
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's a no-win situation, isn't it? either you take the decision and bin it, or you say no, and get shown the door shortly afterwards and be subjected to briatore's usual pastings in the media when you've done nothing to deserve it except stand by your own moral standards.
I'll admit it wasn't a nice position to be in, but it ultimately ended the same, Piquet JR was shown the door and his reputation will be forever tarnished. I'm sure, had he refused and been given the sack, the reasons for the sacking would have come out. Ok, i understand that, from Briatore, it would have been his word against mine, but i'm convinced that the F1 world would have had more sympathy for Jr getting the gooner than they have now.

As i say it wasn't a nice position, and maybe he was young, but 25 in F1 isn't "that" young, we have 4 WDC's on the grid today that achieved their first championships before that age and ultimately he knew the pitfalls. Someone who hires an assassin is gulity of murder, but doesn't make the assassin any less guilty.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2807428)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sooo, if the Piquets won the case, who won the world cruise with P&O? Er, we are talking about the FIA Christmas raffle aren't we?
Old 23 Dec 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2807975)   #62
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Hans View Post
Well, it's quite simple. Piquet was guilty of crashing on purpose and lying about it, as he accepts. But he has now been cleared of lying to blackmail Renault (a more serious offence).
We now know that he didn't lie to blackmail Renault. He told the truth to blackmail Renault. So that's all right then.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 02:13 (Ref:2808319)   #63
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yet Flavio, who seems to have been the architect of the whole sordid affair and indeed the one who it seems asked Piquet to crash, even specifying the lap to do it, is now it seems welcome to rejoin F1, and strut around the paddock with the air of total innocence over the entire 'crashgate' scandal.

Another case of F1 top brass looking after their mates? Personally if I had anything to do with Briatore's attendance of a GP I would not even consider him for the privilege of an all access pass. I would ensure he was limited to the general public areas.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2808466)   #64
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

It sounds like "Mafia", doesn't it ?
Old 30 Dec 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2809407)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Yet Flavio, who seems to have been the architect of the whole sordid affair and indeed the one who it seems asked Piquet to crash, even specifying the lap to do it, is now it seems welcome to rejoin F1, and strut around the paddock with the air of total innocence over the entire 'crashgate' scandal.

Another case of F1 top brass looking after their mates? Personally if I had anything to do with Briatore's attendance of a GP I would not even consider him for the privilege of an all access pass. I would ensure he was limited to the general public areas.
I'd have him buy a ticket.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2811073)   #66
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
My thoughts go like this...

If Flavio had not told him to do it, would it have happened? Powerful men like Briatore are difficult to turn down (I give you Pimps and Dictators as two examples).

Even after all this, Piquet is the one who is out of a decent paying job, whilst Briatore, the architect of the whole sorry episode, doesn't give a damn and still has the money to strut around. He should be in jail (like pimps and dictators)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2811178)   #67
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Personally I find people like Briatore reprehensible.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2811191)   #68
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
If Flavio had not told him to do it, would it have happened? Powerful men like Briatore are difficult to turn down (I give you Pimps and Dictators as two examples).
What would have happened had Jnr turned him down? Been out of a job, at worst, but that said, the Piquets would have bought the story to light, but with a difference. The world would have hailed NP Jnr as a hero for turning FB down and other teams would likely have hired him. But now he has a tainted reputation.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2811247)   #69
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
What would have happened had Jnr turned him down? Been out of a job, at worst, but that said, the Piquets would have bought the story to light, but with a difference. The world would have hailed NP Jnr as a hero for turning FB down and other teams would likely have hired him. But now he has a tainted reputation.
That's called YOUTH...
Old 4 Jan 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2811248)   #70
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Personally I find people like Briatore reprehensible.
Too soft !
Old 4 Jan 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2811260)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Too soft !
Well I didn't want to get chucked off the forum.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 00:35 (Ref:2811282)   #72
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
That's called YOUTH...
I don't agree, if it was you or me then maybe, but he's a Piquet and that carries alot of weight, especially with his old mans backing! We only have to look at the fact that the family won the case that this whole thread is about.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2811666)   #73
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I don't agree, if it was you or me then maybe, but he's a Piquet and that carries alot of weight, especially with his old mans backing! We only have to look at the fact that the family won the case that this whole thread is about.
Uhn... the only way I can see it, it's that he's human like anybody else, and if you remember, his daddy was not around, and he felt pressured to perform for his father champion... typical like many youngsters everywhere.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 01:35 (Ref:2811721)   #74
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Uhn... the only way I can see it, it's that he's human like anybody else, and if you remember, his daddy was not around, and he felt pressured to perform for his father champion... typical like many youngsters everywhere.
That's how I see it, too, and this particular daddy can be very forceful. I've seen him in a bad mood...
Old 6 Jan 2011, 01:41 (Ref:2811724)   #75
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
That's how I see it, too, and this particular daddy can be very forceful. I've seen him in a bad mood...
Yep, he (Daddy) would have to be one of the more spiteful drivers I can recall.....
Closed Thread