Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Mar 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2852465)   #1
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
WTCC race at the Nordschleife - Nürburgring

According Autosport : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90143 they are looking at racing the WTCC at the famous Nordschleife track in the future.
That would be something, how long has it been since an international FIA championship race has run there?
Old 24 Mar 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2852467)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good thing I checked the forum one last time before hitting the submit button, you beat me by about a minute or so!

As for the topic at hand, oh yes please, please, PLEASE let it happen! It would be simply fantastic and certainly something that'd bring a lot of attention to the WTCC!
Old 24 Mar 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2852478)   #3
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I will certainly be there when it happens, just to see those cars going through Karousell would be great!
Old 24 Mar 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2852484)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure if it's feasible.... they'd be mere also rans on the 24 hours weekend and they'd probably have to start in one field with some one make series to make up the numbers. Doesn't really sound all that enticing to me.

And then, paddock space is severly limited on the 24 hours weekend, so finding room for WTCC-style hospitality tents would be another issue...
Old 24 Mar 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2852486)   #5
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh god yes! As long as they can make the racing interesting, use the 24 hour layout, and make the cars better, yes!
Old 24 Mar 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2852493)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Oh god yes! As long as they can make the racing interesting, use the 24 hour layout, and make the cars better, yes!
My biggest concern would be if we'd have a similar manufacturer situation that we have this year. Having, for example, a two-lap parade with three Chevrolets up front would just be a waste of time.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2852526)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
My worry is all that talk about getting an FIA homologation. Does homologation = tarmac run off and moving the barriers back 50 feet? If thats the case, then they can leave the Ring as it is and race some place else thankyou very much.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2852530)   #8
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be spectacular. But why races for only two laps?
Old 24 Mar 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2852548)   #9
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
50 km is a usual distance for that WC. Besides tyres are too soft. Only real racing cars will stand for 3 laps and more. Would be a BMWfest.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2852567)   #10
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
50 km is a usual distance for that WC. Besides tyres are too soft. Only real racing cars will stand for 3 laps and more. Would be a BMWfest.
You don't think that those silhouettes that break as easy as glas would survive a lap, do you?
Old 24 Mar 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2852569)   #11
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racing just 2 laps on a circuit in a world championship just seems a bit pathetic...When the cars are faster, competition is closer and races are of decent length then yes please, but until then I actually think such an event could damage the WTCC's image.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2852574)   #12
Superstars
Rookie

Superstars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree WTCC's races are too short, but what's the difference between 50km in the streets of Marrakech or 50km over the Nordschleife? I think it's better if they race on real tracks!
Old 24 Mar 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2852575)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
racing just 2 laps on a circuit in a world championship just seems a bit pathetic...When the cars are faster, competition is closer and races are of decent length then yes please, but until then I actually think such an event could damage the WTCC's image.
Maybe the two races could be held back to back, i.e. dowing a two lap lag, then using the GP-track short cut into the pits, have a quick tire change have another formation lap around the GP-track and then a rolling start into race 2...
Old 24 Mar 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2852620)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Would be great
Old 24 Mar 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2852692)   #15
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are we joking?
let me remind you that this year the wtcc will run on the short circuit of suzuka (i dont agree because its a wonderfull circuit and its a pity cut a part of it) to increase the number of lap from 9 to 22.

what sort of race can be to make 2 laps in the old nurburgring?

but i agree to run in the same nurburgring where run the f1. it is a beauty circuit specially lots more than oschersleben.

if i could add 1 circuit to the fia wtcc it would be ABU DHABI.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2852694)   #16
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but as i already said in the past the main problem of the wtcc is the lenght of the race.
50 km for each race is not enought.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2852703)   #17
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with Iceman - 5 laps per race minimum (have pit stops if need be)

They have to run on a VLN weekend (no marshal or spectator would show up for so few laps) - NOT the 24hr, as they would look a very poor support.

Support races can run on the GP circuit (this happens at the 24hr)

Not enough cars, circuit would look empty - run another touring car race (Euro Cup?) at the same time, starting 60 seconds after the WTCC (national GT championships did this sort of thing at Spa)

Given that GT2 cars run at the VLN/24hr, there can be no safety reason for it not to happen other than having enough marshals etc.. (which as I said, would be dealt with by running same weekend as VLN)
Old 24 Mar 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2852706)   #18
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lotti keeps rambling about grade 4 requirements and necessary changes, but he is talking pure and utter BS - Nordschleife already has FIA Grade 3 status, and S2000s can race anywhere within grade 1-4. Much much faster and more powerful machinery, such as GT2 and GT3 race regulary on the track with no problem.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2852755)   #19
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Not enough cars, circuit would look empty - run another touring car race (Euro Cup?) at the same time, starting 60 seconds after the WTCC (national GT championships did this sort of thing at Spa)
Very valid point there. They could run a session like that with the ADAC Procar running behind them?
Old 25 Mar 2011, 00:11 (Ref:2852817)   #20
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Lotti keeps rambling about grade 4 requirements and necessary changes, but he is talking pure and utter BS - Nordschleife already has FIA Grade 3 status, and S2000s can race anywhere within grade 1-4. Much much faster and more powerful machinery, such as GT2 and GT3 race regulary on the track with no problem.
Exactly. They run a 190-car 24 Hour race with GT2 and below machinery happily each year. Bit sad to see a series boss talking out of his ass like that.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2852821)   #21
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Very valid point there. They could run a session like that with the ADAC Procar running behind them?
Another seven cars would do little to improve the looks of it. And running two laps is silly, people do more in their road cars on a regular day there. What they should do is something special, like a 1000km race (a race which has history in itself), Super 2000 as the main class and have lots of slower support classes. Not just ETCC-style S1600, but a slew of classes to bump the grid up to 50+ cars, perhaps more (80? 100? You could easily do it). It's supposed to be an event, not a two-lap sideshow to a much more interesting race later that weekend.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 00:30 (Ref:2852824)   #22
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Exactly. They run a 190-car 24 Hour race with GT2 and below machinery happily each year. Bit sad to see a series boss talking out of his ass like that.
Indeed, in the 24hr race there has been ex-WTCC S2000 BMWs racing in it.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 01:28 (Ref:2852840)   #23
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Another seven cars would do little to improve the looks of it. And running two laps is silly, people do more in their road cars on a regular day there. What they should do is something special, like a 1000km race (a race which has history in itself), Super 2000 as the main class and have lots of slower support classes. Not just ETCC-style S1600, but a slew of classes to bump the grid up to 50+ cars, perhaps more (80? 100? You could easily do it). It's supposed to be an event, not a two-lap sideshow to a much more interesting race later that weekend.
I agree on the special thing. Touring cars have a bit of history with a 500km race there, so that could be well a distance too.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2852884)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Problem is to find suitable classes to bump the grid... I supposse most cars run in VLN are actually faster than current WTCC-machinery, and those that aren't are very close to roadcar spec, so not much to look at...
Old 25 Mar 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2852891)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Here's an idea: have the WTCC sit down with the STCC, BTCC and any other suitable touring car championship, agree on a date, set up a big, fat prize fund and have a one-weekend touring car Cup of sorts.