Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3916893)   #1
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
So Silverstone Keeps the GP

Rather surprised no thread on this yet....The official announcement is fairly bland, so does anyone know the details of the new 5-year deal?

Although I find it ridiculously expensive, I'm generally pleased that a deal had been done, because I couldn't see anywhere else being able to host the British GP, and it would seem crazy for it to be lost completely.

I know there is talk of a London race, but can't see that as anything other than a less satisfactory race around the Isle of Dogs....
Old 10 Jul 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3916913)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It makes sense. Most teams are based in England, so to lose the British GP would have been wrong on so many levels. Glad common sense has prevailed
Old 10 Jul 2019, 19:34 (Ref:3916915)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm guessing a serious discount was offered since no terms seemed to have leaked out yet. Although I would expect them at some point here soon.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3917050)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not really a surprise TBH formula 1 is not having a great season and dumping silverstone would have been a real shooting yourself in the foot moment.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 08:40 (Ref:3917110)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would eat my hat if the British Grand Prix went (although I'd find a place that made chocolate ones). It's all just a negotiating tactic, one hopes.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3917113)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bank must have extended their overdraft.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3917119)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I just hope whatever deal they have done, it doesn't bankrupt the circuit.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3917193)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Delighted to hear this news ! Silverstone is a very special place it would be a tragedy to loose this Grand Prix ...
Old 12 Jul 2019, 18:33 (Ref:3917213)   #9
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Silverstone is a very special place....
Is it? How so? The history and crowd for sure. The circuit itself ... I can't see that personally. It's an industrial estate. The Beckett's esses are awesome ... the rest not so much.

Happy to hear your arguments to the contrary!
Old 12 Jul 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3917227)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The circuit is still one of the fastest on the calendar. It’s not as stop start as some of the others
Old 13 Jul 2019, 09:42 (Ref:3917314)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Circuit is flat, it needs some elevation changes to be honest.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3917332)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

You can’t really do that with a former airfield circuit though
Old 13 Jul 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3917362)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Circuit is flat, it needs some elevation changes to be honest.
Generally I agree with you. However, we don’t need every circuit to have elevation change. Variety is needed on the calendar. So I’m up for some flatties and Silverstone is a great one, especially with some of those ace corners. It’s a blast to drive.

Flat Monza can stay too
Old 14 Jul 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3917504)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just listening to various drivers in these pre race features describe the Maggots & Becketts complex drives home that point.

If you dont enjoy seeing a car go through there then whats the point really?
Old 14 Jul 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3917510)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Is it? How so? The history and crowd for sure. The circuit itself ... I can't see that personally. It's an industrial estate. The Beckett's esses are awesome ... the rest not so much.

Brooklands, Luffield, Copse, Maggots, Becketts, Chapel, Stowe.

There are more good corners with personality at Silverstone than half the calendar combined. Granted Abbey through to Wellington is a bit meh, but in a world where small radius corners where you clip the apex are beginning to dominate the calendar, Silverstone's long flowing corners stand out.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3917606)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's just to easy to bash Silverstone as a flat airfield circuit. Personally, having been there many times, albeit more often for sportscar races than F1, I still love it and it's still a better spectator circuit than most give it credit for. But oh for that bridge or underpass from the outside to the inside on the main straight......
Old 14 Jul 2019, 16:46 (Ref:3917622)   #17
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
But oh for that bridge or underpass from the outside to the inside on the main straight......
The new hotel being built opposite The Wing will, according to the chatter on the Sky F1 coverage, include such a bridge, but it wasn't clear whether this would be for general spectator use or just for hotel guests to get to hospitality in The Wing. If the latter, that would be a very poor decision which would irritate many.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 22:09 (Ref:3917708)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I’d have left the circuit as it was in tune ‘80s, but either version is ace. Good for racing and fast.

Oh and driving through Copse, Stowe, Maggots, etc... is ace.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 08:09 (Ref:3917760)   #19
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I would eat my hat if the British Grand Prix went (although I'd find a place that made chocolate ones).
Old 15 Jul 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3917762)   #20
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Watch yesterday's race. That's my argument to the contrary.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3917778)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

Nice flowing circuit, great battles, huge crowds, need I go on?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3917793)   #22
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm very pleased we're going to have at least another 5 GPs at Silverstone. It's a mammoth event and I'm happy to be a tiny part of it, considering all the wet windy meetings I do where there's only two people spectating, seeing the place alive and jumping is a great thing.

One of my marshal colleagues brought a friend with him as his guest this year, who'd watched for years on TV but had never been. He did loads of walking and exploring on Friday and Saturday, then on Saturday night we told him to try to get his chair on the bank at the end of the Maggotts/Becketts sequence for Sunday.

He did.

When he came back to the campsite, he was completely blown away. I'll paraphrase: "the F3 cars looked quick, then the F2 cars were quicker, then there were loads of Porsches wobbling all over the shop, and then the F1 cars came out... even the slow ones were mind-blowingly quick through there. The direction changes are awesome!"

He said it was one of the most amazing experiences, and was thankful for the advice. I think we might have a new enthusiast
Old 15 Jul 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3917873)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good news! And good to hear people enjoying the spectacle. As I said before, it's far too easy to be glass half empty about.... well just about everything these days!
Old 15 Jul 2019, 23:04 (Ref:3917951)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Good news! And good to hear people enjoying the spectacle. As I said before, it's far too easy to be glass half empty about.... well just about everything these days!
Most people need quite a top up to get to half empty.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3918047)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Okay well watch the race, look at the huge crowds, feel the excitement ..
The track has a beautiful flow, some very fast corners, iconic race track ..produces some super racing ..

That’s enough isn’t it to keep you happy ?