Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Dec 2002, 12:28 (Ref:445551)   #1
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
U.S. $ 500,000,000

is reported by the New York Times this morning to be the loss at Jaguar in fiscal 2002. The eye popping figure was buried in a lengthy article about the relationships between Ford Motor Company and their investment bankers, Goldman Sachs. $ 500 Mil. is a big number even for Ford, and it may explain why the F1 effort at Jaguar is coming under such pointed scrutiny lately in Dearborn.

Last edited by Maxmil; 8 Dec 2002 at 12:29.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 12:44 (Ref:445565)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW! When I heard that Eddie Irvine was being paid more than the Chairman of the Board at Ford, and nobody there knew who he was, that was certainly a big clue as to why things aren't working out.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 13:01 (Ref:445581)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This is astounding. So it might be that the Jaguar cut in expenditure is part of an overall policy in reducing costs for everyone and explains why Eddie was fired also.
BTW, Didn't Ford fire their CEO? that wasn't being paid more than Eddie?

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 8 Dec 2002 at 13:02.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 14:30 (Ref:445641)   #4
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Didn't Ford fire their CEO? that wasn't being paid more than Eddie?
Right. Jacques Nasser had the job until, I think, October of 2001 when he was sacked in the traditional Ford manner and William C. Ford, Jr. took over. If the loss was really that big, it certainly could have caused the Irvine firing as a cost cutting measure. I still think Lauda's was related to the Jordon/Cosworth deal which he tried to scuttle.

Last edited by Maxmil; 8 Dec 2002 at 14:31.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 14:40 (Ref:445648)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does Jaguar racing come under Jaguar Cars (seeing as they have nothing to do with each!)?

Jaguar Cars (the proper one in Coventry) have just introduced a new car - the Mondeo, sorry X-Type and been developing there new XJ range (all Al - lovely).

Anyway could be part of the reason? I haven't read the accounts though so I don't know.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 15:39 (Ref:445668)   #6
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I cant see Jag losing 500 million. They have a highly successful group of cars just now and are selling really well from what I have seen.

Fiat are losing 2m a day and that is catatrophic for a company their size.

500million, I would have thought is more likely to be the total F1 Jaguar budget since they bought Stewart GP out.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 21:51 (Ref:445815)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford lost over 1k dollars per car sold last year. I dont know how they stay afloat. How does one lose more money than the annual income of a small country?
Old 8 Dec 2002, 22:10 (Ref:445829)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They shoulda sold it to Red Bull when they had the chance
Old 9 Dec 2002, 00:54 (Ref:445980)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Ford lost over 1k dollars per car sold last year. I dont know how they stay afloat.
Was that just in America? I imagine that the British branch of Ford keeps the company afloat as the prices for new cars in Britian are astronomical!

Last edited by Mr V; 9 Dec 2002 at 00:54.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 05:13 (Ref:446067)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.forbes.com/home/2002/11/1...1114honda.html

An interesting article. Of-course being a Honda geek all these little tid-bits reinforce my obsession.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 08:22 (Ref:446135)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
They shoulda sold it to Red Bull when they had the chance
what the whole of Ford?

To be fair the F1 team is a very, very small part of this vast sum. (in fact I doubt it is even included as Jaguar Cars and Jaguar Racing are quite separate.).
Old 9 Dec 2002, 13:55 (Ref:446286)   #12
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
To be fair the F1 team is a very, very small part of this vast sum. (in fact I doubt it is even included as Jaguar Cars and Jaguar Racing are quite separate.).
There is just no way that I know of to verify the $500MM (Million) loss figure, but I did take a shot at it. What the published financials do show is that Ford reported Net Income for Automotive Operations in Europe of U.S.$266 MM in 2001. (Europe, was the only geographical area to show a profit in that year.) It is a stretch for me to believe that Jaguar cars or even cars plus the F1 team actually contributed a $500MM loss to that European profit in 2001 unless there were some very large one time write offs at Jaguar. None are disclosed, but there are other such items disclosed for 2001 which are as small as $13MM. It is possible that Jaguar showed such a loss in 2000 when Ford's European Automotive operations posted a one time loss of $1,019MM for "Asset impairment and restructuring costs in Europe", but I have not the time or initiative to go back and look for details of that figure.

In sum, there is no way of knowing how the Times reporter came up with the figure, but I am inclined to believe he got it wrong somehow, or else it reflects some one time charges back in 2000.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 14:11 (Ref:446301)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Keep in mind folks that one year does not make or break a company the size of Ford. Ford earned something like $1.2 Billion (American) not too long ago. A more important number (and one I do not have) is their performance over the last five years.

Jag does not support the racing operation alone, nor would it be expected to generate enough $$ to make the entire company profitable.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 14:14 (Ref:446305)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I agree with you. It is possible there could have been some one-offs. There have been some job cuts recently (in Jaguar Racing and Jaguar Cars Proper).

But I'm not sure. In a Jagaur magazine recently there was a similar story (although not for so much IIRC), I'll try and find it. However I seem to remember that it wasn't very informative!