Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Jul 2009, 22:11 (Ref:2501900)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bahrain... Off?

Interesting to read in AA today, buried a few pages in as it was, that the Bahrain round of the series may be postponed from this year, and put together as part of a double header opening round.. in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain!

The suggestion in the magazine is that Winton may be pressed into service to make up for the change

And that Clipsal wont be the opening race in 2010

I wonder how many teams have sold sponsorship on the back of the Bahrain visit... I mean Tasman sold Smorgon Steel on an annual venture to China, that stopped, and so did the backing

I notice there are still people selling travel plans for the Bahrain round... be nice to spend all that $$ and discover there is no round on at that time, and that the elcheapo tickets are not refundable
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Jul 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2501920)   #2
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The suggestion in the magazine is that Winton may be pressed into service to make up for the change
Well Winton has a history of getting VE$A out of trouble in the past and was able to organise a V8 round in 9 weeks a couple of years ago when the China round fell over.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 04:08 (Ref:2501973)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surprising AA would bury this in the middle of the magazine.

I would have thought (considering what they run on the cover) would be considered fairly big news ?
Old 15 Jul 2009, 05:31 (Ref:2501982)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was on P4.. and near the spine.

Perhaps it is not wholly accurate?
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2501983)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I would have thought (considering what they run on the cover) would be considered fairly big news ?
I'm not sure if you have heard the news, but some bloke called Mark Webber had a win, and for some reason they gave it a fair bit of space. If you have indeed been hiding under a rock, I'll also let you know that MICHAEL JACKSON IS DEAD!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:10 (Ref:2501986)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
I'm not sure if you have heard the news, but some bloke called Mark Webber had a win, and for some reason they gave it a fair bit of space. If you have indeed been hiding under a rock, I'll also let you know that MICHAEL JACKSON IS DEAD!
The bottom of the cover reads:

"PLUS: ALL THE LATEST V8SUPERCAR NEWS"

which could easily say "WINTON RETURNS?" couldnt it?

No wonder their ABC audited circulation is down around 11,000, down from almost 15,000 only a few years ago
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:14 (Ref:2501988)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which would people be more interested in nationwide? "V8 Supercar News" or "Winton News". Sex sells, and the editor/artist who typed that thought the generic angle would shift more units. Meh...
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:23 (Ref:2501994)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

My understanding that this was in last weeks AA, ie before Webber ?
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:31 (Ref:2502000)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Nope, unless of course I purchased a magical AA last week predicting the weekend's results.... spooky....
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:39 (Ref:2502003)   #10
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Nope, unless of course I purchased a magical AA last week predicting the weekend's results.... spooky....
In which case the wise thing to do would be to head to the nearest TAB....
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2502069)   #11
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"New Zealand’s sole round of the V8 Supercar Championship in Hamilton has been confirmed for 16-18 April next year - the 2010 Hamilton 400"

As claimed by the organisers, about the same time of year as this and last years........
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2502074)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
V8 officials hosed down this rumour according to enews

Come on GTR i know you read both, or have you been hanging with al gore and dont tell the whole truth

but they did not deny that there could be two middle eastern rounds to start next year, plus we will not be going to singapore in 2010
Old 15 Jul 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2502089)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Fogarty put his name to the story.. does it have substance??

11,000 readers will be the judge
Old 15 Jul 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2502277)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Oviously you did purchase a magical edition as this bahrain scenario was mentioned in last weeks AA. Confirmed by AA in the opening paragraph of this weeks addition.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2502993)   #15
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Mick is it true or are we just subject to the rumour mill again - or is it a case of "Watch this Space"....... But if Mr Fogarty reports it -well it must have some truth in it...

mmmm I've just confused myself.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2516072)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Interesting that This story seems to suggest that the Adelaideans are resigned to the 3rd round of the series
Old 6 Aug 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2516545)   #17
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Interesting that This story seems to suggest that the Adelaideans are resigned to the 3rd round of the series
The case is that I think that VESA wants an earlier start (late January or early Febuary) and since the Middle East is in winter and theortically having a cooler climate than Clipsal in the summer heat, they want to start in Bahrain or Abu Dhabi.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 06:19 (Ref:2516599)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The interesting note at the bottom of the release implies that no one really wanted to put their name to "ugly sister" of the Indy street race
Old 6 Aug 2009, 06:29 (Ref:2516602)   #19
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The talk in the pits at Sandown is that the middle eastern host's are not
keen on the V8's running aound their oil rich nation on E85. VESA is
trying to make a comprise with them, but this might not be sorted out
in time for the upcomming round.

Sound's fair enough to me.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2516700)   #20
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrut View Post
The talk in the pits at Sandown is that the middle eastern host's are not
keen on the V8's running aound their oil rich nation on E85. VESA is
trying to make a comprise with them, but this might not be sorted out
in time for the upcomming round.

Sound's fair enough to me.
Sounds like an easy enough thing to make an excuse for, hard to transport fuel OS, Bla Bla, E85 is in short supply in Aus Bla Bla, wouldn't take a brain surgeon to think up better stuff than me....not suggesting VESA is full of Brain surgeons though.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2516716)   #21
dirttrack
Racer

dirttrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find the cars have never run the series fuel while in Bahrain or China.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2516728)   #22
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttrack View Post
I think you will find the cars have never run the series fuel while in Bahrain or China.
Isn't this the first year that V8SC have run E85, made by CSR?
In previous years, Shell V Power (or so they say ) I would assume that there is Shell in Bahrain and China....
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2516733)   #23
dirttrack
Racer

dirttrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the first year of the E85 but in all past years at those overseas events it has allways been home brew not the series regular fuel.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2516735)   #24
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you realise how much it cost the teams in $'s & development time to convert to E85?

There's NO WAY they will run anything else (and then have to convert back to E85)!!!
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2516738)   #25
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you sure there isn't a liquor ban up there and there is a mad fear that the locals may drink 85% of a litre and get a bit chooked?

Petroleum smoleum....like 30-ish V8 Supercars are seriously going to add to the local economy significantly by drinking the local product for a few days.