Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Jun 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3092805)   #26
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It is clear the FPR cars are absolute jets, but their strategy and their nut behind the wheel arent as strong as those at 888...
Nice try, but rather simplistic.

Outright speed over one lap doesn't equal victory, just ask Lee Holdsworth who in the race had a faster lap time than all three FPR drivers.

Besides, if all three FPR drivers are as poor performing as you suggest, then that is a ringing endorsement for the ability of Ford Performance Racing overall as a team. Imagine how much superior than the rest of the field FPR would be if they had 'better' drivers!
Old 16 Jun 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3092836)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
Nice try, but rather simplistic.

Outright speed over one lap doesn't equal victory, just ask Lee Holdsworth who in the race had a faster lap time than all three FPR drivers.

Besides, if all three FPR drivers are as poor performing as you suggest, then that is a ringing endorsement for the ability of Ford Performance Racing overall as a team. Imagine how much superior than the rest of the field FPR would be if they had 'better' drivers!
Yes...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Jun 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3092938)   #28
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Is there a minimum number of laps the safety car has to do?

Russell waited until it was called yesterday and then started his car and went.
The safety car picked the field up at the end of that lap and could have returned the race to green after only that one lap on track.
Instead it went another lap which allowed Lowndes to catch up to the rear of the field after his pitstop.
If they had gone back to green straight away he would have had half a lap to catch up.

I might have been wrong but I thought I could hear Roland on the phone from where I was in turn 5
Don't think that Russell waited till it was called - there was incar footage of him trying to start it prior to that.

The SC very rarely comes in after literally just one lap as there my be debris to clear etc and it also allows for the field to be bunched up & controlled behind it, which of course is one of the reasons for its existence.

From memory, there was an instance years ago (at Canberra I think) where the SC was pulled back in after one lap only and a whole bunch of cars hadn't caught it but made up a lot of ground while others were stooging along behind the SC. After that, it was agreed that the SC would stay out at least long enough to bring the field under control but in all honesty that is more a sporting issue.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3092946)   #29
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
am i right in saying for the second and possibly 3rd time this year channel 7 got the series points wrong after the race?
Channel 7 take a feed direct from Natsoft and as it appears that Natsoft had some kind of problem after the race, that's most likely the reason why the wrong points went up.

Having said that, you'd think that it wouldn't be all that hard for someone at 7 (or V8TV more correctly) to spot there was a problem and not put the graphic up.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 02:40 (Ref:3093042)   #30
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I thought that tyre pressures may have been the difference between T8 and FPR........T8 may have had lower pressures that came up to optimum on the hot track as the race progressed whereas FPR may have had higher pressures that were ideal early in the race but over-inflated due to the heat later, thus the speed differential towards the end........just a thought.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 04:01 (Ref:3093124)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Q13

Nice work from Mr Premat... wonder how SBR dialled the speed out of their cars
Old 17 Jun 2012, 07:45 (Ref:3093244)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
R13

Series Points

Nice effort by Mr Lowndes, absolutely caned those soft tyres for fastest lap, and ultimately the win!

Wonder who will pilot #51 at Townsville...
Old 17 Jun 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3093252)   #33
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did 'Riccardo Patrese' get pinged for turning Mr Lowndes around today?

Matters arising from Qualifying for Race 12:

Following an investigation and an admission by Michael Patrizi Car #91 that he had driven in a careless manner, contact on Car #888 Craig Lowndes, the Stewards imposed the penalty of the loss of 37 Championship Points.

http://www.camsstewards.com.au/
Old 17 Jun 2012, 08:02 (Ref:3093259)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post

Following an investigation and an admission by Michael Patrizi Car #91 that he had driven in a careless manner, contact on Car #888 Craig Lowndes, the Stewards imposed the penalty of the loss of 37 Championship Points.

Errrr... 37 points? Is that like a penalty-and-a-half?

Mr Patrizi seems to be in the thick of some bump and runs... not all seem to be penalised..
Old 17 Jun 2012, 08:33 (Ref:3093291)   #35
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Wonder who will pilot #51 at Townsville...
Maybe someone who can bring it back in relatively pristine condition.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3093293)   #36
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post

Even after watching a replay of the
incident today, i think he was hard done
by.
I thought Winterbottoms move over to the
left on Caruso when coming out of the
pits was unnecessary ?
Great drive by Caruso and DJR where are
you ?
Will found out today that having a
teammate battling against him for the
championship may hinder either/both of
them before the years out with FPR's
double stacking today.

Last edited by Reload; 17 Jun 2012 at 08:42.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3093519)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Will found out today that having a
teammate battling against him for the
championship may hinder either/both of
them before the years out with FPR's
double stacking today.
its interesting that 1st 2nd and 4th didnt pit at that time.

I think FPR made an error in bringing both cars in, Would have been better to have a bet each way and get them off the same sequence
Old 18 Jun 2012, 03:20 (Ref:3093907)   #38
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Really enjoyed the races- mostly clean, hard and professional driving.

And to watch fpr have the top 3 grid spots twice in a weekend and still
not get a win........pure gold.

The "thanks for making up the numbers" award goes to djr.
Jim Beam is not getting value for money there........

What ever they're paying, it's too much.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 05:44 (Ref:3093931)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
its interesting that 1st 2nd and 4th didnt pit at that time.

I think FPR made an error in bringing both cars in, Would have been better to have a bet each way and get them off the same sequence
As a counter to that, 888 left both cars out, on a similar strategy, and took home a 1-2...

There is no question the FPR trio is quick over a single lap... but the strategy guys are relying on some maths with holes in it... and/or their pilots push their green tyres too hard too early so their choices are compromised.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3093965)   #40
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As a counter to that, 888 left both cars out, on a similar strategy, and took home a 1-2...

There is no question the FPR trio is quick over a single lap... but the strategy guys are relying on some maths with holes in it... and/or their pilots push their green tyres too hard too early so their choices are compromised.
Pushing the greens too early didn't seem
to bother CL ?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3094038)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Pushing the greens too early didn't seem
to bother CL ?
It certainly compromised Mr Reynolds' Saturday adventures... a lap in the '10's then nothing...
Old 22 Jun 2012, 02:57 (Ref:3096203)   #42
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so after watching the telecast of Darwin, something has stuck in my head. What was the difference between David Russell Vs Jason Bright at the last corner in Race 2, resulting in Russell in the wall, and Mark Skaife Vs Russell Ingall at Eastern Creek all those years ago resulting in Skaife in the wall, especially considering the comments made by our Commish on the tele in Darwin that it was all David Russell's fault?
Old 22 Jun 2012, 10:43 (Ref:3096345)   #43
motofan
Racer

motofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
conclusion is the guys a uselessly biased commentator that shouldn't be in the job
Old 29 Jun 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3099685)   #44
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
so after watching the telecast of Darwin, something has stuck in my head. What was the difference between David Russell Vs Jason Bright at the last corner in Race 2, resulting in Russell in the wall, and Mark Skaife Vs Russell Ingall at Eastern Creek all those years ago resulting in Skaife in the wall, especially considering the comments made by our Commish on the tele in Darwin that it was all David Russell's fault?
VERY big difference, Rusty clearly turned the car into Skaife, where Russell was driving directly into Brighty who was already at the edge of the track, and although we had no incar footage, I reckon Brighty's front wheels were straight!
Old 29 Jun 2012, 01:37 (Ref:3099691)   #45
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
VERY big difference, Rusty clearly turned the car into Skaife, where Russell was driving directly into Brighty who was already at the edge of the track, and although we had no incar footage, I reckon Brighty's front wheels were straight!
oh please mixer

the only difference was that now you have to leave racing room, you cant just force people off the track like skaife did
Old 29 Jun 2012, 02:13 (Ref:3099695)   #46
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blah blah blah, Russell drove like a moron for that whole maneuver and I hope he never gets another run in the main game after that little effort.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 04:37 (Ref:3099706)   #47
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I reckon Brighty's front wheels were straight!
LOL as were Ingall's here at 3.28 in a nice slow-mo for you, until he ran out of ripple strip and tried to get back on the track. I love one eyed holden fans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0fE6UoQNo
Old 29 Jun 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3099943)   #48
b195
Rookie

b195 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What left me confused about the comments re: the incident at the start of the pit straight at Hidden Valley was that at Phillip Island, they reckoned it was fine when Tander ran Whincup into the grass, Crompton describing a driver's thoughts in that kind of situation as being "slide gently out onto the racing line. Oh sorry, I didn't know you were there", yet at Hidden Valley they described Russell's move as "an ordinary move" ie. he got what he deserved.

Both times the car on the inside was about half a car length ahead of a car on its outside. Both times the car on the inside drove out so wide that the car on the outside's line was now being crowded or taken by the car on the inside. The only major difference was which car was making the pass in each case, but is that a good enough reason to have a completely different opinion on whether room should be given or not (especially as, in the case of Whincup, he had run through Siberia almost side-by-side with Tander, it wasn't like he made a surprise run on the exit and just got to his bumper)

(I agree that Russell should not have left Bright with nowhere to go but off the track or across the front of his car, the problem is how does that tally up with Phillip Island...)

(This sort of situation gets trickier when a fast corner is involved, though if you get far alongside early enough, it shouldn't give the right to the 'leading' guy to run you off the road, nor necessarily for you to spin the other guy off if you're not that far alongside - anyway, in this case, and in most of these cases, it's a slow/slower corner that was involved)

Last edited by b195; 29 Jun 2012 at 18:39.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 01:19 (Ref:3100072)   #49
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b195 View Post
What left me confused about the comments re: the incident at the start of the pit straight at Hidden Valley was that at Phillip Island, they reckoned it was fine when Tander ran Whincup into the grass, Crompton describing a driver's thoughts in that kind of situation as being "slide gently out onto the racing line. Oh sorry, I didn't know you were there", yet at Hidden Valley they described Russell's move as "an ordinary move" ie. he got what he deserved.
Neil Crompton isn't really an expert.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 02:09 (Ref:3100078)   #50
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
well he is an expert, but he , along with his co-host, have often shown the pro HRT googles when the time is right