Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Sep 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3927523)   #4826
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Under the weird but not wonderful category!

Was behind a new Mini Clubman estate the other day, and came to the conclusion that the newish ruddy great light clusters on the rear facing doors was just plain ugly. But worse was to come.

When the driver applied the brakes, it transpires that the clusters don't contain the brake lights which are small stand-alone lights embedded in the rear bumper. So, instead of having the lights at a decent height to view from behind, they are fairly low.

A case of a (lack of) style over substance!
I owned one of the previous version Clubmans - the one with the daft rear opening door on the offside - I absolutely loved it! Great little car and ideal for my needs at the time. Traded it in for a Jag XF when I foolishly decided I wanted something bigger and regretted it from day one - no accounting for (my) taste I suppose.

Not sure about the current version though I must admit.
Old 12 Sep 2019, 07:29 (Ref:3927525)   #4827
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I owned one of the previous version Clubmans - the one with the daft rear opening door on the offside - I absolutely loved it! Great little car and ideal for my needs at the time. Traded it in for a Jag XF when I foolishly decided I wanted something bigger and regretted it from day one - no accounting for (my) taste I suppose.

Agree, the previous model was a good size. I always wanted a Cooper S Van version!
Old 12 Sep 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3927530)   #4828
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We had a Mini Countryman that was Cooper S-ised back on the 70s. It had an MG1300 engine in, with the twin carbs, smaller bearings and closer gear ratios. In fact I learned to drive in it, at a disused airfield not far from us. I was about 11 years old I suppose.

Happy days

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Sep 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3927531)   #4829
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Anyone else watch the Channel 5 doc about the Dreadnoughts.Fascinating. Can't imagine what it would've been like at Jutland and other battles. Wish the original images could be made to colour like what Peter Jackson did with the WW1 Programme.

For me being young you find it hard to imagine it happened with the amount of change thats happened since. Quite sad in a way but also good aswell.

Anyway enough of me for one day. Time to worry more about college.
I watched it. Good stuff. Interesting comment from the US engineer on board USS Texas about the vast majority of sailors of that time would not have had electricity at home, and yet were operating one of the most technologically advanced machines know to man at that time. Must have been awe inspiring.

I have been to Scapa Flow, and colleagues of mine dived on the wreck of HMS Royal Oak, a WW2 casualty courtesy of some exceptional navigation and seamanship from the German U-Boat commander, Gunther Prien.

One thing the tv programme did not mention is that the German wrecks are one of the only sources of virtually radiation free steel in the world, and still used in a variety of medical and scientific instruments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel
Old 12 Sep 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3927532)   #4830
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

The current clubman must be pretty close to the size of an XF.

Will BMW ever introduce a Mini Mini and head back to something closer to the original concept even if only intended as a battery powered city car?

ETA.

Via Google.

Jag XF length: 4,954 to 4,955 mm

Mini Clubman Length: 4,253 to 4,266 mm

So about 15% difference depending on which way one does the comparison calculation.

Last edited by grantp; 12 Sep 2019 at 10:23.
Old 12 Sep 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3927533)   #4831
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There was talk of the current Clubperson being used in BTCC, but bizarrely it’s too short!

Just had my truck med. Think the doc set a new record- 10 mins. Took as long for him to fill the declaration in and for me to pay.....
Old 12 Sep 2019, 10:42 (Ref:3927534)   #4832
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There was talk of the current Clubperson being used in BTCC, but bizarrely it’s too short!

Just had my truck med. Think the doc set a new record- 10 mins. Took as long for him to fill the declaration in and for me to pay.....
The last version of the modern Clubman is being used in CSCC turbo tin tops. Goes well; more stable than standard version.
Old 12 Sep 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3927541)   #4833
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The last version of the modern Clubman is being used in CSCC turbo tin tops. Goes well; more stable than standard version.
History repeating itself! The Pug 309 was a better rally car than the 205 in some areas. Primarily it had improved stability from the longer wheelbase......
Old 12 Sep 2019, 12:08 (Ref:3927546)   #4834
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
History repeating itself! The Pug 309 was a better rally car than the 205 in some areas. Primarily it had improved stability from the longer wheelbase......
And i much preferred my 309gti to my wifes 205gti.
Old 12 Sep 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3927548)   #4835
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
And i much preferred my 309gti to my wifes 205gti.
As Gerard has quite rightly pointed out in the past, the 309 had a pretty rubbish dashboard, but they drove well. I had one with power steering, which I think was standard? (And it was a quicker rack, so adopted on the GpA 205 rally cars. )
Old 12 Sep 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3927599)   #4836
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, sure the 309 16V version makes a very acceptable Young Timer. I remember the PAS was standard because I could use mine with no issue having a broken arm… The best we had here was a special supercharged version used during Peugeot Sport one make meetings (Trophée 309). They were capable of speeds exceeding 265 kph, around 165 mph, in the Hunaudières straight. Convenient…
Old 14 Sep 2019, 04:54 (Ref:3927841)   #4837
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’ve noticed recently that the term ‘Open water swimming’, which was easy to understand, has been replaced by ‘Wild swimming’. So does that mean that if you take your aquatic exercise in pools that you are ‘Tame swimming’?

Old 14 Sep 2019, 06:42 (Ref:3927849)   #4838
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Meeting up with two “tenths legends “.this morning . Uncle Eric and Allen Wyman .
Old 14 Sep 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3927892)   #4839
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Or even Al Weyman......
Old 14 Sep 2019, 12:38 (Ref:3927899)   #4840
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I made my first visit of the year to England on Thursday, so of course the M26 was closed and the Swanley interchange was gridlocked, but that's another story...

Anyway, I stopped at Clackett Lane Services & whilst walking across the car park I heard the unmistakable sounds of a Merlin. As luck would have it there was a break in the cloud directly overhead and a Spitfire emerged, flying wingtip-to-wingtip with a modern light plane, presumably filming or something.

At that point, an elderly lady nearby turned to her husband and said: "Cor, that thing sound a bit ropey, don't it?

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, she looked old enough to have heard them in action!
Old 14 Sep 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3927958)   #4841
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Or even Al Weyman......
Do behave . Anyway what about that football result . Well done Canaries
Old 14 Sep 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3927959)   #4842
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Do behave . Anyway what about that football result . Well done Canaries

I thought we’d get stuffed so ignored the match. Will have to watch MOTD now......
Old 14 Sep 2019, 21:32 (Ref:3927982)   #4843
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone looking for a new base in the Midlands?

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/medi...usuem%20DP.pdf
Old 14 Sep 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3927983)   #4844
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't get the link to work Grant.

Old 14 Sep 2019, 22:08 (Ref:3927985)   #4845
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s something about the old Donington museum being open to let. Wonder who will take it up?
Old 14 Sep 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3927994)   #4846
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Can't get the link to work Grant.

Possibly because this particular link is direct to a PDF file Max? PDFs can be tricky linked on phones through other apps?

The original link I copied from the web site just provided a set of search links for some reason so I went for the direct link to the info document.

Plan B just open the Donington web site and the ever changing banner photos should pop up a linked article at some point.
Old 15 Sep 2019, 05:45 (Ref:3928036)   #4847
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Anyone looking for a new base in the Midlands?

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/medi...usuem%20DP.pdf
Would be a good place for an “Ace Cafe” / https://caffeineandmachine.com/ type business, with a few exhibits, too.

Additional space for working historic car workshop/ business (Simon Hatfield?!?)
Old 15 Sep 2019, 06:02 (Ref:3928037)   #4848
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes indeed.
Old 15 Sep 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3928038)   #4849
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It would make a great place for a high performance/prestige car sales place. There are workshops & further storage below the museum, but I didn't see those mentioned.
Old 15 Sep 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3928046)   #4850
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I'd say hat off to you great idea, Andy, S Hadfield should consider this opportunity.