Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2002, 11:34 (Ref:279346)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1-ring weather

Here is a link to yahoo, long range weather for Austrian GP

Could rain, esp likely on Friday and Sunday.

Williams (esp Montoya) don't seem to go so well if they lose track time on Friday.

Michelins still way behind on wet tyres.

Wet weather tends to favour the better drivers - "you-know-who".

Oh dear.
Old 7 May 2002, 11:38 (Ref:279348)   #2
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glen, is this another one of your "expert" pre race predictions????
i bet if the weather was hot you'd still choose MS!!!!
Old 7 May 2002, 12:21 (Ref:279381)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not choosing anyone, but only a madman would bet against the current number 1 car/driver combo - especially in the wet.

You need to understand the difference between thinking who is most likely to win and thinking who one would want to win.

I stick by my earlier prediction that Williams will not be competitive until Canada - the A1-Rring places a big importance on engine power, but it also features some longer corners which the Ferrari likes, and there is the likelihood of cooler weather and possibly rain.

Heidfeld might be a good bet for a podium, even HHF - Bridgestone should do well anyway.
Old 7 May 2002, 12:26 (Ref:279387)   #4
calais
Veteran

i think your right about what would happen if it rains, glen.
the michelins are pretty poor in the wet
Old 7 May 2002, 13:03 (Ref:279424)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ditto.

TGF master rain racing, RB follows close behind.

Michelin s**** in the Rain.

Ralfie doesn't like getting wet. Don't know about JPM, Kimi,Button, Heidfeld and Massa.

David does it good, when it rains.
Old 7 May 2002, 13:07 (Ref:279429)   #6
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yaaaaaay! Rain!
Old 7 May 2002, 13:20 (Ref:279438)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go Heidfeld!

Sorry, but any mention of Heidfeld and I have to say that
Old 7 May 2002, 13:23 (Ref:279442)   #8
Glen
Veteran

It will be interesting to see if Massa's "exciting" style works in the wet...
Old 7 May 2002, 15:16 (Ref:279503)   #9
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it does rain, the better the chance of mark webber's second points for the season - YAY!

im gonna start doing a rain dance - who's gonna join me

GO MARK WEBBER!!!!!!!!!!!!
AUSS1E, AUSS1E, AUSS1E! O1! O1! O1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8 May 2002, 10:28 (Ref:280106)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
I stick by my earlier prediction that Williams will not be competitive until Canada - the A1-Rring places a big importance on engine power, but it also features some longer corners which the Ferrari likes.
The A1-ring has quite a few corners, but they are all quite low speed. Certainly not like the long corners at Barcelona, where the Ferrari could excert all it's advantage.

In this respect Imola is less to the Ferrari's liking than Barcelona, but we still saw a dominant win for Ferrari. Perhaps "less to the Ferrari's liking" isn't the thing to say - less to this particular aspect of Ferrari's overall dominance!

However the A1-ring is a stop-start type circuit (more so than Imola?) so does play slightly to the Williams' strengths. They were good there last year (when the tyres were good).

Overall I see a Ferrari win, but it won't be as easy as it was in Spain.

If it rains. It's all over. It's Michael's race. He, his tyres and the rest of his car are just too good in those conditions.
Old 8 May 2002, 10:34 (Ref:280109)   #11
Glen
Veteran

The latest weather reports are mixed (well, it's in the mountains, anything could happen) and track temps have been in the high 20s. If it stays that way Williams could be back on.

Here's hoping for a closer, more exciting race. All down to Michelin really.
Old 8 May 2002, 10:40 (Ref:280115)   #12
calais
Veteran

glen, i think you are placing too much emphasis on the weather to determine the races outcome.
it is important, but there are other more important variables as well
Old 8 May 2002, 10:54 (Ref:280132)   #13
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I remember,there has never been a rainy day at the Austrian GP....hope the prediction is wrong!
Old 8 May 2002, 11:08 (Ref:280148)   #14
Glen
Veteran

Calais

Michelin vs Bridgestone wet/inter time difference is in the region of one and half to two secs per lap - I can't think of a more important variable.

Even generally speaking tyres are the single biggest factor.
Old 9 May 2002, 10:34 (Ref:280839)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
as i understand it.....friday and saturday will be showery in the morning only, so hopefully a dry qualifying session! and sunday will be partly cloudly, with a high of 73 deg F or 23 deg C, track tempreture is usually about 10 deg C higher than air tempreture, so hopefully it won't be too bad for the michelin runners!
Old 9 May 2002, 18:19 (Ref:281173)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If I remember there has been rain at the A1 Ring, for the 98' Qualifying, which was by far the most exciting session I have ever seen.
Old 9 May 2002, 18:45 (Ref:281198)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is that the one where Fisi put it on pole? I think I was at the Silverstone historic Festival that weekend (did Austria GP used to be later in the year?).

In which case the rain was at a differnt time of year. Has it always been sunny when the race was in April/May?
Old 10 May 2002, 08:42 (Ref:281586)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glen

Are you planning on becoming a meteorologist? Because you have a great fascination with weather!

Thanks for all the weather info. though *thumbs up*
Old 10 May 2002, 19:17 (Ref:282116)   #19
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it possible to rig the F1 calender so that all the GP's are under 30*C, with the threat of rain, thus helping the Bridgestones - we havent had so many hot races this year..... Sorry Just making some fun.
Old 10 May 2002, 22:49 (Ref:282255)   #20
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its appalling to note how the Michelin teams pray for it NOT to rain because of their lousy rain tyres. I was under the impression that the Michelin wets were significantly better this season - God knows how much testing they've done already - but we found out in Australia that the tyres were still pretty lousy.

Thats a shame cos I love wet races - but Im also hoping for a dry race this Sunday. Anything to make sure Michael doesent win again.

Last edited by Mania; 10 May 2002 at 22:50.
Old 11 May 2002, 03:51 (Ref:282338)   #21
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Don't know about JPM
Malasya 2001 was the last wet GP I remember, and JPM acquaplanned, but there were others that did aswell. I remember his F3000 season, and he was great on rain..., actually, I think Frank Williams saw it once, and inmediately signed him...