Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:18 (Ref:706122)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Licensing a Hillclimb Venue for Karts?

There seems to be some interest in possibly Hillclimbing Karts, mmmm could we? and I was wondering what is needed for a venue to obtain a Kart License?

As a marshal, I would love to watch Karts take on the hills and so look forward to possibly making it happen.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:39 (Ref:706152)   #2
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
my oh my, i hope this happens, it would be great and i wouldn't hold back to entering
Old 3 Sep 2003, 18:44 (Ref:707276)   #3
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I attend Hillclimb events around the country and it is actually possible to Hillclimb karts. However there is one draw back...it is only possible in Jersey and Guernsey where they use public roads for the course.

There has been much talk among the paddock about letting karts enter on the mainland however it has never been allowed.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 16:21 (Ref:712025)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres the reply I got from Gurston:
Dear Steve,

Concerning your enquiry we very much regret that we cannot incorporate karts or classes for them at Hillclimbs as all Hillclimb vehicles have to have a minimum wheel base of 6 feet.

There was some aggro many years ago when karts where still running and this is the result at all Hillclimbs, not just Gurston. I believe they still run in the Channel Islands!

Sorry we can't help

Jane Harratt, Competition Secretary
Old 8 Sep 2003, 16:31 (Ref:712039)   #5
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
exactly what I said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The karts do some respectable times at Jersey and Guernsey compared to the cars....the kart record at Guernsey is around 30.5secs whilst the racing car record is 29.75!!!!!!!!!

In 1994 a kart achieved BTD!
Old 8 Sep 2003, 16:37 (Ref:712052)   #6
Superliner II
Rookie

Superliner II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read 'aggro' means: our members were ****ed off that the little karts beat the living daylights out of their cars so we banned them.

The same thing happened in Ireland years ago when some 250's took the three fastest times at a hillclimb in County Wicklow. The first prize was given to the fourth placed F3 car! The Karts were never invited back lol.

Looks like the Channel Islands it is then. Did you find any web address for the clubs there Ghinzani? Also any tech regs?

I would bet some money that a 250cc gearbox would be faster than the current hillclimb champions Gould 4 litre V8 up a few hills.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 20:28 (Ref:712304)   #7
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dear Steve,

Concerning your enquiry we very much regret that we cannot incorporate karts or classes for them at Hillclimbs as all Hillclimb vehicles have to have a minimum wheel base of 6 feet.

There was some aggro many years ago when karts where still running and this is the result at all Hillclimbs, not just Gurston. I believe they still run in the Channel Islands!

Sorry we can't help

Jane Harratt, Competition Secretary
It's a shame people are so small minded, however it's encouraging that other officials have been more positive. Do you fancy emailing her and finding out if they would be prepared to hire out the venue providing we (an organisation we set up) footed the bill for getting it approved for karts and organised meetings? It might be hard to get enough people to run a standalone meeting at first but it's worth investigating
Old 8 Sep 2003, 20:57 (Ref:712330)   #8
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what bout sprints..
Old 8 Sep 2003, 21:01 (Ref:712335)   #9
superbird
Racer

Would still be run by car people to cry like pussies Sorry I'm disillousioned right now
Old 8 Sep 2003, 22:38 (Ref:712447)   #10
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karts on a Hillclimb?

some of your queries are answered here.

Please don't label all us Car people together!!!

Some of us truly believe that less is more !!!!! (bodywork, suspension, cages, size etc!!)

Some of us would welcome you into the Hillclimb scene!!!

Old 8 Sep 2003, 22:43 (Ref:712449)   #11
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at superbirds comments then is it any wonder that there seems to be a divide between car and kart marshals...........
I have marshaled karts on more than one occasion and enjoyed them immensley............I just believe they are safer on a proper track............as are bikes
Old 8 Sep 2003, 23:07 (Ref:712474)   #12
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by blackx
Looking at superbirds comments then is it any wonder that there seems to be a divide between car and kart marshals...........

NO OFFENCE MEANT TO ANYONE BUT..........

Please don't go down this road!!!!

Next thing we know we'll have the Dragsters telling us that they are the fastest and then we'll argue about cornering!

Let's just face it, if it has an engine that powers wheels and we race it, then we are involved in Motorsport!!! There is no point in arguing which form is better/ faster/ safer/ more exciting etc. We are all here for the same reason, a love of Motorsport. There are enough do-gooders trying to shut-us-down that the last thing we need is in-fighting.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:03 (Ref:713110)   #13
superbird
Racer

Quote:
I'm not any kind of marshal apart from a few times helping clubs out. You have got to admit though that most of the b!tching comes from the car sector towards karts. The "powered rollerskate" type **** is common. One thing that amazes me is that while non-motorsport people seem to accept karting as a secondary motorsport like touring cars etc, motorsport people often seem to have had a frontal lobotomy over it!Can you blame me for being disillusioned?
Old 9 Sep 2003, 19:22 (Ref:713497)   #14
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I give in...............
Old 9 Sep 2003, 22:56 (Ref:713639)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I've marshalled karts on long circuits on occasions, and they are FANTASTIC racing. I don't look down on them in any way, or on those for whom they are their marshalling speciality.

Where I am different, and this goes for bikes as well, is I am simply not comfortable with the level of safety they provide. I accept that as a marshal I may (and have) deal with some unpleasant accidents, but I prefer them to be the exception rather than commonplace. Others set their sights differetly, and that's fine by me. I hold the same opinion of old racing cars, and anyone who saw the pictures in Autosport of the historic going over the bank will understand. If a Kart does something similar, I would prefer not to be the one that clears up. Others will see it differently, and that is their choice to make. It doesn't make them a better or worse person, marshal or competitor. I have never heard any comment that contradicts that last statement, and would not hesitate to correct it if I did.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 20:34 (Ref:716923)   #16
superbird
Racer

Blackx, do you disagree that we get a lot of abuse and general disrespect that most of us (apart from me) don't really give back? You may not be one of those that dishes it out but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and after 10 years I've really had enough. Or are you just dismissing me because I don't have time to be a regular marshal?

Woolley, I posted a response to you in the thread in the Marshals forum. Any comments? To be honest, karting is very safe. Lots (possibly most, but I only go to 3 or so regularly) of circuits don't have the ambulances leave the circuit from one years end to the next. And if most hillclimbs have as good safety standards as kart tracks then I really think the problem is perception rather than reality.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 21:47 (Ref:716970)   #17
superbird
Racer

Quote:
Lots (possibly most, but I only go to 3 or so regularly) of circuits don't have the ambulances leave the circuit from one years end to the next
It's been pointed out that the above sentance was ambiguous, I meant that the ambulance doesn't have to take drivers to hospital from one year to the next
Old 12 Sep 2003, 21:59 (Ref:716976)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, it's getting a bit confusing following two posts. Could they be merged, or shall we just stick to this one?

The bikes we have at Shelsley are ususally road, trials or historic, so not that fast compared with race bikes or karts. Despite this, most of the recent injury accidents we've had have been bikes or sidecars because, put simply, if they get it even a little bit wrong they hit something hard.

From what I've seen of karts, they're going to be a fair bit quicker than the bikes we get. The protection where it exists is Recticel right at the edge of the track at the first quick bend, and head on at the 90left at the end of a very quick straight. Apart from that it's solid banks, and not even vertical. I doubt the deformable structures will be of much use because the nature of the track is likely to throw you off before they have much chance to work. Take a look at the pictures here http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/picoftheweek.html to see what I mean.

having said all that, if you can visit us, I'd be quite happy to discuss it with you. We're on this week-end, and Prescott is on 28th if you're free. I must point out I doubt have any authority to make a difference, but it would be interesting to see how the ground lies.

Best wishes,

Chris
Old 12 Sep 2003, 23:01 (Ref:717005)   #19
superbird
Racer

I'd love to come and have a chat, but it looks like I'm mechanicking in Ireland on the 28th, and my partner is over there already so I've got no transport.

I'm confused with the two threads too, but the marshals one is longer so we should probably go there. (anyone interested in discussing kart hillclimbing go here http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=43153 )