Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Mar 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2664042)   #501
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I must admit that I'd never given a thought to the fact that the Wheatcroft Family may not have the money to fund the circuit repairs.
In the past (well, years ago) there never seemed to have been a problem, but maybe they're not doing a lot of building nowadays and the circuit had been their major source of income.
Whatever happens, I do hope the circuit is revived, but this will be a lengthy process.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2664063)   #502
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AndyS sums the situation for the landlord up in an excellent post. I am personally aware of the fact that banks are currently simply saying "No" to speculative housing development and commercial rents are going down not up, that is a whole different problem for us all and must also be true for KW

Tom's estate will take some time to sort out but he had been ill for some time and probably was pretty well set up where the family inhertance was concerned.

It is just too good a facility to be left to crumble and we must be patient and continue to show positive support, I am sure he or his connections read 10/10ths after the way the rally was promoted.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2664075)   #503
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
In the past (well, years ago) there never seemed to have been a problem, but maybe they're not doing a lot of building nowadays and the circuit had been their major source of income.
Thats my assessment (educated guess)

One rumour I have heard locally is that DHL (or the airport or both together) have made the Wheatcrofts a very substanial offer for the land but it has been turned down for the moment in the hope that a motorsport developer will come up trumps. I have resisted posting this info on here for a while but how long will the Wheatcrofts wait for?

I am not sure if I believe the rumour as, operationally, a depot at DP would not be of much sense when DHL already has a depot on the airport site that allows the diect delivery of parcels, sorting and loading directly on to aircraft but you never know.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2664112)   #504
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When a big chunk of land like this comes up there will always be speculative interest for the freehold. It depends on whether the Wheatcroft's are looking to maximise their earnings or want motorsport on the site. If they want to maximise their earning's then selling the site would probably be the way to go. By the time they've incentivised a new leaseholder it would be at least a couple of years before the rent earned came up to the level of a sale price, probably longer with the type of deal they are likely to have to do. The freehold would be worth more once the market recovers, but if they are clever they would build in claw backs should anybody develop the site and make a fortune out of it. Their intention would seem to be to protect the venue, therefore I guess the negotiations are bogged down in legals and sorting out the finer points of any incentives, stepped rents, rent review patterns, gaurantees and bonds. I deal with this kind of thing on a smaller scale day in day out and it can be painful sometimes!
Old 31 Mar 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2664114)   #505
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Save Donington campaign was never going to achieve anything other than some additional income for the Wheatcroft & Son Ltd. No serious motorsport operator was going to enter into a multi million pound long term deal on the basis of car enthusiasts turning out on a Sunday afternoon to an autojumble. Some of us mentioned this at the time and were accused of being negative!

Funding will be a huge issue, to get to a decent state the Circuit needs a lot of investment over and above the immediate reconstruction work. The Paddock buildings are well past their useful lifespan and the pit lane is really problematic for international level car racing. A tenant doesn't get the long term benefit of that sort of investement so why would they want to put millions of pounds into the infrastructure of the premises? They will only do it if the rent is low enough and from what I hear that isn't the deal that the Landlord wants to do.

I would suggest that the comments in January and February indicated that the LL had a tenant "on the hook" but the comments in March lead me to think that the deal fell away.

I don't think they are "dotting i's and crossing t's" as is suggested. A deal will be done in principal to produce Heads of Terms, the lawyers will then work on the paperwork. I suspect if they were at HoT stage we would know about it.

Unfortunately I think it's too late for anyone to get the place up and running for this year and that will effect anyone's enthusiasm for doing a deal now.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2664119)   #506
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my experience, I think it unlikely they would say much until a deal was actually done. Telling people at Heads of Terms stage can leave you with a lot of egg on your face if it doesn't happen. You can sometimes end up issuing multiple heads of terms before a deal is actually done. Heads is often only a basic agreement, a lot can come up afterwards. From what I am seeing on here it sounds like there are parties there but it's the finer points of the agreement that are holding things up. As they say the devil's in the detail and this can quite often be the death of a deal. I think you're right in saying we're unlikely to see anything racing this year. The focus has to be on next year really.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2664418)   #507
kimbo
Rookie

England
West Sussex
kimbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I must admit that I'd never given a thought to the fact that the Wheatcroft Family may not have the money to fund the circuit repairs.
Whatever happens, I do hope the circuit is revived, but this will be a lengthy process.
I refer to my post of 3rd March
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
Being reported in Classic & Sportscar that parts of the Grand Prix collection have / are being sold off. Not sure what if any relevance this has to the circuit, but even so, not good.

Kim.
Co-incidence?
Lets hope so.
Forgive me if I don't hold my breath whilst waiting for the circuit to re-open!

Kim.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2664488)   #508
Delenn
Rookie

England
Delenn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have another suggestion for you.

My step-brother works for an architect. He has just been involved in a massive marina complex design. The marina is over 95% pre-let, and yet, the builders still cannot borrow the money to build it. Yes folks, the banks are not lending to sure fire bets, so would they lend to a motor racing venue operator, even an established one?

There are loads of potential reasons for this not happening yet. Everyone cross everything!
Old 1 Apr 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2664707)   #509
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I would be surprised if the Wheatcrofts lacked money, but not surprised if they lack cash... Everything may be tied up in long term investments and income generators, so not available for a quick grab...
Plus it may have to wait for Tom's estate to be settled before they can legally access any of it...
Old 1 Apr 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2664849)   #510
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think with regards to a new lease holder announcement,, we will just have to wait,,and wait,,and wait.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2666155)   #511
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
money

I have heard that Tom Wheatcroft ordered several pre war Mercedes GP W125 replicas from Crosswathe & Gardiner before his death for what must have been a great deal of money. He actually mentions that in his autobiography.
The original ideas must have been to sell some of them.
The story goes that none has been sold yet, which means money must be generated to pay the bills coming in from C&G.
This is supposed to be one of reasons behind selling off the collection.

Sounds convincing to me.

R.E.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 08:50 (Ref:2668687)   #512
privateer
Rookie

privateer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad Realy!! Donnington

You have to watch the advert first!!

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1119137831?bctid=71000393001
Old 8 Apr 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2668715)   #513
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never realised how bad the circuit looked just shocking to see the state of the place.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2668863)   #514
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
It looks awful, yes. But i fail see how with the right investment, that it could'nt be up and running again within at least a month.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2668882)   #515
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Apart from the bits that are dug up and the ****up by where the new tunnel is it doesn't look too bad. Yes the infield has been butchered but hopefully we don't drive that so get a few bags of grass seed and a tractor that could be sorted in a day or two. It just needs time on the track.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2669159)   #516
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The infield isn't that much worse than it was after Gillett created the 2 event MotoX track.

Having been left so long the new tunnel is bound to be a problem since it was never completed.

The longer it is all left the more of a challenge it will be, especially if it goes though another winter without attention.

Signs at the entrance suggest there is now a Motor Caravan business operating from the facility somewhere. I may need to pay a visit to suss it out.

Edit:

Er, managed to sort of suss it out on line. I think.

http://www.caravanmotorhomesales.co.uk/2010/03/

Last edited by grantp; 8 Apr 2010 at 23:07. Reason: Added info.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 16:51 (Ref:2669578)   #517
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
It looks awful, yes. But i fail see how with the right investment, that it could'nt be up and running again within at least a month.
Thats the problem. Who's gonna want to invest in it now?

The whole business is really sad. We don't need to lose yet another racing circuit - it does very little for series like the BTCC. If F1 hadn't come in and butchered the track for Bernie's detestable wants, it may still be here.

Its a disgusting and bitterly disappointing way to see a circuit go.

Last edited by dyewat808; 9 Apr 2010 at 17:00.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2669683)   #518
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Thats the problem. Who's gonna want to invest in it now?

Well, when my numbers come up in the double rollover this weekend I'll offer to pay for the track repairs if we can get racing back on the circuit......might need a few free entries to compensate, tho.....
Old 14 Apr 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2672764)   #519
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a public subscription to say at £100.00 per share to raise £2 million to repair the basic infrastructure and get things moving.If not enough is raised you get the money back .If it is successful then everyone owns a £100.00 share . BARC or MSVR to run it. There has to be enough competion licence holders ,entrants , marshals and enthusiasts to raise this money£2 million needs 20,000 people at £100.00 a go. Could always lease to a car manufacturer (like Mercedes at Brooklands ) as their own test track (VW owned Bentley in Derby for example )and combine it with commercial motorsport and track days .l
Old 14 Apr 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2672814)   #520
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Nice idea....but according to the 2009 MSA report in 2008 there were 10313 Race licence holders, and 1715 Speed licence holders.....even if all of them joined up you'd still be some way short......
Old 14 Apr 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2672875)   #521
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that's a great idea. You could go the the British GP and have a collection there aswell, as it is the mess that's left of Donington that has allowed those people to see the GP at Silverstone. Also, if you go to any BTCC meeting, you'll see at least 20,000 marshals there!
If I won big on the lottery you'd have your £2 millon. I'll try again this Friday.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2672893)   #522
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
You could go the the British GP and have a collection there aswell
Make sure you stick the bucket under Bernie's nose while you're at it. Kneel down if necessary, just make sure he realises the consequences of his actions.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 07:21 (Ref:2672984)   #523
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK ALLISON View Post
How about a public subscription to say at £100.00 per share to raise £2 million to repair the basic infrastructure and get things moving.If not enough is raised you get the money back .If it is successful then everyone owns a £100.00 share . BARC or MSVR to run it. There has to be enough competion licence holders ,entrants , marshals and enthusiasts to raise this money£2 million needs 20,000 people at £100.00 a go. Could always lease to a car manufacturer (like Mercedes at Brooklands ) as their own test track (VW owned Bentley in Derby for example )and combine it with commercial motorsport and track days .l
Nick, I think you'll find it was another famous car (well, aero engine) company in Derby - Rolls Royce! But I do like your idea.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2673001)   #524
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
I think that's a great idea. You could go the the British GP and have a collection there aswell, as it is the mess that's left of Donington that has allowed those people to see the GP at Silverstone. Also, if you go to any BTCC meeting, you'll see at least 20,000 marshals there!
If I won big on the lottery you'd have your £2 millon. I'll try again this Friday.
It is the failure of Donington Management only. The spectators have suffered enough with the exorbitant ticket fees forced on them by FOM charges to Silverstone.

The only people responsible for the mess at Donington are Simon Gillett and FOM. It is a private enterprise and the only way that it can be rescued is with a very high level of private investment.

A well meaning fan/driver lead charity-a-thon will leave us with a poor circuit in need of updating AND STILL NO MONEY TO DO IT.

Donington is a moneypit and it will require far more money than a whip round will provide.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2673013)   #525
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK ALLISON View Post
(VW owned Bentley in Derby for example )
Bentley moved to Crewe in 1946!