Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Apr 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2673018)   #526
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
. . . A well meaning fan/driver lead charity-a-thon will leave us with a poor circuit in need of updating AND STILL NO MONEY TO DO IT.

Donington is a moneypit and it will require far more money than a whip round will provide.
I agree. What we need is a business to make Donington a commercial sucess.

If it is not a commercial sucess, then it will not continue as a motorsport venue. Simples.

Regards

Jim
Old 16 Apr 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2673639)   #527
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there is no track to run on, then there is no business.
Surely Donington need to get that sorted first, before they can look into any businees ventures. I agree though, once that happens then they do need a business plan.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2673674)   #528
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Surely Donington need to get that sorted first, before they can look into any businees ventures. I agree though, once that happens then they do need a business plan.
The business plan has to include getting the track into a usable state - you have to start from the status quo, not some theoretical situation. No point in incurring the considerable expense of rectifying the track on the off-chance that somebody may be interested in the lease.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2673676)   #529
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
And there, sadly is the point.

Quite simply there isn't a business worth anything. It needs a skilled, experienced longterm investor.

Obviously there isn't such a beast or the venue would have been snapped up a long time ago.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2681101)   #530
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some news...

Today's motorsport news reports BARC chasing a deal but they are waiting to hear back from Kevin & co. Are the Wheatcrofts dragging their heels waiting for a better offer or are they merely innefficient? Palmer said he had had no further contact from Donington after early talks. This leaves limited options.

It boils ...down to the fact (from what can be read in MSN) that it is now Kevin Wheatcroft holding things up.

Alan Gow of the BTCC is positive that the BTCC meeting will go ahead, although he says (quoting from page 4, Motorsport News 28/4/10) "I would rather things had started happening already, but I am confident that the track will be ready for our races. There's plenty of time for the circuit to be brought up to standard"
Old 28 Apr 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2681102)   #531
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ach, no problem. It's not like BTCC actually need most of the track or listen to any observers reports, and a few trenches for them to dodge should make it even more like a video game...
Old 28 Apr 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2681138)   #532
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Ach, no problem. It's not like BTCC actually need most of the track or listen to any observers reports, and a few trenches for them to dodge should make it even more like a video game...
Andrew Jordan will have a better chance of victory with his Rallycross experience - leave the circuit as it is for the BTCC
Old 29 Apr 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2681497)   #533
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would like to see BARC take it on only at a good deal price though. I think it would be more healthy than letting MSV have another track in their portfolio and good for competition (in both senses of the word).
Old 29 Apr 2010, 07:59 (Ref:2681501)   #534
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Ihan letting MSV have another track in their portfolio
Although BARC already have four circuits themselves, the same as MSV...
Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2681540)   #535
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC runs nearly as many as MSV and I personally prefer the MSV circuits and the way they present them. BARC tend to lean more towards club racing as well, so that may be that for international racing at Donnington. Having said maybe the BARC see it as an opportunity to take their operations to the next level and compete for international events with the BRDC and MSV. As I've previously said my guess is the administration and legal process are whats holding things up, these thing do not resolve themselves quickly. In my experience Administrators have a habit of moving at a snails pace. It's also possible they are talking to other parties as well.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2681554)   #536
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If you count Bedford MSV infact have 5 so it maintains the status quo and as I am only interested in club racing would suit me fine.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2681561)   #537
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
If you count Bedford MSV infact have 5 so it maintains the status quo and as I am only interested in club racing would suit me fine.
I don't want to 'nit pick' Al, but Bedford doesn't have an MSA track licence, so it's not really within our sphere of interest.
I just want somebody to repair the damage and get Donington up and running again, whether it's for club, national or international events.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2681584)   #538
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
BARC runs nearly as many as MSV and I personally prefer the MSV circuits and the way they present them. BARC tend to lean more towards club racing as well, so that may be that for international racing at Donnington. Having said maybe the BARC see it as an opportunity to take their operations to the next level and compete for international events with the BRDC and MSV. As I've previously said my guess is the administration and legal process are whats holding things up, these thing do not resolve themselves quickly. In my experience Administrators have a habit of moving at a snails pace. It's also possible they are talking to other parties as well.
I suspect BARC would take issue with your suggestion that they don't run international events!

The BRDC now run very little - if anything.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2681602)   #539
Mr Don
Rookie

Ireland
Loughborough uk
Mr Don should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington Lives

Just annouced on the Save DP face book

PRESS RELEASE: 29th APRIL 2010

DONINGTON PARK RACE TRACK

RE-OPENING PLANS

The Plans to re-open the new improved Donington Park Race Track are progressing well.

The Project advisors, led by ex Aggregate Industries Director Philip Barltrop and Duncan Green of Pick Everard Consulting Engineers, have met John Symes of the MSA, and we are currently finalising plans and costings for the works to repair the damage done in and around the Race Track at Donington Park.

We are confident that the new improved Race Track can be re-opened, subject to obtaining the necessary Racing Licences, during August 2010.

Donington Park Race Director, Robert Fearnall, is working on an appropriate Race Programme for 2010 which we will announce as soon as possible.

The re-opening of Donington Park will ensure that the Circuit is once again available for National and International Motor Sport.

Kevin Wheatcroft
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2681605)   #540
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If that happens, it would be very good news.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2681653)   #541
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's brilliant news. Brilliant. Just what I needed whilst sat on my arse down under
Old 29 Apr 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2681731)   #542
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news indeed.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2681755)   #543
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think BARC will take on Donington without losing one of their existing circuits. Financially, the Croft Saga cost a lot to sort out, and it still isn't really sorted now. Has the club recovered from it enough to buy a new circuit?
Old 29 Apr 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2681761)   #544
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Masters have just announced that they will be hosting the first event at re-opened circuit (Big Historic Festival) 3-5th Sept, so fingers crossed! (They have now officially postponed their June event which was to be held there!)

No suggestion as to who has taken on the rebuild, though.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2681769)   #545
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Masters have just announced that they will be hosting the first event at re-opened circuit (Big Historic Festival) 3-5th Sept
Err... I thought it was BARC's truck meet that weekend?
Old 29 Apr 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2681782)   #546
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG View Post
Err... I thought it was BARC's truck meet that weekend?

Definitely says 3 day Historic Meeting 3,4,5th Sept. This quote copied from email-

Kevin Wheatcroft, circuit owner, said:The plans to re-open the new improved Donington Park are progressing well … we are confident that the new race track can be re-opened for testing, subject to obtaining the necessary licences, during August 2010; and we will be hosting the Masters Historic Festival on the first weekend of September”.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2681783)   #547
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I suspect BARC would take issue with your suggestion that they don't run international events!

The BRDC now run very little - if anything.
Apologies if I've got my wires crossed, but by the BRDC I was meaning Silverstone appreciate there's been all sorts of changes there though in the management structures. By BARC running international events, I was meaning at any of their venues as in visiting European or World Championships. Appreciate that they may be involved in running events though.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2681784)   #548
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Definitely says 3 day Historic Meeting 3,4,5th Sept. This quote copied from email-

Kevin Wheatcroft, circuit owner, said:The plans to re-open the new improved Donington Park are progressing well … we are confident that the new race track can be re-opened for testing, subject to obtaining the necessary licences, during August 2010; and we will be hosting the Masters Historic Festival on the first weekend of September”.
Okay... something has gone wrong - it appears that they've got a double booking as BARC's calendar definately says 4th/5th September is a truck race meeting. Someone's got their wires crossed somewhere - and that could be me!
Old 29 Apr 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2681787)   #549
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Great news
Old 29 Apr 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2681812)   #550
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG View Post
I don't think BARC will take on Donington without losing one of their existing circuits. Financially, the Croft Saga cost a lot to sort out, and it still isn't really sorted now. Has the club recovered from it enough to buy a new circuit?
This is the bit that concerns me. On the one hand I was pleased to see that BARC might be taking on Donington. But I wondered at what cost to my local circuit - Croft, i.e. would they cut and run from there owing to the fact that it can't be developed?