Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jun 2013, 10:55 (Ref:3266418)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Safety requirements for Historic racing at Nurburgring

I've asked this on the Oldtimer thread but maybe it needs more exposure.

Anyone know or can point me in direction of safety requirements for a period E car when racing at Nurburgring? For instance, is an FIA seat reqd, and do extinguisher clamps have to be bolt through type?
Old 22 Jun 2013, 14:58 (Ref:3266761)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,I think you'll find the same applies as Spa six hour,general FIA stuff.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3266968)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Mike, the safety info for thisyear's 6 hour is not up yet; the Summer Classic info should be the same, here:
http://www.roadbook.be/spasummerclas...endix_K_GB.pdf

EDIT: however these state they are for Period F onwards, make of that what you will

Last edited by MGDavid; 22 Jun 2013 at 16:38.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3267013)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks, both. I had an idea it would be same as Spa. Just need to check the seat regs- in theory a 1959 car doesn't need an FIA seat, but would like to be certain that what we accept in UK is same there!

Old 23 Jun 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3268505)   #5
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oddly the Spa Summer Classic has different rules from the Six Hours. Last weekend at the SC we were told in no uncertain terms that for the six hour meeting it was Original Seat or FIA seat. So my car was OK for the SC but not the six hour as it had a Kirkey...I don't really get it!

Last edited by JonWolfe; 23 Jun 2013 at 19:25.
Old 23 Jun 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3268520)   #6
exnigel
Rookie

exnigel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa six hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWolfe View Post
Oddly the Spa Summer Classic has different rules from the Six Hours. Last weekend at the SC we were told in no uncertain terms that for the six hour meeting it was Original Seat or FIA seat. So my car was OK for the SC but not the six hour as it had a Kirkey...I don't really get it!
Last year before the six hours meeting we were sent a letter from the organisers which said exactly what Jon has described: whatever the period of the car it was either original seats or FIA, even though that is not what Appendix K says. I put an FIA seat in my 1953 Aston for the woodcote trophy race there on the basis that it would be frustrating to go all that way and fall foul of the scrutineers.

In the event the scrutineering was done by an Englishman who applied app K rules so I could have kept my period style seats..........

Nigel B
Old 24 Jun 2013, 06:11 (Ref:3268693)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWolfe View Post
Thanks Jon. I think that is where I was getting confused- it is the 6hr that appears to have different regs to other meetings at Spa.....

Coincidentally I have a non FIA Kirkey in a 1959 car, which is creating the dilemma. Really need to revert to the period bucket, or spend loads of dosh trying to find an FIA seat that will fit in the narrow space. Luckily the race am contemplating is run by UK organiser, so hopefully common sense will apply.

Nigel, the Godiva sounded very healthy going past the pits at Dijon!
Old 24 Jun 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3268745)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,I'll ask around on the 30th just to be sure.Generally the Germans are very reasonable,they just like things to be right for the period.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3268808)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Tillett have an FIA seat or two in their range now - but have you seen the prices?
Old 24 Jun 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3268818)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Tillett have an FIA seat or two in their range now - but have you seen the prices?
funnily enough when I looked at their website the prices weren't immediately apparent! I didn't look too far, just in case.......
Old 24 Jun 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3268965)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tillett certainly know how to charge - they are the biggest players in the karting seat and rib protector game...."quality costs". They certainly produce the nicest kart seats around anyway, so hopefully their FIA one will be as good.

Actually, I think they are...just remembered that a Midget-racing friend trashed his car at Oulton last year and the seat held up well. Not only that but Tillett took it back and gave it a safety check over FOC.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3269096)   #12
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
At 1.7k for a carbon seat plus >300 for a pair of sidemounts I should hope so!
Old 24 Jun 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3269166)   #13
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't see Andy paying 1.7k!

To be fair, anyone could quote the most expensive products from any manufacturer to prove a point...prices start in the mid-500s for a seat that's at least 2kg lighter than the opposition. Not stupidly expensive if that's important to you and we already have a testimonial as to their safety.

After using that metal framed seat in the Midget I'll never do that again, and fibre seats start around the 300 mark IIRC for a cheapie, so Tillett aren't a mile out if they're decent.

I'm no apologist for Tillett nor do I stock them so I've no vested interest....
Old 25 Jun 2013, 04:14 (Ref:3269313)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I paid around £450 for mine. Used previous side mounts just adapted them.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3269753)   #15
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fitted a Tillett FIA seat in the E type for around the same price prior to Spa last year, just in case. Oh...and to avoid any more broken ribs from the period seat that came out....