Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Feb 2021, 10:53 (Ref:4037411)   #1
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Round 1 - So What Did We Learn?

What are we taking away from Round 1?
SVG is going to be hard to beat this year
Cameron Waters and Chaz Mostert are the main threats
DJR are already missing Scott and Roger
BJR's bad lack continues
Old 28 Feb 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4037424)   #2
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst Round 1- Does it work

So does Bathurst round one work or does it take away the yearly build up to October.

Cant beat racing at Bathurst but I feel today took it away from the October event.

(only my thoughts - not a criticism)
Old 28 Feb 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4037478)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Supercars Media can't get on screen timing to work.
Old 28 Feb 2021, 21:03 (Ref:4037479)   #4
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The endless gushing praise of T8 by Skaife and Crompo is worse than last year.
Old 28 Feb 2021, 21:43 (Ref:4037484)   #5
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
The endless gushing praise of T8 by Skaife and Crompo is worse than last year.
I am curious why all the T8 customer teams are so slow. Despite having aces like Winterbottom, Pye and Coulthard, and vehicles identical in specification, power and (access to the) setup of Mr. Van Gisgerben, the customer teams do not seem to bother the front row or the podium.
Old 28 Feb 2021, 23:45 (Ref:4037510)   #6
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
BJR's bad lack continues
It's not bad luck when something doesn't get plugged in...
Old 1 Mar 2021, 00:05 (Ref:4037512)   #7
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I am curious why all the T8 customer teams are so slow. Despite having aces like Winterbottom, Pye and Coulthard, and vehicles identical in specification, power and (access to the) setup of Mr. Van Gisgerben, the customer teams do not seem to bother the front row or the podium.
If Coulthard has an equal spec T8 car to that of RBAR, well, I'd be astonished.

Winterbottom also beat the man who will be selling cars to Team18 in the future, so clearly not terrible.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 00:07 (Ref:4037513)   #8
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't feel that it detracts from the October event, but I wouldn't bother going back.

It made for a bit of a meh sprint round, especially in these current cars, which seem to have huge issues passing.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 01:51 (Ref:4037524)   #9
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I read somewhere that it was a one off thing and they wont do it next year
Old 1 Mar 2021, 02:47 (Ref:4037528)   #10
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new timing graphics did not work or did not work properly.
eg. During shootout laps why does the time counter continue on after the lap is finished only to reset back to the ET. It makes it appear the car you were watching did not go faster, then, Oh yes it did.

Neil looks at all the people around the track as customers. Calling people customers sounds ****. They are spectators, passionate fans, not bags of money with faces.

Clipsal is a far better season opener.
2 x 250ks works a lot better on a 3.x km track. The grid passes your seat 78 times vs 40 laps at Bathurst.

Rihanna was no good but these 2 extras are no better. Jess Yates seems to be the only female on the team that does a good job. Tander and Lowndes are irritating too, but I think it stands out more because of all the focus on the commentary team during off-season.

SVG got a headstart with Anton, Slade, Cam all DNFing Race 1.... will be hard to rein back in I think. He just needs consistency now and looks like he already has it.

Oh and, Just in case you missed it - Whincup is hanging up the helmet at the end of this year
Old 1 Mar 2021, 02:55 (Ref:4037529)   #11
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Neil looks at all the people around the track as customers. Calling people customers sounds ****. They are spectators, passionate fans, not bags of money with faces.
Now that was odd.

I have never heard fans referred to as "customers" in any sport. He said it multiple times too.

Please explain Neil?
Old 1 Mar 2021, 02:58 (Ref:4037530)   #12
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
I read somewhere that it was a one off thing and they wont do it next year
Here: https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/02/27...500-to-return/

The question is rather pointless!
Old 1 Mar 2021, 05:30 (Ref:4037534)   #13
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given majority if not all teams have spare cars. Time to let them bring them to races as a backup, instead of sponsors getting early showers like the Blanchard's.

Teams often comment that the late night pit repairs cost more, once the car returns to the workshop for a more detailed repair.

1 spare per 2 car team. Customer teams like T8 runners could share. Officials to make the call on if a car is unrepairable before teams can wheel out the spare.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Mar 2021, 07:57 (Ref:4037538)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

It was almost as though Crompton was taunting those that wanted to replace him over the off season.

And when Skaife shortened "cumulative" to "cume" Crompton followed suit shortly afterwards.

Crompton was a breath of fresh air in 1981 - 40 years later it is probably time to go.

Is there any other TV sporting commentator who has been at it for as long?
Old 1 Mar 2021, 08:05 (Ref:4037543)   #15
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The new timing graphics did not work or did not work properly.
eg. During shootout laps why does the time counter continue on after the lap is finished only to reset back to the ET. It makes it appear the car you were watching did not go faster, then, Oh yes it did.

Clipsal is a far better season opener.
2 x 250ks works a lot better on a 3.x km track. The grid passes your seat 78 times vs 40 laps at Bathurst.

Rihanna was no good but these 2 extras are no better. Jess Yates seems to be the only female on the team that does a good job. Tander and Lowndes are irritating too, but I think it stands out more because of all the focus on the commentary team during off-season.

SVG got a headstart with Anton, Slade, Cam all DNFing Race 1.... will be hard to rein back in I think. He just needs consistency now and looks like he already has it.

Oh and, Just in case you missed it - Whincup is hanging up the helmet at the end of this year
You nailed everything right on the head Ford71.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 08:30 (Ref:4037545)   #16
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I preferred the Bathurst event to the Adelaide 500 although Sundays race was pretty ho hum. Definitely the commentary Team needs a bit of fine tuning though. Does Skaife have to mention how fast they are going so many times ? Compared to most racing categories Supercars are quite slow.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4037550)   #17
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Compared to most racing categories Supercars are quite slow.
A glance at the lap records at most Australian race tracks would suggest that there are many more slower categories than there are faster categories than Supercars.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 00:24 (Ref:4037779)   #18
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
It was almost as though Crompton was taunting those that wanted to replace him over the off season.

And when Skaife shortened "cumulative" to "cume" Crompton followed suit shortly afterwards.

Crompton was a breath of fresh air in 1981 - 40 years later it is probably time to go.

Interesting thought. It did come across as very deliberate. I heard him say it maybe a dozen times, and never once used another proper term like "race fans".

I heard that abbreviation also.
Is it that the talking heads are just looking for different terms to use for no other reason than to avoid repeating the same old words (the ones that are correct!) ?
Lowndes repeats the same old lines and then follows up with "As I just said, the xxxxx". He is in his 2nd year now, no improvements.
And I'm sure all of this is standing out due to the series themselves carrying on all thru the off-season about their fresh commentary team and graphics update.

Had to laugh at Larko and Seamer pal'ing it up on the mountain during one of the shootouts. Hey Larko, he clumsily fired you a few months back, remember?!
Old 2 Mar 2021, 00:26 (Ref:4037780)   #19
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Bruce McAvaney, but he is across multiple sport telecasts
Old 2 Mar 2021, 01:35 (Ref:4037782)   #20
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Had to laugh at Larko and Seamer pal'ing it up on the mountain during one of the shootouts. Hey Larko, he clumsily fired you a few months back, remember?!
What, you don't believe Seamer goes up on the mountain with the boys for beers (once the race tracks closed hehe .)

Blatant "make nice for the cameras" puff piece
Old 2 Mar 2021, 03:44 (Ref:4037793)   #21
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
What, you don't believe Seamer goes up on the mountain with the boys for beers (once the race tracks closed hehe .)

He fit in so well up there
Old 2 Mar 2021, 04:43 (Ref:4037794)   #22
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post

Seamer looked like Mr Bean up there in his white business shirt and black slacks. Blending in with the bogans
Old 2 Mar 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4037853)   #23
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I felt it worked well enough as a special solution. This year we start with Bathurst and Sandown and that'll be fine, but I'll be glad to have other events back next season. Except for Sandown if there's not going to be a 500, then that round can stay. I like Sandown.

And yeah, van Gisbergen looks real strong. The others will really have to bring their A Game if they want to beat 888. As for the customers not matching 888, I'd hardly say Coulthard is a match for van Gisbergen or Whincup... And we'll see if Will is for Scotty, bless him. I'm guessing the teams is at about the same level but that's one heck of a driver to find a replacement for.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 10:44 (Ref:4038204)   #24
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I heard that abbreviation also.
Is it that the talking heads are just looking for different terms to use for no other reason than to avoid repeating the same old words (the ones that are correct!) ?
That sort of thinking is how we started calling pitlane “the lane” from circa-2004 onwards, thanks to Mr Crompton

Crompton is ok but the boys club is as alive as ever sadly, something needs to change
Old 3 Mar 2021, 23:24 (Ref:4038469)   #25
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
That sort of thinking is how we started calling pitlane “the lane” from circa-2004 onwards, thanks to Mr Crompton

Crompton is ok but the boys club is as alive as ever sadly, something needs to change
It's funny how the push for diversity never extends to the two main commentator positions...or the Supercars board....or the CEO...