Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jan 2021, 20:46 (Ref:4031367)   #26
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Nearly Bob!
One replica Talbot and GO54 Talbot that’s the 1931 Le Mans Car.
The Alta is the supercharged 2 litre that was exported to Germany in 1938 and then taken to the States in 1946.
It stayed there until I bought it back in 2000. We won the Pre War race at the Ring in 2001 when I sold it to a Spanish friend of mine and he had Sam Stretton drive it for many years until it was recently sold to Belgium.
Only LHD car Alta built. Pity was the car didn’t show its potential in my friends ownership as he just prepared it to chug round so Sam did pretty well with it winning a couple of races and top tens and many.
Have asked Joe to send some pics
Old 26 Jan 2021, 21:38 (Ref:4031374)   #27
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GO52/53/54!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9486.JPG   IMG_9655.JPG  
Old 26 Jan 2021, 22:07 (Ref:4031379)   #28
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure who owns that Leaf

The GO cars were 51/52/53/54
51 spent most of early thirties as single seater.

BGH 23 lapped Brooklands at 130 mph
In 2018 GO 52 lapped Le Mans in 5 min 48 Sec
If only I knew how to post pics
Old 27 Jan 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4031422)   #29
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As requested!

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Talbot 105 Alpine John Ruston (4).JPG
Views:	8
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	66620Click image for larger version

Name:	Talbot 105 Alpine John Ruston (3).JPG
Views:	9
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	66621[/ATTACH]
Old 27 Jan 2021, 08:46 (Ref:4031425)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for this and for the historical insights.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 08:47 (Ref:4031426)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Cheers
That’s BGH21 on way to winning Flying Scotsman
Nine weeks later it won at Le Mans Classic
Old 27 Jan 2021, 08:50 (Ref:4031427)   #32
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Looked at that last picture and it’s me in a Hero rally 1000 mile trial with the top navigator Jeremy Haylock!
We nearly won it but screwed up on day three
Crappy driver!
Old 27 Jan 2021, 09:24 (Ref:4031430)   #33
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 2nd answer is correct, they were both taken at Whilton Mill Kart circuit. I do not think I have one of you on the 2018 Flying Scotsman, the only one I have seen.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 10:00 (Ref:4031440)   #34
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
A few of GO52 from 1000 mile trial 2017 & Silverstone Classic 2015.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Talbot 105  Gareth Burnett  (1).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	66622Click image for larger version

Name:	Talbot 105  Gareth Burnett  (2).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	66623Click image for larger version

Name:	Talbot 105 Alpine Gareth Burnett.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	66624
Old 27 Jan 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4031447)   #35
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From JR's collection;
Attached Thumbnails
BGH 21 008.JPG   DSC-2173.JPG   DSC-3518-2.JPG  

IMG_0122.JPG   IMG_0129.JPG   IMG_0424.JPG  

Old 27 Jan 2021, 10:39 (Ref:4031449)   #36
bauble
Veteran

England
... and.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4359.jpg   IMG_4432.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0105.jpg  

thumbnail_IMG_0089.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2021, 13:00 (Ref:4031479)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
51 (AvdC's) @ LMC 2010. my work PC wallpaper

Driver now 6'
Attached Thumbnails
Art-Talbot.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2021, 13:12 (Ref:4031482)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Is that a Singer 9 ?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4359.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2021, 13:22 (Ref:4031483)   #39
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

1936 Singer Le Mans one and half litre 6 cylinder
They were raced but the main claim to fame were trials
Think they are extremely good road cars but to heavy for racing.
We may have a look at possibility next year
Until then it’s my golf club transport!
Old 27 Jan 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4031498)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
One presumes you don't park too close to the driving range.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4032447)   #41
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Been asked by a couple of people what are the cars shown in posts 35/36 by Bob on my behalf

Here we go
Talbot GO 52 1931 Works Car at Le Mans Classic
It’s won overall three times and nine one hour heats
Won Alpine Rally and many other events including Pre War Sports at Silverstone Classic

Tony Gaze 2 litre supercharged Alta 1937 We won 28 international races and beat hill record at Prescott with a very pedestrian guest driver!

Talbot BGH 21 1934 works car. I have owned it for 23 years and most original of BGH cars Raced in period and won Alpine Trial raced at Brooklands and South African GP
It’s taken part in all the Le Mans Classics, Mille Miglia ,won Flying Scotsman,Tour Britannia and host of other events

Side view is BGH 21 on its way to winning Flying Scotsman

Alta KMP 977 2 litre 1939 unique non supercharged car Won Pre War Sports at Spa and the most surprising of all the Flying Scotsman

Singer CXY56. 1936 One and half litre six cylinder
Deciding if we should race this car. Doubtful!

Lea Francais 1928 Hyper S one and half litre supercharged it’s the original 1928 works car driven by Willy Greens dad in TT and Irish GP
We should be racing this year . It will be interesting as may be quick for a Pre 30 car

That’s the competition side of Pre War fleet

Put in a picture of me driving Michael Birch’s 1934 with him as navigator
He won first heat at Le Mans Classic and second overall
I have owned the car on six separate occasions and May be seventh as he is having GO52 from me and I am taking JJ93 unless someone else wants it!!
You only get a works Talbot if you pass the suitable owner test.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 15:11 (Ref:4032511)   #42
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would I pass that test John?!
Old 31 Jan 2021, 15:16 (Ref:4032515)   #43
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Marginal but probably these days!
Old 31 Jan 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4032531)   #44
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, out of interest, and a long shot, but is that the Alta that Gaze brought to and used in Australia post WW2?
Old 31 Jan 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4032541)   #45
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

That’s the one EJJ

It was also used by Gaze to map out the Goodwood circuit
There is a snippet on the nett of the car doing the Rob Roy hillclimb.
We could never work out the Gaze car colour as there were many layers when we restored it.We guessed RAF blue as that was one of layers and after finding the film found we guessed correctly
The car went to an Italian and I now understand it’s been moved on.
Pity as they are very special but need people to understand them before messing with engine and general set up.
Never known one of these old restorers that own up to the lack of knowledge and understanding! Some are brilliant at creating history
Mine are mostly with Gareth Burnett but the Leaf is being taken by both Gareth and Blakeney Motorsport.As far as I am concerned that set up worked and I did spend lots of money early on with these cars with other people.
As they say all education usually cost lots of dosh!
Old 31 Jan 2021, 16:25 (Ref:4032556)   #46
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By sheer coincidence I am awaiting delivery of the Tony Gaze book.... "Almost Unknown: The Story of Squadron Leader Tony Gaze" It is scheduled for Wednesday delivery which is ironic.... would have been his 101st Birthday.
I was actually at Rob Roy just a few weeks ago.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 16:41 (Ref:4032565)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It must be an age thing (I am getting old) because I'm quite enjoying this discussion. Just don't mention Bentley. 😄
Old 31 Jan 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4032569)   #48
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Your catching on Peter!
We have a no Bentley zone
That’s a separate thread . Could work out how many real VDP cars exist !
Old 31 Jan 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4032570)   #49
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I had a four and a half for six weeks . That was enough!
Old 3 Feb 2021, 09:35 (Ref:4033180)   #50
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not a racer but since both Talbot and Gareth have been mentioned and I don't think I've posted it before (although John & Peter may have seen it) this is something that I've sat on for nearly 20 years and 'saved' from my divorce, and was finally able to throw some money at - hoping to get it back post pandemic!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1532SSJT.jpg  
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!