Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 23 Jul 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1045124)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shakeup At Panther...

Got this off the Speed web-site:

Penzoil Panther Racing fired Pancho Carter, driver coach, on Friday because of "a series of incidents detrimental to the team".

"Pancho has consistently been one of the best spotters in the League and has played a major roll in the development of our drivers" the statement said. "However, there have been several instances in the course of the last few seasons that were not representative of Panther and the team felt it was best to part ways".

Well this brings alot of questions. What kind of problems could the racing legend have? Could this have been Mark Taylors problem on the Panther team? Could he have something to do with Scheckters problems to?

I guess Panther needs to clean house abit, to get competitive again...
Old 23 Jul 2004, 22:38 (Ref:1045130)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Raises more questions than it answers, doesn't it?

I've always been a Pancho Carter fan, for as long as my memory reaches, and so I'm very curious.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 22:45 (Ref:1045143)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
His spotting has been slated in recent races after a few incidents.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 22:45 (Ref:1045144)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it does mac, and I've always been a fan to.

This has to be especially tough on Pancho's 2 boys who race in the USAC series, and are both racing in Milwaukee this weekend. One of there cars is owned by Panther!

This seems to have nothing to do with racing, it sounds like it's more personal...

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Jul 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1045624)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's strange. When Sam was driving the car, he rarely crashed. Scheckter has a (justified) reputation as a car-wrecker, and Taylor had little wheel-to-wheel experience as he dominated IPS, and they've crashed several times. Is there anything suspicious in that?

Then again, one or two of the incidents have been attributed to the spotter, so perhaps there are questions over his health. Or maybe there are internal issues at stake, perhaps nothing to do with racing, whcih would be unfortunate.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1045630)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ironically, since Sam's moved to Penske, he's been in a lot of crashes.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1045795)   #7
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's true and with the exception of last week, you cannot blame Tomas for Panther's woes this season.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 09:43 (Ref:1046460)   #8
B/Mark
Racer

B/Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing to do with his spotting per se, he remains one of the best spotters in the league. He has been fairly aggresive with some other spotters when their driver was blocking Sam/Tomas.
It seems the argument spilled over off track on Thursday night.
Panther therfore dismissed him for off track activities.
His spotting remains great and Tomas' season is still in the toilet - and thats a car/engine thing.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 10:05 (Ref:1046483)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Thanks for the insight, B/Mark.

Any idea who'll be replacing him this weekend?
Old 25 Jul 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1046551)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fair enough Mark, nice to have someone from Taylor's team explaining things. Maybe there was just too much alcohol in Pancho's veins that night. It doens't reflect well on a professional racing team for antics like these to occur, so I think their decision was probably right.