Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jun 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3419274)   #1
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Propshaft

Can anyone recommend a good "race quality" propshaft supplier.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3419279)   #2
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Have a word with Ian Rix at Harleston .01379 854387.
He makes a lot of top quality competition parts , I don,t think he makes props , but will know who does .
Old 12 Jun 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3419312)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I got mine from recoprop, has been as sweet as for nearly ten years now.

I think the problem for you is the size and revs, assuming your in the land of 10k RPM
Old 12 Jun 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3419361)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I have used Reco Prop and they are very good. I have put a lot of work there way. We were stuck a couple of years ago and needed a prop balancing urgent. They declined to help me. I rang Propshaft services anf they did the job more or less over night and we have been using them ever since.
So I recomend them Robin. 020 88442265.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3419388)   #5
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post

Talk to Clive Cocks - the chief honcho at Bailey Morris in St Neots. He is a fellow racer with one of the original WSM Sprites and understands the type of requirements you are likely to have. Bailey Morris also sponsor the HSCC Historic Formula Ford championship so have an affinity with historic race cars.

http://www.baileymorris.co.uk/

They have sorted the propshaft on Minnie the Minx and more recently on my Elite. Quick and efficient operation - and Clive is a thoroughly nice guy to boot, notwithstanding his strange choice of travelling companion:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2105.jpg  
Old 13 Jun 2014, 04:57 (Ref:3419733)   #6
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used both Reco-prop in the past and Bailly-Morris currently. I agree with Brian's sentiments re. service from Clive's team (BM) very helpful and knowledgeable
Old 13 Jun 2014, 06:02 (Ref:3419743)   #7
Neil Duke
Racer

Neil Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another vote for Prop Shaft Services in Feltham,first class work & sound advice.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3419956)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've used PSS as well. I agree recoprop didn't seem overly interested keen or quick last time I used them. More interested in rattling out modern tat

As Brian suggests, Clive looks like the man to speak to.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3419990)   #9
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Story so far. I called recoprop wed lunch time,said he'd ring back.He didn't!!
Rang thursday morning spoke to a lady who took details again.Still havn't had a reply!!!

Called Bailey-Morris this morning spoke to a guy called Jamie took details and await his reply.

Hopefully i'll get somewhere on monday.
Keep you posted.

PS Zef. yes its 9k revs i'm looking for. You should see the state of the one that broke on sunday!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 Jun 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3420043)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I remember when we were Hot Rod racing we could make up a propshaft out of one in the scrap yard off of just about any old RWD but didn't use 1-1 top gear.
It wasn't until we started to do the odd meeting on longer circuits where we could pull top that we had problems and I remember George Polley getting a smack up the arse when the prop came through the floor !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jun 2014, 06:06 (Ref:3420206)   #11
Neil Duke
Racer

Neil Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I remember when we were Hot Rod racing we could make up a propshaft out of one in the scrap yard off of just about any old RWD but didn't use 1-1 top gear.
It wasn't until we started to do the odd meeting on longer circuits where we could pull top that we had problems and I remember George Polley getting a smack up the arse when the prop came through the floor !!!!
All the Speedworth ovals were done in second gear,just changed the diff.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3422140)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Next time you see Dan Cox, Robyn, ask him about Spa, 2003 I think it was, pulled the pinion out of the diff and pressed a swage in the tunnel right next to his crown Jewels.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3422211)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I was at that meeting Joe and offered a spare gearbox and propshaft to Dan but he didn't want to cut a hole in the floor for the gear lever.
I think if I was in the same predicament at a place like Spa I wouldn't have had to think twice !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Jun 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3422216)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Actually, it was 2004, I offered him a diff too

Anglia wouldn't pull a 4.1 !!!

he was pretty shaken up, I remember driving past him at the top of Kemmel, nearly launched the car.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3422254)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I had a prop break at the front UJ at Brands years ago as I was going up the hill to Druids, luckily it didn't dig in as the car ride hight was so low that it stopped in the tunnel.
After that I always bolted a couple of safety straps underneath on any car that I built !
Old 15 Jun 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3422318)   #16
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Anglia wouldn't pull a 4.1 !!!
Sorry, being a bit thick, here; what do you mean?

We used 3 different diffs, a 3.9, a 4.1 plus another, possibly a 4.4; all dependent on the track, and the gearbox with the ratios that I preferred for that circuit. Mind you, could be a nightmare if you didn't have the right pairing

Old 16 Jun 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3422465)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Dan used to run a 5.1 and pull 10-11k . . . . a real hot rod.

it was all revs and shouting, no torque!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 09:54 (Ref:3422491)   #18
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Ah, something that we could only dream about
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3422547)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:

Ditto !!!!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 15:51 (Ref:3422646)   #20
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

It's funny, now, looking back to those glorious days on the tracks. You lot with your pokey little screamers and us with our over-bored lumps, and barely a fag paper between us (or is it not PC nowadays to mention the use of the stuff that some rolled up their wacky products - for medicinal purposes no doubt)
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3422920)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think the better prepared cars all get to a point where physics prevents them from going any quicker. most of the cars are as aerodynamic as a house brick.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3422923)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
I think the better prepared cars all get to a point where physics prevents them from going any quicker. most of the cars are as aerodynamic as a house brick.
I think that you are being most offensive about house bricks - they do have feelings after all, you know!

My old problem was not generally how to get it to go quicker; it was definitely a case of how to get the b*gger to slow down, let alone come to a full stop, after a ten lap race especially at tracks like Brands or Mallory. Brake fade would never adequately describe the symptoms of problem! We once considered cutting holes in the floor pan either side of the pedals so that I could stick my feet out to help in the braking department.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3423048)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
We once considered cutting holes in the floor pan either side of the pedals so that I could stick my feet out to help in the braking department.
A lot of the saloons that we got from the scrap yards to race on the ovals all those years ago didn't need holes to be cut, they were already there !!
Old 17 Jun 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3423092)   #24
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
A lot of the saloons that we got from the scrap yards to race on the ovals all those years ago didn't need holes to be cut, they were already there !!
And now, all those years later, you have finally found out why!