Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jan 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3952716)   #1226
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Williams aims to debut car on first day of test" Aims?! I would have thought that is an absolute red line!
Old 22 Jan 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3952759)   #1227
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not sure if this is the article/interview you are referring to but here is a recent article with Claire on autosport.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...t-of-19-delays

obviously nothing is guaranteed but it does sound like the team is ahead of where they were at this point last year....for whatever that is worth.

from the article:

"We've built ourselves a huge amount of contingency time to ensure that if something does go wrong, we're OK and we've got some cover there," Williams added.

"One of the first signs of success for us is that we passed all our crash tests, and most of which we did at the first attempt rather than like last year where we failed many of them: even at the sixth attempt.

of course, whenver it does hit the track, the car still may be pants. interesting times ahead.
Old 22 Jan 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3952761)   #1228
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
"One of the first signs of success for us is that we passed all our crash tests, and most of which we did at the first attempt rather than like last year where we failed many of them: even at the sixth attempt.

of course, whenver it does hit the track, the car still may be pants. interesting times ahead.

But at least it will be crash test approved pants!
Old 22 Jan 2020, 17:00 (Ref:3952769)   #1229
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
not sure if this is the article/interview you are referring to but here is a recent article with Claire on autosport.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...t-of-19-delays

obviously nothing is guaranteed but it does sound like the team is ahead of where they were at this point last year....for whatever that is worth.

from the article:

"We've built ourselves a huge amount of contingency time to ensure that if something does go wrong, we're OK and we've got some cover there," Williams added.

Grand prix.com - interesting two different takes from two different feeds..fingers crossed all will be well and the Pheonix will rise
Old 22 Jan 2020, 19:31 (Ref:3952804)   #1230
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
But at least it will be crash test approved pants!
haha right!

just to add, for me time must have faded the memory of how behind the ball Williams were last year. i cant say i remember about a part failing a required safety test 6 times before they got it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Grand prix.com - interesting two different takes from two different feeds..fingers crossed all will be well and the Pheonix will rise
indeed fingers crossed.
Old 22 Jan 2020, 20:13 (Ref:3952812)   #1231
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
i cant say i remember about a part failing a required safety test 6 times before they got it right!
I also don't remember that detail. To be honest, that is quiet shocking to me. I can imagine failing 2-3 times maybe. But at some point you stop, step back to pause and regroup. What is the saying?

Quote:
There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.
Clearly when you do it that many times, it is taking more time and money to get it right. That many times it sounds like they were throwing it at the wall to see if it might stick! (no pun intended!) But basically, try again and hope it works right the next time?

Now, the detail I am curious about is, was that six times a full test (with FIA technical delegate present, etc.) or does that include internal testing that failed prior to them doing a real certification test? I can't imagine that is six attempts at certification.

No doubt the crash behavior is simulated (via computer) many times prior to physical testing. I broadly assume that teams will do a physical test in-house prior to doing a sanctioned test? Especially if maybe they are doing something different than normal? And those tests can be mixture of full scale and maybe smaller sections? Just like tunnel testing, they have to correlate reality to how it is modeled on a computer. Such as to make sure deformation happens as expected and provides the right resistance curve.

But, man six times! That seems crazy to me. Even if a mixture of in-house and attempts to get FIA certification.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 22 Jan 2020 at 20:19.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3952886)   #1232
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I also don't remember that detail. To be honest, that is quiet shocking to me. I can imagine failing 2-3 times maybe. But at some point you stop, step back to pause and regroup. What is the saying?

Clearly when you do it that many times, it is taking more time and money to get it right. That many times it sounds like they were throwing it at the wall to see if it might stick! (no pun intended!) But basically, try again and hope it works right the next time?

Now, the detail I am curious about is, was that six times a full test (with FIA technical delegate present, etc.) or does that include internal testing that failed prior to them doing a real certification test? I can't imagine that is six attempts at certification.

No doubt the crash behavior is simulated (via computer) many times prior to physical testing. I broadly assume that teams will do a physical test in-house prior to doing a sanctioned test? Especially if maybe they are doing something different than normal? And those tests can be mixture of full scale and maybe smaller sections? Just like tunnel testing, they have to correlate reality to how it is modeled on a computer. Such as to make sure deformation happens as expected and provides the right resistance curve.

But, man six times! That seems crazy to me. Even if a mixture of in-house and attempts to get FIA certification.

Richard
Don't forget the genius Paddy Lowe also oversaw the design of an illegal front suspension with too many elements, maybe that compromised strength when it was put right
Old 23 Jan 2020, 12:02 (Ref:3952904)   #1233
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Don't forget the genius Paddy Lowe also oversaw the design of an illegal front suspension with too many elements, maybe that compromised strength when it was put right
I guess only the team knows.

To your point, we dont know which test failed. Typically it's the front ones that are hard I think. I believe the only components involved in those tests is the monocoque and front crash structure (internal core of nose). No suspension, wings, etc. So a questionable suspension design "shouldn't" impact the crash testing?

Richard
Old 23 Jan 2020, 12:16 (Ref:3952909)   #1234
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
I guess only the team knows.

To your point, we dont know which test failed. Typically it's the front ones that are hard I think. I believe the only components involved in those tests is the monocoque and front crash structure (internal core of nose). No suspension, wings, etc. So a questionable suspension design "shouldn't" impact the crash testing?

Richard
I did say maybe
Old 23 Jan 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3952938)   #1235
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I did say maybe
Sorry, wasn't trying to be dismissive. Thinking about this more, it seems like the team was up against the wall on many front and with limited resources. So they can't devote 100% to all topics. So issues around suspension (such as rushed redesign) may have stolen resources from other things including crash structures? There should be shared resources such as those who know loads through carbon structures.

Richard
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3952958)   #1236
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
...No doubt the crash behavior is simulated (via computer) many times prior to physical testing...
Quote:
we know that Williams has been underfunded for years so i wonder how far behind they are in their investments/upgrade to their facilities, computer systems, manufacturing equipment etc. people may only be as good as the tools they have available?

for arguments sake, lets say Williams have spent about 100mill less then the average F1 budget every year for the last decade...does that put them at a 1 billion dollar deficit?

i doubt its that much but i would imagine it to still be a large amount. perhaps even an insurmountably large number for the organization, as it currently stands, to ever raise themselves.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3952975)   #1237
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
we know that Williams has been underfunded for years so i wonder how far behind they are in their investments/upgrade to their facilities, computer systems, manufacturing equipment etc. people may only be as good as the tools they have available?

for arguments sake, lets say Williams have spent about 100mill less then the average F1 budget every year for the last decade...does that put them at a 1 billion dollar deficit?

i doubt its that much but i would imagine it to still be a large amount. perhaps even an insurmountably large number for the organization, as it currently stands, to ever raise themselves.
I don't think it is about resources, more that some of there internal practices and processes were outdated. They have far greater resources than force India pre the Strolls, but have been outperformed by them in recent years.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Jan 2020, 18:43 (Ref:3952987)   #1238
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
...They have far greater resources than force India pre the Strolls, but have been outperformed by them in recent years.
fair point!
Old 23 Jan 2020, 20:14 (Ref:3952998)   #1239
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
I don't think it is about resources, more that some of there internal practices and processes were outdated. They have far greater resources than force India pre the Strolls, but have been outperformed by them in recent years.

Although weirdly as soon as their backs come off the wall and a few € are about they go off the pace....
Old 23 Jan 2020, 20:31 (Ref:3953001)   #1240
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Although weirdly as soon as their backs come off the wall and a few € are about they go off the pace....
I always felt some magic was happening at FI and that it couldn't last forever. They just seemed to have it going better than they should (given their size/budget). I wonder if their recent drama has caught up with them. That there is a delay between positives (new funding) and negatives (drama we all know about) and how it shows up in the car???

Same applies to Williams. If they get themselves back on track (internally) it may take a season or more for that to actually show up on track.

Richard
Old 25 Jan 2020, 04:51 (Ref:3953243)   #1241
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sir Frank is the Team Principal, even if in title only, and I don't see Claire being moved on while he is still around.

I suspect they don't expect much to come from this season. This year's car will likely be a development testbed for 2021 within the confines of the current ruleset.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
Old 25 Jan 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3953319)   #1242
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholosophy View Post
Sir Frank is the Team Principal, even if in title only, and I don't see Claire being moved on while he is still around.

I suspect they don't expect much to come from this season. This year's car will likely be a development testbed for 2021 within the confines of the current ruleset.

Problem is the whole 'name over the door's thing is more of a hindrance than a help. Interesting to see that Martin Brundle was recently suggesting it was time for Claire to move upstairs and appoint a new team principal with full autonomy.

Old 25 Jan 2020, 21:18 (Ref:3953479)   #1243
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
haha right!

just to add, for me time must have faded the memory of how behind the ball Williams were last year. i cant say i remember about a part failing a required safety test 6 times before they got it right.
Most likely the front crash structure (the nosebox).

Fairly common practice to make it too light and then literally add one layer of carbon each time until it passes. Stops you making it too heavy.
Old 25 Jan 2020, 22:33 (Ref:3953532)   #1244
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Problem is the whole 'name over the door's thing is more of a hindrance than a help. Interesting to see that Martin Brundle was recently suggesting it was time for Claire to move upstairs and appoint a new team principal with full autonomy.

I don't disagree with this.

Old 26 Jan 2020, 01:36 (Ref:3953610)   #1245
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Most likely the front crash structure (the nosebox).

Fairly common practice to make it too light and then literally add one layer of carbon each time until it passes. Stops you making it too heavy.
Boy I sure hope F1 has moved way beyond bush league trial and error engineering. That sounds very 1980s.

Richard
Old 26 Jan 2020, 07:50 (Ref:3953646)   #1246
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Maybe, but I’m talking top three teams today.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 15:25 (Ref:3954420)   #1247
Richard C
Veteran

New hires at Williams.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...ault-designers

I can't navigate/understand the titles of the new guys plus the reshuffling of existing at Williams. So it makes it hard for me to understand the hierarchy and where they fit in. Ideally they should be bringing in some new ideas. Particularly from Red Bull.

No mention of gardening leave. How deep in an org do you have to go before that is not done F1? I assume it's all based upon how the contract is written with the current employer. And that to put that burden upon someone, you have to compensate them. So they just can't do it for everyone as it would get expensive.

Richard
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:25 (Ref:3954722)   #1248
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmm, I learnt of these hires the other day. Interesting that a fairly senior Red Bull engineer has joined Williams.

These are ones that have been announced but I suspect Williams are working very hard to bring in more people.
Old 1 Feb 2020, 10:24 (Ref:3954978)   #1249
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
New hires at Williams.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...ault-designers

I can't navigate/understand the titles of the new guys plus the reshuffling of existing at Williams. So it makes it hard for me to understand the hierarchy and where they fit in. Ideally they should be bringing in some new ideas. Particularly from Red Bull.

No mention of gardening leave. How deep in an org do you have to go before that is not done F1? I assume it's all based upon how the contract is written with the current employer. And that to put that burden upon someone, you have to compensate them. So they just can't do it for everyone as it would get expensive.

Richard
gardening leave depends on the seniority of the role and how much secret stuff they know. it’s also part of the employment budget in f1 because it’s so universal, and it’s always paid. bearing in mind paid leave and taking it is universal in europe it’s no different to that really. there’s also the standard non-disclosure agreements that they’re more than happy to act on as well.

there’s a lot of uncertainty at the big silver team at the moment, and a lot more people than usual handing in their notice as a result. i wonder to what extent that’s true at the other teams?
Old 1 Feb 2020, 13:06 (Ref:3955001)   #1250
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It shows Williams are still serious and it’s good they are able to persuade the staff. I wish them the best, would be good if they could move up the grid in 2021, if not this year