Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2020, 09:27 (Ref:3990988)   #76
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Does Shwartzman even have the required points for a super-licence?
Yes.
He even had them before the F2 season started.
He has lots of points by finishing in the top positions of the championships he ran for the past few years.

There seems to be a problem with the uploading of files, but what I have on record after the end of 2019:

* Nyck de Vries = 78 points
* Robert Schwarzman = 69
* Luca Ghiotto = 66
* Artem Markelov = 60
* Sergio Camara = 50
* Marcus Amrstrong = 50
* Christian Lundgaard = 46
* Juri Vips = 42
* Jack Aitken = 40

--

That would mean even Camara and Vips are eligible, and both are Red Bull-connected.

Funny thing for Ferrari: of the 5 juniors they have in F2 now, those with the least (F2-)experience have the required points, those with the most don't (Alesi, Schumacher), and neither does Illot.

Last edited by gert; 27 Jul 2020 at 09:37.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3990997)   #77
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He has enough points, but he still would probably need a good season in F2. Of course there might be a few seats up for grabs, Haas could have one or two available.

As for the others, we need more seats really for them to have a chance. I reckon though Markelov could be in F1, not sure about de Vries, even though the talent is there. Camara needs to be patient and he will find a seat in time. And Aitken is a valuable asset, but also probably could wait a couple of seasons.

But it's good to see a few are ready for F1 and some like Camara have a test contract. It's going to make or break for a few.

Ferrari can afford to back a few, although not sure which ones will break through. Give some like Schumacher more experience and he will do a good job, I think he is getting there, while Alesi has got a bit of time to wait. Illot has got a bit to do, but we have got exciting times and hopefully we'll see who's ready for F1 come the end of the season. Got a feeling we could have a surprise or two
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:17 (Ref:3991027)   #78
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
As this is a "silly season" thread, so why not ask a random silly question. If Perez leaves Racing Point, why is he only being linked with Haas? If he brings good sponsorship with him, then surely a seat at Williams would be a good deal for both parties?

Brings money and is a good driver. Williams are seemingly improving, and would be able to field two good drivers. Then we will get to see just how much speed George Russell really has.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:28 (Ref:3991032)   #79
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Yes.
* Robert Schwarzman = 69
* Luca Ghiotto = 66
* Artem Markelov = 60
* Sergio Camara = 50
* Marcus Amrstrong = 50
* Juri Vips = 42
* Jack Aitken = 40
Of those above de Vries, Schwarzman and Camara have enough points over 2018-2019 combined that they will have enough SL points in 2021 even if they fail to score any in 2020.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3991034)   #80
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
As this is a "silly season" thread, so why not ask a random silly question. If Perez leaves Racing Point, why is he only being linked with Haas? If he brings good sponsorship with him, then surely a seat at Williams would be a good deal for both parties?

Brings money and is a good driver. Williams are seemingly improving, and would be able to field two good drivers. Then we will get to see just how much speed George Russell really has.
Williams have confirmed Russell and Latifi for next season so don't have a free seat. But of course we know how contracts in F1 work so in theory Perez could slot into Williams. Latifi brings money - without that they're knackered, Russell presumably comes with a discount on the engines. So who do you swap out for Perez? Unless Perez brings more money than Latifi that'll be a no go, and unless he brings more than the Russell discount is worth then it's also a no go you'd have thought.

The Haas seat makes more sense - Perez is as good as or better than their current drivers and presumably brings more money than either.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3991038)   #81
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

Williams confirmed Latifi, as well as Russell.
Latifi's dad is investing a lot of money into the team, more than Checo could bring.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:48 (Ref:3991039)   #82
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's kind of weird that Williams confirmed both drivers, while Mercedes haven't announced a single driver yet.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 14:01 (Ref:3991043)   #83
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
It's kind of weird that Williams confirmed both drivers, while Mercedes haven't announced a single driver yet.
I think some of that is down to what the drivers want.

The Williams drivers are mainly focused on just securing a seat - Hamilton (and Bottas) are also looking for a significant amount of money to go with it.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 15:13 (Ref:3991059)   #84
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Thanks. I knew that Williams announced Russell, but I did not know that Latifi had a multi year deal. It's not like them - in recent years Williams are usually the last team to decide.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 16:01 (Ref:3991065)   #85
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mercedes confirmed Bottas at/before Austria race #2 I think it was.
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/bo...-2021/4833819/
Old 27 Jul 2020, 16:07 (Ref:3991068)   #86
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Mercedes confirmed Bottas at/before Austria race #2 I think it was.
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/bo...-2021/4833819/
From that article:

'Mercedes CEO Ola Kallenius gave his blessing, during a visit to the Austrian Grand Prix to an unchanged line-up for next season.

"We'll stay with our two boys," he told Sky Germany.
'

So some think Mercedes will be unchanged in 2021...
Old 27 Jul 2020, 22:17 (Ref:3991140)   #87
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Williams confirmed Latifi, as well as Russell.
Latifi's dad is investing a lot of money into the team, more than Checo could bring.
For his son's deal, yes. However if the Slims came knocking funding Checo (and more?) they would carry significantly more financial weight than Latifi snr.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 22:19 (Ref:3991141)   #88
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
For his son's deal, yes. However if the Slims came knocking funding Checo (and more?) they would carry significantly more financial weight than Latifi snr.
I’m not so sure about that. He’s put about 300m into F1 in 2019/20.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 22:20 (Ref:3991142)   #89
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Yes.
He even had them before the F2 season started.
He has lots of points by finishing in the top positions of the championships he ran for the past few years.

There seems to be a problem with the uploading of files, but what I have on record after the end of 2019:

* Robert Schwarzman = 69
* Luca Ghiotto = 66
* Artem Markelov = 60
* Sergio Camara = 50
* Marcus Amrstrong = 50
* Juri Vips = 42
* Jack Aitken = 40

--

That would mean even Camara and Vips are eligible, and both are Red Bull-connected.

Funny thing for Ferrari: of the 5 juniors they have in F2 now, those with the least (F2-)experience have the required points, those with the most don't (Alesi, Schumacher), and neither does Illot.
Of those listed there's arguably only 3 that have the serious potential to make F1 teams stop and think about their line-ups.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 23:19 (Ref:3991150)   #90
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Of those listed there's arguably only 3 that have the serious potential to make F1 teams stop and think about their line-ups.
Schwarzman, Lundgaard, Armstrong?
Old 28 Jul 2020, 21:50 (Ref:3991312)   #91
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Schwarzman, Lundgaard, Armstrong?
Yes I would agree with that I like Aitken but he's too inconsistent. Handy in wheel to wheel stuff though.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 10:51 (Ref:3991618)   #92
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That's fine - it's just that you said 'Of course the problem', and I was wondering who that was a problem for because it wasn't obvious to me.
Norris is the more exciting of the two McLaren drivers.

Ricciardo is an experienced but consistently good driver too.

Yet Ferrari chose Sainz, it's all very Ferrari.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 22:37 (Ref:3991750)   #93
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

I'm not sure that is the case? Sainz is combative but appears to understand quite clearly when to push the envelope and when not to. He and Lando are quote similar i feel?

Carlos Jnr has a very level headed approach to stuff in and out of the car and seems quote modest too.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3991899)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Ferrari needed a sensible, level headed driver like Sainz to provide backup to Leclerc, which is understandable. Although Carlos will no doubt be hoping Ferrari make a big step, especially seeing how good the McLaren is at the moment. He’s leaving a team that’s very much on the up
Old 1 Aug 2020, 03:35 (Ref:3991994)   #95
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

I think Sainz speaks Italian.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 04:57 (Ref:3993450)   #96
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Mercedes signs Bottas

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-deal-for-2021
Old 7 Aug 2020, 09:51 (Ref:3993495)   #97
S griffin
Veteran

Now we have to see what happens with Hamilton. Bottas could be in the pound seat if and it is an if, Hamilton decides to leave. But they would need to find a very good replacement. But it would be very hard with a lot of established stars already signed somewhere. They would probably go with Vettel in that case or they could try and get Russell out of his Williams contract
Old 9 Aug 2020, 22:31 (Ref:3994317)   #98
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If Hamilton didn't resign for 21 Williams would be at the Mercedes team door with a deal to buy out Russell in a second and fund their team a couple seasons. Sadly think that would actually hasten their demise if they tried to get another paying guy in the seat. Least Russell can give them some guidance and build the car up, don't think Latifi can provide anything but money to the program.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 13:50 (Ref:3995553)   #99
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Right, I think quite a few seats will be available for next year.

Kimi will jack it all in so who goes to Alfa?

Kyvat will be dropped and maybe Tsunoda will get his seat?

Vettel will just stop!

Haas will change at least one of theirs.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 14:07 (Ref:3995559)   #100
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mick Schumacher will be placed in the Alfa Romeo by Ferrari Driver Academy to replace the retiring Raikkonen.

Seb Vettel will be at Racing Point with Stroll going back to Williams to replace George Russell.

George Russell will be moved to Formula E by Mercedes now there is no space at the works team.