Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Feb 2014, 07:39 (Ref:3366754)   #3426
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Must have had extra tape left
Old 11 Feb 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3366757)   #3427
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around this V4 option that Porsche has made.
They have obviously opted for the "Tortoise" strategy (much to my chagrin), and whilst I get the "efficiency" thing, neither Audi nor Toyota are complete idiots, so someone has their figures wrong.
I really don't want to sit and watch the Porsches getting blown away on the Mulsanne straight.

I hope that I'm wrong.
Well if Porsche has chosen the "tortoise" option, then it's better in your first year to complete the race, getting the distance, than running at the front, blowing your cars within 12 hours.

However, Porsche isn't stupid either, the beauty of Le Mans is that different angles of approach, can still give incredible close racing!
Old 11 Feb 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3366766)   #3428
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No doubt! It's what we all love about endurance racing. However V4 vs V8 is just a little too much for my tiny brain to wrap around. Maybe if my eyes see it happening, then my brain will register.

The issue that I have with the tortoise option is that it limits you strategically. A hare can walk as slowly as a tortoise, but a Tortoise will never run as fast as a Hare.

Last edited by Spyderman; 11 Feb 2014 at 08:25.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 08:36 (Ref:3366774)   #3429
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No doubt! It's what we all love about endurance racing. However V4 vs V8 is just a little too much for my tiny brain to wrap around. Maybe if my eyes see it happening, then my brain will register.

The issue that I have with the tortoise option is that it limits you strategically. A hare can walk as slowly as a tortoise, but a Tortoise will never run as fast as a Hare.
It limits your strategy, yes, but if the efficiency is higher with the V4, than the V8, that gives Porsche the opportunity to turn up the wig, when they know their energy consumption allows it.
Personally I don't think Toyota can run the V8's under 100% through the 24 hours, within the allowed amounts of energy.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3366776)   #3430
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
It limits your strategy, yes, but if the efficiency is higher with the V4, than the V8, that gives Porsche the opportunity to turn up the wig, when they know their energy consumption allows it.
Personally I don't think Toyota can run the V8's under 100% through the 24 hours, within the allowed amounts of energy.
I dont see logic in that. I think the opposite makes more sense. With all the electric energy they have access to, they probably wont need to run 100%. Porsche the same imo.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3366781)   #3431
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Lets hope that they have a wick to turn up.

Quote:
They may not need to run it 100% all of the time . If they are able to open enough of a gap, all they will need to do is stay ahead.

We will soon find out.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 09:13 (Ref:3366792)   #3432
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Without an actual hypothesis why engine x is a tortoise choice this whole discussion seems pretty weird.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3366793)   #3433
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
It's not required to participate in every discussion that is being held. If you find it weird or do not want to share why you think a V4 can easily cope with a V8, then perhaps it is better not to post at all.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3366803)   #3434
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Anyway...Testing at Bahrain is coming up.
https://twitter.com/neeljani/status/...310400/photo/1
Old 11 Feb 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3366920)   #3435
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
SportAuto.de have published an interesting article about the Porsche 919 Hybrid confirming that the engine is a wide-angle 2.0L V4 with a single turbo inside the V:
Same solution as the 3.7 V6 diesel machine. Then the rest of the problem is the placement of intercooler, water tank and a huge chunk of battery on both sides of the engine. Either they put the battery back on top of the engine like Mercedes F1
(Not likely as there is a turbo already in the V), or otherwise like the Renault solution.(More likely, hopefully cooling won't be an issue.)
Old 11 Feb 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3366961)   #3436
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how are they coping with vibrations? Any information about the engine not being stressed member?
Old 11 Feb 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3367071)   #3437
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
It's not required to participate in every discussion that is being held. If you find it weird or do not want to share why you think a V4 can easily cope with a V8, then perhaps it is better not to post at all.
I didn't directly claim anything.

They have obviously opted for the "Tortoise" strategy (much to my chagrin), and whilst I get the "efficiency" thing, neither Audi nor Toyota are complete idiots, so someone has their figures wrong.

That's the part I didn't get. "Obviously" at this point when not a single race has been run under the new regs yet and there is no statement or anything hinting at such tortoise strategy in the first place. I don't think the engine configuration is a proof considering what has been expected... small turbos. If anything Toyota's engine choice should cause more eye rolling because it is most likely not a clean sheet design and possibly budget played a role in that decision.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 21:46 (Ref:3367074)   #3438
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Toyota had the same top speed as Audi at LeMans iirc, maybe faster (2012 they did)? At Spa they were very equal in that category. The lower drag of the Toyota kept them in the same ballpark. I think everyone knows the diesel made a good bit more power. But they sacrificed fuel economy as well. I think it will be much easier for Toyota to use the hybrid power. They wont have any issue with generating enough energy with both axels recovering. Im not sure how much energy an exhaust recovery system is worth. Anyone with any idea?
Old 12 Feb 2014, 01:51 (Ref:3367164)   #3439
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
But that is what makes 2014 a very interesting year as very soon we are going to see who's bet on the drawing board was the best on the track.
No thoughts on Rebellion or the (non)Lotus?
Old 12 Feb 2014, 03:06 (Ref:3367181)   #3440
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
No thoughts on Rebellion or the (non)Lotus?
In theory the privateers in P1 have some sort of very interesting possibility for the beginning of the season, because if someone has found a very clever way to interpret the rules and have designed stellar aero package – they can completely catch everyone by surprise and give everyone run for the money, even with less combined power. I do really believe aero efficiency is going to be the king when you limit fuel, because so much could be achieved if someone finds clever ways to deal with drag. Then of course, if any of the privateers surprises everyone, ACO will surprise them with immediate adjustments to some text, so none of this happens again, because I hope everyone would agree that Audi, Toyota and Porsche will absolutely not accept to be beaten by a private team all year long. But if that happened, I will cheer them up big time as to me the biggest pleasure in motorsport is when someone comes out with something smart and changes the game, even if it is only temporarily.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3367628)   #3441
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like Porsche will be sponsored by Scheaffler and Veltins .

Some some yellow , green and red in the livery .

Veltins is beer ..... and as far as I know alcohol is banned from advertising ? But not in all the countys the WEC will visit .

Limk here . 7th line down .

http://mariantic.co.uk/lmp/

Last edited by The Badger; 13 Feb 2014 at 08:33.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3367666)   #3442
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
That sponsorship news was already mentioned a week ago: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3365243
Old 13 Feb 2014, 15:51 (Ref:3367919)   #3443
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche finally picks #14 (Dumas-Lieb-Webber entry) and #20 (Bernhard-Hartley-Jani entry), I just wonder if there's any potential reason behind this two numbers.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 15:55 (Ref:3367920)   #3444
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911targa View Post
Porsche finally picks #14 (Dumas-Lieb-Webber entry) and #20 (Bernhard-Hartley-Jani entry), I just wonder if there's any potential reason behind this two numbers.
Mission 2014 would be my guess.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3367938)   #3445
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911targa View Post
Lots of success with the #14 in IMSA with the Holbert car.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3368022)   #3446
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone have any pics or video from testing today in Bahrain?
Old 13 Feb 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3368039)   #3447
Richard T
Rookie

Sweden
Stockholm
Richard T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Anyone have any pics or video from testing today in Bahrain?
Mr. Webber posted this today

Also this was posted on Mulsannes Corner FB-page

Old 13 Feb 2014, 19:43 (Ref:3368060)   #3448
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh , That livery is gonta change . Will take too much away from the sponsors corporate colors .
Old 13 Feb 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3368062)   #3449
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
A very smooth unbroken surface on the Porsche, very contrary Audi.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3368121)   #3450
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Oh , That livery is gonta change . Will take too much away from the sponsors corporate colors .
Of course it will change. Why this keeps being brought up all the time, is it even possible to look at a car magazine and not see similar paint?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-swirlies.html