Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Jul 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3274050)   #2101
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Luhr is german, former Porsche factory driver. ALMS GT2, P2, P1 champion. He is very rapid in the Muscle Milk HPD. Easy fit in my eyes.

I don't really see any better fit drivers who have P1 experience and can set the pace and win...Luhr is just as good as the best Toyota and Audi guys.
indeed, also Luhr knows Dumas and Bernhard and already raced with them.

Old 4 Jul 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3274058)   #2102
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Luhr is german, former Porsche factory driver. ALMS GT2, P2, P1 champion. He is very rapid in the Muscle Milk HPD. Easy fit in my eyes.

I don't really see any better fit drivers who have P1 experience and can set the pace and win...Luhr is just as good as the best Toyota and Audi guys.
Absolutely nothing against Luhr. Not sure his pace in the ALMS right now in a class of two cars is a great gauge. Don't rate him as highly as the Audi/Toyota pilots myself. And clearly neither do those teams.

If they do enter a third car for the big show then he'd be on my list of guys to put in there.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 03:34 (Ref:3274102)   #2103
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luhr has already raced for Audi before, thrashed a r15 in 09 when he backed it in to the barrier at Indianapolis I believe.not sure porsche would remember that, but he is a good wheel man and from Germany, not that their going for a German line up or anything.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 05:14 (Ref:3274115)   #2104
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am also skeptical on the "Luhr" choice. I adhere to the school of thought that says that it hardly ever good policy to re-hire staff that left on their own accord. Naturally there are exceptions. I'm just not sure Luhr is one of them.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 06:57 (Ref:3274132)   #2105
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I imagine Porsche will factor in a degree of commercial logic based on their key global markets.To some extent, Audi certainly do.

So far the drivers are French/German/Swiss and I'm guessing the other line up would be Ex F1 Star name/USA?/British?

Who are fast Brits with P1/P2 experience? Watts/Turvey/Conway/.........
Old 5 Jul 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3274137)   #2106
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche sales to the UK are not massive by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not sure that being British would tip the scales if a choice had to be made.
If we go down the "commercial route" then either Pat Long or Briscoe (because of his ties to the US) would be a much better fit, as the US is still Porsche's largest market.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3274140)   #2107
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was secretly hoping for Jeroen Bleekemolen. Of course, lots of chauvinism in that hope. But really, he does have prototype experience, often races in Porsches, is a proper, good driver not under contract to any manufacturer. But then again, he isn't the only one in that category.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 12:18 (Ref:3274229)   #2108
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
After Le Mans this year, Alex Rossi would appear to be a reasonable seat to fill an 'American slot' if it was required.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3274275)   #2109
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I am also skeptical on the "Luhr" choice. I adhere to the school of thought that says that it hardly ever good policy to re-hire staff that left on their own accord. Naturally there are exceptions. I'm just not sure Luhr is one of them.
As in 'left' the Porsche prototyope programme that seized to exist anyway?
Old 5 Jul 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3274289)   #2110
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Others raced for Audi but remained Porsche employees.
Also - he left in 2007 and the RS Spyder program continued for another year.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 14:06 (Ref:3274291)   #2111
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post

Who are fast Brits with P1/P2 experience? Watts/Turvey/Conway/.........
Guy Smith is one of the best drivers anywhere and He still has ties to Bentley, which is owned by Volkswagon.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3274293)   #2112
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Absolutely nothing against Luhr. Not sure his pace in the ALMS right now in a class of two cars is a great gauge. Don't rate him as highly as the Audi/Toyota pilots myself. And clearly neither do those teams.

If they do enter a third car for the big show then he'd be on my list of guys to put in there.
Lucas Luhr would be a great choice.
Don't underestimate the pace of the ALMS P1 cars. They stacked up pretty well against the Rebellion team.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3274295)   #2113
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Guy Smith is one of the best drivers anywhere and He still has ties to Bentley, which is owned by Volkswagon.
Good shout. Would like to see him in the WEC.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3274302)   #2114
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know. I've watched Luhr racing for a long time in many classes and he was fast as anyone in the Daytona Prototypes, in ALMS GT2, and in P2 with the RS Spyder winning that championship. and then LMP1 still very quick.

I didn't expect that others didnt see it the same as me. I guess this means Lucas Luhr is "underrated"?

Last edited by Articus; 5 Jul 2013 at 14:51.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 15:35 (Ref:3274316)   #2115
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We will find out next year how good Luhr is,if the rumor is true with Muscle Milk going to WEC with the new 2014 HPD P1.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 10:47 (Ref:3274543)   #2116
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
I was secretly hoping for Jeroen Bleekemolen. Of course, lots of chauvinism in that hope. But really, he does have prototype experience, often races in Porsches, is a proper, good driver not under contract to any manufacturer. But then again, he isn't the only one in that category.
You're be no means the only one hoping Bleekemolen gets hired to race an LMP1 next year - I've been a big fan of his for years, he can race literally anything!

In another way though I hope Lieb and Lietz get the remaining two drives, they have been great servants to Porsche for many years knowing that they have no chance to get overall wins, they deserve the chance of that I think.
Also I enjoyed hearing Lieb say live on Radio Le Mans during the race that he was definitely not thinking of moving into a team management role and would be racing for many more years - this aimed at Porsche maybe? A "hey, pick me!" shout?
Old 6 Jul 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3274597)   #2117
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know. I've watched Luhr racing for a long time in many classes and he was fast as anyone in the Daytona Prototypes, in ALMS GT2, and in P2 with the RS Spyder winning that championship. and then LMP1 still very quick.

I didn't expect that others didnt see it the same as me. I guess this means Lucas Luhr is "underrated"?
I think he deserves a shot in a factory P1 too. The man is fast and successful in anything he drives. I guess people consider him underrated because he isn't very successful in endurance races when driving a P1.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3274598)   #2118
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I think he deserves a shot in a factory P1 too. The man is fast and successful in anything he drives. I guess people consider him underrated because he isn't very successful in endurance races when driving a P1.
He got his shot in 2008-2009 with Audi and the two previous years with Porsche.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3274602)   #2119
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In addition to the already mentioned drivers, Porsche are in the comfortable situation to go cherry picking... and besides Ryan Briscoe I'm thinking of Dario Franchitti and Simon Pagenaud...

Old 6 Jul 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3274607)   #2120
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Yes, and he deserves another shot.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3274610)   #2121
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
He did. And he won the ALMS championship in P2 with the Porsche and won the ALMS championship in P1 with Audi. Not to mention 2 ALMS GT2 championships Honestly he was randomly let go from Audi because they just wanted to reshuffle because the R10 and R15 were ill handling cars.

I always believed he got fired because of that Le Mans crash. That didn't speak to his talent.

The guy still has ties to Porsche and Nissan which is a bit conflicting. The guy won Le Mans twice in GT2. Two ALMS GT2 championships. 1 ALMS P2 championship. 2 ALMS P1 championships.

In addition he was FIA GT1 champion in 2011.

If there is no promise in Luhr then there is no promise in anyone lol.

I think he's good endurance driver because he's raced in GT cars and knows how to navigate traffic much like Dumas and Bernhard.

but Im not hiring for Porsche so I guess they will have the last say.

Last edited by Articus; 6 Jul 2013 at 16:07.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 16:09 (Ref:3274613)   #2122
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he has LMP or open wheel experience, but it would be good to see Sean Edwards get a shot at some point.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3274615)   #2123
Articus
Veteran

What's James Rossiter up to these days?
Old 6 Jul 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3274622)   #2124
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What's James Rossiter up to these days?
Isn't he contracted to Lotus for the full season?
Aside from being Force India test driver obviously.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3274643)   #2125
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Super GT as well.