Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Jul 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3274708)   #2126
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Just realized where the idea with LMP1 ( : : ) headlights came from
Old 7 Jul 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3274795)   #2127
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
I Hope that Porsche looks to the super cup if they go for a 3 car Le Mans entery. Would love to see Michael Christensen hav a go in prototypes.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3274967)   #2128
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dessert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkorsager View Post
I Hope that Porsche looks to the super cup if they go for a 3 car Le Mans entery. Would love to see Michael Christensen hav a go in prototypes.
I'm slightly surprised we havent seen some of their junior guys crop up in P2 teams to get a bit of proto experience and also the traffic management. That's what a guy like Vernay has in his favour even if his results in GTs this year have blown hot and cold. Its a big jump from supercup to P1.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3275067)   #2129
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Just realized where the idea with LMP1 ( : : ) headlights came from
It is from here:

Old 9 Jul 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3276095)   #2130
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where to even begin on this piece by DSC. Penske rumours won't go away: https://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=9912
Old 9 Jul 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3276107)   #2131
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope that if Penske do get their hands on these Porsches, they take them to Le Mans as well.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3276110)   #2132
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Man these P1 in the US rumors are making me get all hot and bothered.

It won't be good for the USCR if the rumored 4 P1 factories come to the US full time, I know where my business and support would go.

The romantic in me wishes it is true and I can have racing similar to the ALMS 2007-2012 again in the US.

The realist in me says that the USCR needs to at least get their feet off the ground before being swamped by a superior product. Now this is not because I think the USCR would be a big loss, but the fact that I am worried that Road Atlanta and Sebring would be casualties of the failure of the USCR and as a fan that is unacceptable.

I am so confused.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3276122)   #2133
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Man these P1 in the US rumors are making me get all hot and bothered.

It won't be good for the USCR if the rumored 4 P1 factories come to the US full time, I know where my business and support would go.

The romantic in me wishes it is true and I can have racing similar to the ALMS 2007-2012 again in the US.

The realist in me says that the USCR needs to at least get their feet off the ground before being swamped by a superior product. Now this is not because I think the USCR would be a big loss, but the fact that I am worried that Road Atlanta and Sebring would be casualties of the failure of the USCR and as a fan that is unacceptable.

I am so confused.
I am really hoping a breakaway happens p1 is great. Maybe being swamped by a superior product will make NASCAR want to give up on turning right and end up selling the Sebring lease to the P1 series.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3276409)   #2134
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I hope that if Penske do get their hands on these Porsches, they take them to Le Mans as well.
If Penske were to run Porsche's. Who would drive them? I certainly think that Penske is first in line for customer Porsche P1 cars if they can find a title sponsor(DHL,Deutsche Post,). But If Porsche is going to run the car themselves I don't really see why they would let Roger Penske run another set of them and why Roger Penske would want to go up against the might of a manufacturer.

When Oreca went to Peugeot they played second fiddle. Penske would play second fiddle to Porsche AG.

Now if they did this in America its a ball game. Bring back Champion racing, Penske, Highcroft, Dyson(with anything but a lola), Ganassi and Toyota. Who knows?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 05:35 (Ref:3276447)   #2135
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My take on this is that Porsche really want to have an American racing program. The US is the largest market for Porsche and I suspect that they want to increase their racing program profile in the States .
Given the above, I suspect that Porsche are pushing for P1 racing in the US and have some sort of agreement with Penske that they would run their program there.
I do not see however, that their 2014 raid on Le Mans being anything other than Porsche AG run.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3276469)   #2136
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Porsche´s desire to race in the US could push the WEC towards another race in the US as well.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3276486)   #2137
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
The whole Penske thing seems a lot more feasible if it's in 2015.

If I'm completely dreaming then it's the American P1 programme that sees Martini finally return to the cars. Would be great to see them bulk up their 2015 LM entry with a third car run by Penske.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3276575)   #2138
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
The news about a possible P1 series in the US is very interesting and encouraging (if true). Just as we start to witness the demise of world-class prototype racing in North America, this does provide hope. I know where my eyes and pennies will go. To me, the problem would be at which tracks? Sebring, Road Atlanta, Daytona and Watkins Glen would be out for sure, but COTA, Road America, and ?? would be in.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 12:47 (Ref:3277305)   #2139
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let's see, ACO backing/branding not available, COTA most likely out as well with a WEC round as well as most othe USCR tracks and what GTs will the series run? Seems to me to be at best wishful thinking that ignores history.
What will they call the P1s? "French countryside racing prototypes?" LMP1 will be out as the LM branding has been continued to USCR and they would fight to keep it exclusive.
Any track that hosts a WEC round or USCR round will find it hard to run this series without serious pressure from USCR/NASCAR to block it or take their series elsewhere.
And then what happens when Audi/Porsche/Toyota/etc take their corporate toys and money and go home because they feel slighted/ignored or don't get what they want? Then you are left with ......, pretty much the ALMS all over again but without the GT field and Dyson. As with the tracks, NO pro GT team would go over to this series as there would be no LM24 tie-in.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3277315)   #2140
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
What will they call the P1s? "French countryside racing prototypes?" LMP1 will be out as the LM branding has been continued to USCR and they would fight to keep it exclusive.
"Le Mans" probably can't be in the name, but the classes itself can't be IP...

Anyway, has been discussed more here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...28683&page=999
Old 13 Jul 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3277337)   #2141
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
The news about a possible P1 series in the US is very interesting and encouraging (if true). Just as we start to witness the demise of world-class prototype racing in North America, this does provide hope. I know where my eyes and pennies will go. To me, the problem would be at which tracks? Sebring, Road Atlanta, Daytona and Watkins Glen would be out for sure, but COTA, Road America, and ?? would be in.
If the USCR management have some connection to the fan base at all (doubtful, given previous statements and current developments, but you never know), the fact that fans are not only welcoming the rumor, but shrug off USCR and wish for the P1 series instead, should have all their alarm bells ringing. Now, faced with reality, they could continue to declare what the fan feels/thinks, or they could listen. Aw, shoot. Time's up!

Meanwhile, I hope for an ACO compliant P1+P(2 or C)+(GT or GT3) series coming true. This rumor is better news than USCR ever was.

Now let me see Porsche P1 prototypes racing in my neighborhood come '14 or '15, thank you very much!
Old 14 Jul 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3277458)   #2142
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This talk of a "break away series" is deja vu all over again, to me.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 14 Jul 2013, 03:19 (Ref:3277477)   #2143
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There will not be a breakaway race series...

Fact is, the DP needs to be replaced. USCR know it's not a viable long term plan. They know it's not even a very good short term plan. I don't think anyone else says otherwise. It's going to be replaced in 2016 without a doubt. Frankly, if Penske, Dyson, Ganassi, MM, Rebellion, Strakka and others have interest in P1, which they obviously do...

P1 will return for the 2016 season, perhaps even 2015.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 14 Jul 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3277480)   #2144
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think at most Porsche, Audi and/or Toyota could pay IMSA to run an "exhibition class" for their LMP1s at Sebring and Daytona so that they could go for the overall win. Other than that I think we will have to wait at least 2 seasons for LMP1 to possibly return to USCR.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3277579)   #2145
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
There will not be a breakaway race series...

Fact is, the DP needs to be replaced. USCR know it's not a viable long term plan. They know it's not even a very good short term plan. I don't think anyone else says otherwise. It's going to be replaced in 2016 without a doubt. Frankly, if Penske, Dyson, Ganassi, MM, Rebellion, Strakka and others have interest in P1, which they obviously do...

P1 will return for the 2016 season, perhaps even 2015.
I hope you are right but 2016 may be too late. I like your comment but compared to the statements and facts we have seen so far, this seems overly optimistic. If, it is fact, it is a message that USCR needs to get out very soon before they lose any more momentum (if there is any) that they have gained so far. Your comment seems to go against the message being presented. So far, it seems the only message is that DP is the top dog and everyone else can...
Old 14 Jul 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3277597)   #2146
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is how I'm putting this together. Pretty solid rumors out there that Penske has inked a deal with Porsche for 2015 right? They are not going to let a customer get one prior to 2015 so it's been well developed, it's highly probable we don't see a factory car in their hands until '16.

Pickett and Dyson will not go DP racing, but can "downgrade" their chassis to P2 spec. Dyson has said they are looking at P2 options..ride it out in P2 for a few years? Probably not the worst idea, car/drivers are already pretty quick.

'14 is going to be nothing but a BoP year anyway just to get things matched up...we know this. We all can expect crappy racing, but Elkins and crew are wizards with BoP, and as long as NASCAR lets them do their work, things will be okay.

'15 is going to be the defining year on how this is going to work. Then, in '16 the ACO is due to change the P2 regs anyhow...what a great time to reintroduce P1. By then, all of the big money DP players will likely have gone to P2, or will be wanting to run P1.

It's all a theory, but, it makes sense to me, and would not be surprised if it happens.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 14 Jul 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3277598)   #2147
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Also, let's not forget, Riley, who builds a ton of the DP chassis, has a P2 ready to build..

Dallara could easily produce a P2 chassis if they needed, or wanted to...
Old 15 Jul 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3277731)   #2148
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Pretty solid rumors out there that Penske has inked a deal with Porsche for 2015 right?
Old 15 Jul 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3277740)   #2149
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Pickett and Dyson will not go DP racing, but can "downgrade" their chassis to P2 spec. Dyson has said they are looking at P2 options..ride it out in P2 for a few years? Probably not the worst idea, car/drivers are already pretty quick.

'14 is going to be nothing but a BoP year anyway just to get things matched up...we know this. We all can expect crappy racing, but Elkins and crew are wizards with BoP, and as long as NASCAR lets them do their work, things will be okay.
Dyson suggested they are going to WEC.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...lans-for-2014/

My expectations are that Pickett may follow suit. L5 is the interesting one and if they go to WEC then the P2's may be told to pound sand.

I bolded the NASCAR bits, because I really doubt that will happen.

Quote:
Pretty solid rumors out there that Penske has inked a deal with Porsche for 2015 right?

Well the 2015 is an assumption, not part of the original rumour. As to how solid it is.... how can you judge?
Old 15 Jul 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3278062)   #2150
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Lucas Luhr would be a great choice.
Don't underestimate the pace of the ALMS P1 cars. They stacked up pretty well against the Rebellion team.
What you have to take onboard here is LMP1 cars are puka wind tunnel designed 'high-downforce' cars more akin to F1 than anything else out there, as such LMP1 teams tend to go for ex F1 drivers who are used to extracting flat-out (10 Tenths) lappery, for that reason...and there are plenty of those guys around. (no disrespect meant for your choice)