Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Oct 2020, 11:47 (Ref:4012185)   #101
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Renger van der Zande has been told his contract will not be renewed for 2021.
Briscoe too seems to be unlikely to be retained

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/im...fin-de-saison/
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/v...neup-for-2021/

Speculation is that Ricky Taylor will drive for them (not really a surprise, is it?), and maybe Albuquerque will be the 2nd driver
Old 23 Oct 2020, 16:22 (Ref:4012221)   #102
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...-requirements/

Some driver rating requirements. Most interesting thing is IMSA smartly got rid of the extra time trial session for P2 nd P3. Keeping just GTD.

Other thoughts

-I think they should run the extra GTD pro shootout with the GTLM qualifying session at the exact same time. Traffic should not be an issue as you will see some GTD teams sit out that session at each race I'm sure. Especially later in the season as if you are not in contention for a season championship in GTD there is ZERO reason to run in that session.

-LMP2 for Laguna Seca should be moved to Mid Ohio to save travel costs. Look at what we got next week just 1 car from that class.

-Awaiting the pit and yellow procedures for 2021 still. Fingers crossed that we get Code 60 for stalled car and debris situations.
You're NEVER getting Code 60 here under the current safety rules and requirements. It's not happening, give it up. I've yet to see a series that uses it where EVERYONE is cheating and investigations are rampant. Hey half the time with F1 sensors and VSC someone is investigated. The safety requirements for US insurance aren't going to allow that ever, insurance wants zero risk not low risk.

GTLM teams want no part of being on track with GTD traffic before race any more than they have to. There's enough traffic in practice to get a feel for it.

Teams like Laguna, California always sells during "normal" times. You can get big money people trackside much easier there than Mid-Ohio. This year is expected as there are only 3 teams left and 1 is only enduro and the other not starting has said they aren't interested as they're eliminated from winning.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 16:30 (Ref:4012223)   #103
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Renger and Briscoe dropped for an all new lineup at WTR. Nice if Wayne to wait to now to tell them, especially if Renger is right in saying they told him he'd be back. Not sure they're going to improve the speed of the car and saying they want someone with DPi experience? F off, both your drivers have plenty and Renger has consistent fast laps. Just admit you want a funded driver and we'd respect that.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/v...neup-for-2021/
Old 23 Oct 2020, 18:48 (Ref:4012258)   #104
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
You're NEVER getting Code 60 here under the current safety rules and requirements. It's not happening, give it up. I've yet to see a series that uses it where EVERYONE is cheating and investigations are rampant. Hey half the time with F1 sensors and VSC someone is investigated. The safety requirements for US insurance aren't going to allow that ever, insurance wants zero risk not low risk.

GTLM teams want no part of being on track with GTD traffic before race any more than they have to. There's enough traffic in practice to get a feel for it.

Teams like Laguna, California always sells during "normal" times. You can get big money people trackside much easier there than Mid-Ohio. This year is expected as there are only 3 teams left and 1 is only enduro and the other not starting has said they aren't interested as they're eliminated from winning.

1. Creventic and I think WEC have done this in their US based races (COTA) in the past. LMP3 cars being there might prevent us getting the fantastic Daytona 24 hour races we got in 2018 and 2020. It is important that if a team works hard over the course of 2 hours to build a 1 minute lead that it does not get artificially erased due to some bodywork from a car being out on the track.

2. If there is just 2 GTLM teams between 4 cars in 2021. Then they may not have much of case to have the whole 15 minute time trial session be given to themselves. Besides the GTD cars in the shootout will have the pros. So it should not be as bad. And as the year goes on the number of GTD teams electing to run the shootout session should decrease.

3. The scenarios that attracted just 1 LMP2 team to Laguna this might very well still apply in 2021 to anybody in that class specifically. Especially when the event is a one-off in the west coast. LMP2 is not going to Long Beach remember. Laguna is still on the sked of course. Just making the case here to consider switching that round.

-Also having 5 classes now will make the pit lane set up and the pit stop procedures in the safety cars a cluster (another point for #1 above...won't have to deal with that as much with code 60). As far as IMSA Radio guys go. Hindy for sure on my side of the issue. I think BroadRun96 that Jeremy Shaw is more on your side.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 19:50 (Ref:4012265)   #105
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Different management means different insurance. No one cares what Creventic does other than the entrants and WEC has FIA coverage on their series. Different rules of engagement entirely, not apples to apples. It's apples to steak.

There are no sides. Read the law and what the series would have happen with a Code 60 incident. And sorry but people have died in recent years on hot tracks because drivers can't behave. It's just not happening with a US registered company. It's not a matter of desire for the rules. It's legality issues and I wish prior would get that. It's a non-starter legally for series based here.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 19:53 (Ref:4012268)   #106
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
F off, both your drivers have plenty and Renger has consistent fast laps. Just admit you want a funded driver and we'd respect that.
Renger's replacement is Filipe Albuquerque.
Horrible for Renger, but you can't argue with the quality of his replacement.

Also, let's not pretend that people would respect WTR for bringing in funded drivers.
Old 23 Oct 2020, 23:06 (Ref:4012286)   #107
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Renger's replacement is Filipe Albuquerque.
Horrible for Renger, but you can't argue with the quality of his replacement.

Also, let's not pretend that people would respect WTR for bringing in funded drivers.
No, but the admission that funded drivers help the program is understandable. The claims of someone who has DPi experience isn't. He has less than Renger so just say money or say nothing.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 01:40 (Ref:4012300)   #108
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Didn't know Albuquerque brought money. Is there a primary sponsor for him? Genuinely hadn't paid attention so didn't know.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 21:14 (Ref:4012571)   #109
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
MP's article hinted and S365 straight said it's a matter of them getting a funded driver. I didn't know he was but who knows maybe it's some support thing we're never going to see and isn't on the car. Then again maybe the whole thing is distraction and he doesn't and they had a falling out with Renger and didn't tell him.

Both writers thought Briscoe was out because he was managed by Angelelli who sold his stake in the team. Seems like there may have been more to the sale than just staying in Italy more if it's worth mentioning he's not going to be retained because he's managed by Max. Seems an extra detail that isn't needed unless it means something.

And of course their 4th driver at Daytona is out now. Now way in any scenario Kamui is allowed to drive for a Honda product as a Toyota factory driver.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 01:26 (Ref:4012625)   #110
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
So how did you go from "insurance won't cover Code 60" to "not having full course yellows is literally illegal" between paragraphs, and how am I supposed to take anything in that post seriously at that point? When the France family owned AMA pro road racing they tried to jam pace cars and rolling starts into those races when to this day the successor series still handles anything short of fluid spills, blocked tracks and needing to send a medical vehicle on track which would all inordinately endanger the riders under local yellow, so it sure as hell wasn't because they needed to.

The France/Daytona organization loves rolling starts and restarts for their perceived entertainment value, which is why you have NBC's lead announcer yelling "there could be a restart!" 5 laps into the last 15 lap green flag run of the NASCAR race today, lest the audience get bored of actual racing. Safety, insurance, whatever is not the first hurdle.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4012718)   #111
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If any US race series can get insurance for how they operate their pitlanes (in particular NASCAR and IndyCar) then I'm pretty sure Code 60 isn't a problem

It's all about "THE SHOW", that's why you get things like wave arounds
Old 25 Oct 2020, 13:32 (Ref:4012788)   #112
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

There are no sides. Read the law and what the series would have happen with a Code 60 incident. And sorry but people have died in recent years on hot tracks because drivers can't behave. It's just not happening with a US registered company. It's not a matter of desire for the rules. It's legality issues and I wish prior would get that. It's a non-starter legally for series based here.

Whaaatttt? Law? Ok lost me on this one.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 13:35 (Ref:4012791)   #113
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
If any US race series can get insurance for how they operate their pitlanes (in particular NASCAR and IndyCar) then I'm pretty sure Code 60 isn't a problem

It's all about "THE SHOW", that's why you get things like wave arounds
But for something like IMSA..."The Show" is seeing the strategies play out, witnessing that strategy and hard work pay off with a 30 second lead over 2 hours, seeing teams get penalized for mistakes and mechanical problems, seeing and hearing the cars at speed. This is not NASCAR or Indy Car. Not a quasi spec series here. The term "THE SHOW" I think is from that perspective. But I think a lot of us prefer sportscars or IMSA because it is NOT nascar or indy car. I wish series management took that perspective too.

The best races are the ones that naturally playout to its conclusion which sometimes ends up with cars real close. Lime Rock in 2019 is a great example. 2021 season is a great chance to recognize the points I mentioned. Something like Code 60 will reduce the frequency of confusing pit stop procedures, wave around, and the overall interruption of the race. And remember I am just saying use it for stalled cars and debris. Keep the safety car periods for accidents and inclement weather.

Last edited by WyldStallion; 25 Oct 2020 at 13:41.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 15:19 (Ref:4012893)   #114
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Please read the words written on the page. Reading the law does not mean the laws, it means case precedent. Given the litigious nature of the American legal system, and having asked more than a few lawyers I know who deal in insurance coverage and one who works with AMS, the chance of lawyers accepting a decision to Code 60 is minimal. I never said it was illegal. If you would like to disparage my comments please actually read the words I wrote and not assume things.

Pitlane lane is ENTIRELY different than marshalls on track. It's not apples to apples. Try another straw man
Old 25 Oct 2020, 17:44 (Ref:4012939)   #115
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pitlane lane is ENTIRELY different than marshalls on track. It's not apples to apples. Try another straw man
Explain how. It's people at risk, are you suggesting that there is no legal issue because the mechanics are employed?
Old 27 Oct 2020, 18:00 (Ref:4013404)   #116
WyldStallion
Veteran

Not really something we had to speculate about before but with class structure changes and format changes what will qualifying sessions look like...I'll project the following...still 15 minutes of course.
1. GTD (silver/bronze for grid)
2. GTLM and GTD (pros for points)
3. LMP3
4. DPI/LMP2
Old 27 Oct 2020, 19:31 (Ref:4013419)   #117
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
But I think a lot of us prefer sportscars or IMSA because it is NOT nascar or indy car. I wish series management took that perspective too.
Hasn't IMSA been run by NASCAR since 2014?
Old 27 Oct 2020, 20:33 (Ref:4013430)   #118
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Yes, but I think he's saying he wishes said management (which happens to be nascar admin) would run the series in a way that isn't similar in ways to the nascar series because a number of sportscar fans prefer not nascar.

I think they've done decently enough. Struggled for a few years early on, but lately have done well at presenting a product that isn't headlined by mid-engine nascars. Some of the structure (like safety car policies, and favoring restarts) you won't get away from. There's enough good and bad for everyone here. Even still as great as nascar loves restarts, the people calling the IMSA races tend to give driver whoopsies a smidgen longer to figure themselves out of the grass than nascar series would.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 11:41 (Ref:4013518)   #119
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the series works fine as it is, no need to do what other series do

IMSA has had a very tricky season, with lower entries and teams struggling for budgets. However it has survived and now needs to recover. It’s still a great series despite everything. Let’s hope we get decent numbers next season. It’s good how many top series there are in America like Indycar, IMSA and NASCAR. The racing in IMSA is still as good as ever and we don’t need anything radical. Keep the sporting regs how they are.
Old 31 Oct 2020, 17:35 (Ref:4014098)   #120
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Gavin will step down as a full-time Corvette driver after the 2020 finale

https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...after-19-years
Old 31 Oct 2020, 18:33 (Ref:4014110)   #121
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Gavin will step down as a full-time Corvette driver after the 2020 finale

https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...after-19-years
The competition for that job is on. Might be currently the most sought after seat in auto racing.
Old 31 Oct 2020, 23:26 (Ref:4014171)   #122
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
The competition for that job is on. Might be currently the most sought after seat in auto racing.
Saw Tincknell's name mentioned, seems like a pretty good option on all sides, other than maybe Harry having the prototype urge

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Nov 2020, 10:19 (Ref:4014215)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wish Gavin all the best for the future, he's always been a great driver in sportscars and he's been at it a long time
Old 1 Nov 2020, 11:07 (Ref:4014225)   #124
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Saw Tincknell's name mentioned
And Westbrook, and even Nick Tandy...
Old 1 Nov 2020, 14:13 (Ref:4014304)   #125
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
And Westbrook, and even Nick Tandy...
Indeed hence the point I made in post #121...the battle is on. Thankfully I don't think anybody needs to do a "Harvey Weinstein" here to get the job. It will be the best combination of being fast, reliable, and a fit for Corvette racing.