Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Sep 2000, 00:56 (Ref:39066)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and tired of correcting murrays commentating. i really do hope that murray retires at the end of the season, he has been great, about 20 years ago, but now he just pis*** me off....on the race it was great to see a decent fast corner lead onto a decent straight with OVERTAKING opportunities.

RETIRE MURRAY!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 01:41 (Ref:39073)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Murray started shouting for Mazza to move over because a McLaren was 4th and he was 3rd, I thought Martin was going to push him off his chair before he finally managed to yell louder than Murray that Mazza was actually AHEAD of the McLaren and not required to move over.

A lot of silly things were said during today's race. Apparently nobody has told Murray that we in the colonies have had televised F1 for around 20 years now. He seemed to think we had not seen it before today.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 06:25 (Ref:39095)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
"Michael Schumacher is Ayerton Senna in reverse"
Old 25 Sep 2000, 07:38 (Ref:39104)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I liked that one, Valve Bounce. Definitely a Murray Classic.

I have to say, I for one want to see Murray continue for as long as possible. I really don't think he's getting much worse than he ever has been. And I'm speaking as someone who's got every Murray F1 broadcast barring none.

What does sadden me is that he seems able to present less and less background news these days. Either he's forgetting to mention what he picked up in the paddock over the weekend, or the teams are a lot more secretive these days.

Wasn't it always his policy to have quiet conversations with the mechanics? The idea being that the team principals won't tell what's what, the drivers won't know what's what, but the mechanics are the first to know everything.

I wonder if the teams have got wise to this over the years? In the light of this, I wonder if even Denis Jenkinson's race reports would be as fun to read these days.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 11:58 (Ref:39144)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Ayrton Senna in reverse" ?, um, wouldn't that be someone who was always off the track, who had no talent and proved it every race, and who politely allowed everyone on the track to pass him without fighting back? And who never even finished a race, far less won a race?

What do you suppose Murray meant?
Old 25 Sep 2000, 13:00 (Ref:39158)   #6
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray's explanation for that one was that where Senna could drive through a thunderstorm on slicks and still be as quick as everyone else, MS was running round a dry track on wet tyres and still maintaining his lead.

Still a daft thing to say though. Murray should be kindly and gently retired now. Brundle's great, and doesn't really need anyone else. I think James Allen could be OK too with MB, and I even heard a rumour ITV were lining up a Brundle / Damon Hill combination !!!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 18:59 (Ref:39205)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, for chrissakes, why not just go for a total entertainment package: move Brundle to the pits and bring in Dill and Moansell to the commentary box? Now that would liven things up, wouldn't it?
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:13 (Ref:39233)   #8
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leave My NIGE alone!!!!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:43 (Ref:39246)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, TGF is also known to be able to drive on slicks and intermediates in the rain with success. The reason he stayed out on wet tyres was to save a pit stop.

I don't receive the "M&M show", I watch F1 on Norwegian and German television. TGF is in many ways similar to Senna, by no means "Senna in reverse".
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:45 (Ref:39247)   #10
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayrton Senna in reverse, wouldn't that be Annes Notrya ?
Or am I being ignorant? Don't tell.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:53 (Ref:39253)   #11
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Johnny Herbert as a commentator ? He knows his stuff, is always smiling and is great to listen to, and has heaps of TV interview experience. (having said that, most of it is of the variety, 'Johnny, bad luck; tell us what happened out there today...')
Old 25 Sep 2000, 23:58 (Ref:39305)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about Mark Blundell...he was quite good at Canada a few years ago...and now it seems he is out of a job at Pac West...
Old 26 Sep 2000, 00:35 (Ref:39307)   #13
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so do we all agree that murrays had his day and he does not deserve to hold his job down in 2001.....he should be given his marching orders, sacked, retrenched, told to P***Off, asked politely to step down....
Old 26 Sep 2000, 01:35 (Ref:39317)   #14
Liz
Veteran

I'm sure they could find something for Murray to do round the place. He would make a great door greeter as everyone knows him and most of us like him.

Not that I am wishing he would retire, but I would LOVE to see Jacques in the commentary box. Jacques and Mark Blundell.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 02:05 (Ref:39323)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I say lets have the longest serving driving team move into the booth once they retire:

DC: Sooo, Meeeeka, d'ya theenk Mountoyer'll bee able ter hold Buutton off efterrr tha pit stopps?

MH: Uhh.....ummm.
No.
Uhhh... dets a Ferrari....spinning. I tink, yes. Uhhh. Whoa....David?
Old 26 Sep 2000, 03:27 (Ref:39330)   #16
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha...EERO, you're killing me...that would be entertaining. Too bad I'm State-side...I don't get the M&M show.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 17:33 (Ref:39429)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With EERO's suggestion, the commentating would be far more entertaining than the racing.

And Liz, I would NOT love to see Jacques in the commentary box, not for a long time anyway. I want him to keep on racing for many years to come. Why? Coz he's my favourite driver...
Old 29 Sep 2000, 05:47 (Ref:39915)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Murray is there so that when you can here him, you know the sound from the broadcast hasn't gone dead. AND, he keeps me awake and laughing when there is really very little going on at the track.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 11:31 (Ref:40171)   #19
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give Murray a break

So hes loosing it a bit it happens to us all eventually.
I dont think having two drivers commentating would be as good as Murray & Martin lets face it some of them struggle with the odd interview.
But it is getting to a point where most of the commentry is MB correcting MW which isnt good is it.
I look at MW's commentry as being more entertaining than anything else I think every one realises when he gets it wrong,but you can't deny one thing he is passionate about F1.
One thing that really does drive me mad is everytime TGF is on the podium why does he insist on saying are we going to see the famous Schumacher leap why ?.
Does anybody else know of the "famous Schumacher leap" does Schumacher.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 13:10 (Ref:40191)   #20
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No gomick, we are not all agreed that Murray should go! Part of the reason he make the odd mistake is that he is so excited by what he is seeing. He has a genuine passion for his sport, which cannot be said for many commentators.

He did intend to retire last year as a point of fact, but such was the pressure of opinion that he should stay. He took on a one year contract. So at the end of this season, I'm sad to say you might get your wish.

Personally i hope not.
Old 1 Oct 2000, 00:45 (Ref:40258)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quite honestly, I've gotten to the point where I would prefer Murray to stay. I mean, quite honestly, his gaffs are nearly always better than anyone else's gaffs. He gets so excited that he doesn't know what he is saying. I will miss him if he goes.
Old 1 Oct 2000, 00:53 (Ref:40261)   #22
Liz
Veteran

I meant Jacques should commentate when he retires (and if that's in 20 years, fine!)

Two pilots commentating - imagine Prost and Senna in the commentary box...

or DC and TGF...

or Trulli and Alesi. No don't imagine that. Nobody could possibly understand them.
Old 1 Oct 2000, 03:15 (Ref:40278)   #23
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's another Murray supporter.
When I started watching formula one on television, a long long time ago, the only station that broadcasted the event was RTBF. The language used was French which I could understand quite well, but it was all very austere.
Then, when the Beeb started with live broadcasting, when I heard Murray for the first time I was touched by his enthousiasm.
Here's a guy who really really loves this sport, I knew.
And I've been looking forward to every formula one race since then untill they switched to ITV which I couldn't receive.

So he makes the occasional mistakes but to me Murray still represents formula one with all its highs and lows.
Murray Walker is an institution, a man so full of passion for the sport he loves and with the gift of bearing his enthousiasm onto others.

Never judge a person for what he's doing now, but for what he has done in the past.
Instead of talking about him in a disrespectful way, we should be grateful to the guy for bringing us hours of joy.