Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Dec 2003, 10:48 (Ref:814969)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Foster Sells Shares in Him Self

Read in the Sun today (ok probably lies) That Joey Foster has got 50K secured for his FRenault drive next year and is close to getting the rest. He turned down various F3 offers because of Budget problems. He has decided to go the Justin Wilson route and start selling shares in himself know to get a head start in getting the money for F3...then F(X) assuming all goes well.

Does anyone know how true this is ?

Is it a good idea (it looks quite risky as it could go really well, or crash really bad - no inbetween) but has a few drawbacks.

I suppose a lot will ride on how well he goes in FRenault next year.

Good luck to him !
Old 18 Dec 2003, 14:08 (Ref:815160)   #2
big ears
Rookie

big ears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have read in autosport today that he is going to do this. It should be interesting to see if he get enough takers. I hope he does
Old 18 Dec 2003, 16:24 (Ref:815344)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if he won every single race next year, how could you justify to investors that he'd get a paying F1 ride, with enough salary for you to at least break even on your investment.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 16:44 (Ref:815362)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
couldn't think of anything original, eh?

surely there's an easier way to appeal to mr average on the street.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 19:36 (Ref:815470)   #5
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair play to the lad, if he has managed to raise £50K towards his season next year in the present economic climate then I wish him the very best.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 21:20 (Ref:815537)   #6
Bobie
Racer

Bobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless of whether he has raised the money or not, is it really a good idea to do a Justin Wilson as it has not helped really now has it! Plus the investors won't see a return on there money in my opinion.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 23:24 (Ref:815651)   #7
Fred
Racer

Fred should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobie
Regardless of whether he has raised the money or not, is it really a good idea to do a Justin Wilson as it has not helped really now has it! Plus the investors won't see a return on there money in my opinion.
I would hazard a guess here and say that most of Wilsons 'investors' were buying the dream rather than expecting a return. I didn't have the money but I wonder if the 'investment' still pays out if JW goes on to make a succesful career in other categories than F1 ?

If he was as succesful as, say, Steve Soper or one of the other BMW elite, ( let alone NASCAR )he might be dissappointed but not unhappy ? If the same applied to JF would that constitute a return on investment ?

Notable that in todays Autospit, Luke Hines was being mentioned in connection with a works drive in the BTCC so his single seater aspirations have evidentally taken a back seat ( groan ). Do you have to be in open wheel cars to be a success ?
Old 18 Dec 2003, 23:37 (Ref:815657)   #8
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This concept isn't new,I know of several drivers who've tried the same idea before.Justin Wilson just happened to get alot of press, courtesy of JP, but made the mistake of not seeking substantially more money.Red Bull made his resources look like peanuts.Foster needs to get his proposal right or it could be a disaster.Firstly he'll need to form a limited company,decide how many shares to issue and at what price,and give some indication of potential revenue flows over a given period.It's virtually impossible to supply that information when you are 'only' racing at FR level.In my view he needs a substantially stronger CV before attempting this route.Also,if he gets the share issue wrong he could find he places his career in the hands of someone else.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 00:05 (Ref:815672)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can think of other people i'd rather invest a nights worth of my wages on, to be completely honest. it's the sort of thing you'd look at after renaults really, not before. unless you have some really rich relatives who need some sort of gimmick to open their wallets i suppose.

i think littleman's right though.

and back to what fred said, you need to do saloon cars and sports cars to have a career and earn some money, but if you actually want to be famous you have to do single seaters. depends what your definition of success is really. someone paying you to drive for them or someone knowing who you are in the street...
Old 19 Dec 2003, 09:10 (Ref:815871)   #10
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard he was asking for 1000, £500 shares
Old 19 Dec 2003, 10:31 (Ref:815914)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wont the British stock exchanges get sick of these proposals?

The first few will be ok, but when they dont deliver the financial performance in their prospectuses, surely there will be some kind of rules put into place to prevent people from selling themselves this way.

For example, if Justin Wilson gets no other paying gig next season, how will the investors ever receive a dividend?

The causes may be noble, the execution no better than selling tea trees for a tax writeoff...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Dec 2003, 14:02 (Ref:816113)   #12
pmaster
Rookie

pmaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are many types of ways to do this, the details will be available in the New Year. Foster has his 2004 budget sorted, fair do's, and his management are looking for his 2005 F3 A class budget through this offer now.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 18:32 (Ref:816317)   #13
Fred
Racer

and back to what fred said, you need to do saloon cars and sports cars to have a career and earn some money, but if you actually want to be famous you have to do single seaters. depends what your definition of success is really. someone paying you to drive for them or someone knowing who you are in the street... [/B][/QUOTE]

Interesting to remember a quote from Sir FW when he said that the NASCAR drivers earned too much money for him to consider employing one in F1 ( thats a paraphrase ). Amusing when you consider the money in F! ?

I think the aim has to be to make a living from driving and continue healthily afterwards. If you are fortunate and skillfull you do it in single seaters.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 02:27 (Ref:824148)   #14
Scott Moyse
Racer

England
Whangarei, New Zealand
Scott Moyse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seems like bella has a thorn in his side! shouldn't the veteran's be supporting the young guns? not subduing them!! It's old news anyway now as he's made it into Formula 3 next year from what i hear! Good luck to the man! He should be whooping some butt next year. His performance in the formula renault winter series and F3 testing this winter was v encouraging
Old 31 Dec 2003, 03:03 (Ref:824171)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bella, being a she not a he, would likely be right on this occassion. I think the publicity around the Justin Wilson float will lead to all sorts of people being touted around for money in a share float.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Dec 2003, 12:59 (Ref:824520)   #16
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
darcym, my old sparring partner, you thinking of selling yourself then? What have you got planned for this season? If I buy enough shares, will you stop moaning about the-website-that-cannot-be-named?!
Old 31 Dec 2003, 14:09 (Ref:824586)   #17
pmaster
Rookie

pmaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scotty youre a bit out of touch, Foster is doing Renault with MotaWorld according to the press. Anyway how is the weather in New Zealand at this time of year? By the way, the shares booked before his offer goes public already amount to a substantial figure if the rumours are to be believed, so F3 may still be an option for 2004.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 14:41 (Ref:824611)   #18
Instructor
Rookie

Instructor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It just shows how good racers are having to prostitute themselves just to take the next step in a career path.
It has I am told, always been thus.

We have so many really good racers on the way up.
Joey is cetainly at the forefront.

I am one of many who wish him the best.

Best regs
Steve L
Old 31 Dec 2003, 17:58 (Ref:824692)   #19
RyanSharpFan
Rookie

RyanSharpFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the Justin Wilson share scheme sold out, and joeys probably will, the bubble will have to burst, there is only a limited number of people willing to invest and some unlucky driver is going to find this out the hard way when they rely on a share scheme to get funding and it fails miserably
Old 31 Dec 2003, 19:34 (Ref:824750)   #20
Fred
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Instructor
It just shows how good racers are having to prostitute themselves just to take the next step in a career path.
It has I am told, always been thus.
Why is it prostituting yourself ? Is it not a duty of a driver to be able to sell himself and his abilities ?

Perhaps the biggest irony in motorsport is that essentially it is a rich mans sport that is sold to ( relatively ) poor people. To get on in that sport you have to have the funding, or connections to people who can supply funding.
Ability ( or talent, if you prefer )can take you so far but funding, of whatever sort, is the most important ingredient. The rest is just romantic dreaming used to sell the 'sport' to a wider audience.