Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:33 (Ref:828314)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Williams FW26 launch: BMW engine

Not much to report so far on the engine front. there is a general comment from Mario Theissen on the new rules:
http://www.bmw.williamsf1.com/01-2EF...01/0501_01.4ml
Quote:
Mario Theissen, williams-f1.com
We have to master complex tasks in order to achieve our goal of the World Championship title. The Sporting Code introduced in 2004 prescribes the use of a single engine for the entire Grand Prix weekend. This means that endurance is our priority. However, we also want to field the most powerful engine on the grid despite the new rules.
Not much new there.

However I picked up on this:
Quote:
williams-f1.comThe front profiles of the car are augmented by a narrower sidepod footprint, enabled by revised cooling packaging, all assisting aerodynamic performance.
It seems in the comprimise stakes sero has won here too.

However, I think, BMW already have a reputation for producing an engine that can run hotter than some of the rivals. This clearly aids aero and top speed. Have they taken this to another limit?
Old 5 Jan 2004, 14:17 (Ref:828355)   #2
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd agree there. In my veiw the FW25 had bar far the smallest sidepods of the 2003 field. And it looks like they are smaller still.
Deffiently seems like BMW are able to run their engines really hot.

When it says footprint does that mean width as well as height?
If so, won't this affect the CoG? or is that just the polar moments of inertia? (weight closer to the centre line of the car = sharper responses).
I know it'll affect aero cause as adam stated above, it's a reduction in X-Sectional area, and therefore reduce the drag the car produces.

Regards
Ed
Old 5 Jan 2004, 17:45 (Ref:828549)   #3
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Footprint is in one plane, about width and length, not heigth.

Very noteworthy is also the engine cover, longer and higher. That may indicate a different airbox design. Instead of the more usual downward curve, it may be now more spherical, like a snail.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 18:21 (Ref:828586)   #4
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
with the dorsal fin on the back to meet the box reg's right?

So when he says footprint, it means that the length and width of the sidepods is smaller? therefore freeing up space between the wheels for cleaner airflow?

Who ever said that there wasn't room for inovative thinking in the current regs.

Ed
Old 5 Jan 2004, 18:29 (Ref:828599)   #5
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
you mean something like this for the cover?
Attached Images

Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:00 (Ref:828641)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nothing too revealing here, but this link provides the PS84 specification http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...05165124.shtml
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:11 (Ref:828654)   #7
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The airbox looks kinda like the jordan f16 style box end 99 imo.
Wich in turn looked a bit like the mp4-10 flat top airbox.
or am i greatly mistaken.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:58 (Ref:828691)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alright, so now Jordan are copying.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:55 (Ref:829064)   #9
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

BMW engine, right. But, what about that nose!?
Old 6 Jan 2004, 08:45 (Ref:829197)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
:confused: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1
Old 6 Jan 2004, 09:07 (Ref:829210)   #11
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the car does look very bulky but that is surely due to the new engine cover regs. Kinda reminds me of that Lego Williams you can buy or some other toy. Like I said in the other thread though, the more I see it the more I like it and I can bet you that BMW donk will be strong out of the box
Old 6 Jan 2004, 09:43 (Ref:829229)   #12
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by MacMan
I think the car does look very bulky but that is surely due to the new engine cover regs. Kinda reminds me of that Lego Williams you can buy or some other toy. Like I said in the other thread though, the more I see it the more I like it and I can bet you that BMW donk will be strong out of the box
I still think Ferrari will make the benchmark F1 engine again.
Since 2001 theirs is stronger than the BMW.
Funny that some people still think BMW is the benchmark.
I did like the 'overtaking' button idea with more power.
But as it seems juan pablo dropped out of suzuka 2003 race with an old problem i think they went a bit conservative on the 2004 unit.

No rave revieuws after the few laps they did yesterday too.

Old 6 Jan 2004, 09:48 (Ref:829232)   #13
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't want to anger you here mansellmania but what does what I said have to do with what you are saying? I fail to see why you quoted me there. All I have said was I bet the BMW donk will be strong out of the box.
PLus about the rave reviews, the drivers only did 9 laps combined so give them time to find out what it can really do. They did both say it was very simialr to last years car and that was good according to them.

Last edited by MacMan; 6 Jan 2004 at 09:49.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 10:04 (Ref:829239)   #14
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by MacMan
don't want to anger you here mansellmania but what does what I said have to do with what you are saying? I fail to see why you quoted me there. All I have said was I bet the BMW donk will be strong out of the box.
Well it was indeed a follow up to what you think it will be strong out of the box.
With a note wether its reliable out of the box as well.
Juan did 14 laps wich 6 of them where on pace and i did not get the impression he was out of his mind excited about the cars pace or the engine.

Lets see how it fares againts the other cars from 7 till 13 january test.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 11:28 (Ref:829305)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by mansellmania
I still think Ferrari will make the benchmark F1 engine again.
Since 2001 theirs is stronger than the BMW.
Funny that some people still think BMW is the benchmark.
I'm not so sure, but then how can anyone not be so sure. Although I think most still think the BMW has the slight edge.

I think the BMW could still be the benchmark in terms of power. However if you factor in reliability and 'driveability' then it may not be. However if you factor in the BMW's ability to run quite hot then it could shift to BMW.
Quote:
No rave revieuws after the few laps they did yesterday too.
However testing means nothing and any article that hypes up a car (with the possible exception of a Ferrari) is rubbish.
Quote:
But as it seems juan pablo dropped out of suzuka 2003 race with an old problem i think they went a bit conservative on the 2004 unit.
hmmm, the odd blow up hasn't force BMW to be conservative before so why would this one race example do that now. I feel there is no proof that BMW have gone conservative. Any quotes from Theissen? or another part of the team?
Old 6 Jan 2004, 11:44 (Ref:829322)   #16
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've already been running that engine for a few weeks in the back of the FW25 in testing I think. Didn't Gene say that it was the biggest step he had seen?
Old 6 Jan 2004, 13:17 (Ref:829408)   #17
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

I think the BMW could still be the benchmark in terms of power. However if you factor in reliability and 'driveability' then it may not be. However if you factor in the BMW's ability to run quite hot then it could shift to BMW.

However testing means nothing and any article that hypes up a car (with the possible exception of a Ferrari) is rubbish.

hmmm, the odd blow up hasn't force BMW to be conservative before so why would this one race example do that now. I feel there is no proof that BMW have gone conservative. Any quotes from Theissen? or another part of the team?
Eversince shumi outran ralf at brasil 2001 its fair to say ferrari engine is the benchmark in horsepower.
Maybe they dont scream it as loud as bmw loves to do, ferrari rather beats them on the track.
It was not just suzuka wich was a problem, Juan also dropped out of Austria with a defect engine from a leading position.

The reliability vs the ferrari lacks and together with williams admitting the suzuka 2003 failure was an old, known problem id say they had some good discussion about the 2004 engine unit.
Wether it runs hotter i dont dont know. Could be.
But wasnt it renault who set the benchmark for running engines way hotter some years ago?
Ford took that to aproximatly 130 degrees clesius.
i doubt BMW runs hotter than that.

I think testingtimes mean nothing however there are some things to learn about testdays like cars starting to errupt in flames and articles that hype up minardis as ferrari beaters well, it is your prerogative to believe in them Adam.

Gene was quoted that he never had such an advanced engine (the bmw 2004 engine) but he didnt say about pwer or reliability.
Perhaps it was such advanced that from now on no more silly small leaks will blow up engines?
He did say that it wasnt as powerfull as the last unit used at the suzuka race,that they hoped to be at a similar power level come Melbourne GP.
That piece is page 4 or 5 from the xmass edition of Autosport.

Old 6 Jan 2004, 13:36 (Ref:829422)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I think testingtimes mean nothing however there are some things to learn about testdays like cars starting to errupt in flames and articles that hype up minardis as ferrari beaters well, it is your prerogative to believe in them Adam.
I, clearly, would not believe an article that says Minardi are Ferrari beaters. You are taking my posts from the wrong side. Surely that is not difficult to see. I am not trying to put Ferrari down (that would be foolish as they win all the time!) I just wonder about the relative engine performances.

A few things to consider. The new one engine rule will temper the advancement of power. So comparing whether an engine is more powerfut than last year isn't what we are doing, we are comparing the different engines. (Which is difficult).

Top speeds are not directly a measure of engine power. There are aerodynamics, gearing and other factors to consider. Take Monza last year. Montoya was running a lot more wing that M Schumacher.

What temperature Ford runs is immaterial, because even if high they can't combine that with other good characteristics. Also Renault pushed most aspects of engine design years ago, however again surely all that matters when discussing new cars is the current situation. Daimler-Benz set the trend for more powerful engines over a hundred years ago!
Old 6 Jan 2004, 13:55 (Ref:829435)   #19
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:

A few things to consider. The new one engine rule will temper the advancement of power. So comparing whether an engine is more powerfut than last year isn't what we are doing, we are comparing the different engines. (Which is difficult).

Top speeds are not directly a measure of engine power. There are aerodynamics, gearing and other factors to consider. Take Monza last year. Montoya was running a lot more wing that M Schumacher.
But i do consider different wingsettngs, gearing and aerodynamic efficiency.
Irvine always said the ferraris have plenty of power, but lack aero efficiency vs the then superb mclarens.
Everyone said the mercs where benchmarks but having heard what irvine said i wasnt so sure.

Off course there are lots of variables to consider, but the 2001 ferrari engine outpacing a BMW engine wich was using red area revs to gain 'overtaking power ' and still ran behind marranellos finest on such a long stretch of very uphill going tarmac was a big, big win for ferrari.(and superimpressive)
Watching that happening i had all good faith in the season to come for the red team.

This year the ferrari was comfortably the fastest down most speedtraps and regardless of the wingsettings and aero efficiency, it has to come down to horsepower.
Perhaps wel read next years xmass issue that the ferrari engine was indeed benchmarking all the way as autosport isnt so fast in praising foreign country engineering.

But they did with Ford and i remember a nice intervieuw with Nick Hayes and all the comparisment tables.. Ford was the 2nd best engine in terms of power and for sure the lightest and very driveable.
It was all about how he got his engines to run so incredibble hot etc.
gonna see if i can find back wich issue that was, nice read and i recommend it if you havent read it before.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 14:01 (Ref:829450)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I don't think the Ferrari was 'comfortably fastest down most speed traps'.

And I don't think Autosport has a problem praising foreign country engineering especially as Ferrari is probably the favourite team there. Also isn't BMW foreign for those hacks at Autosport?
Old 6 Jan 2004, 14:18 (Ref:829469)   #21
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Personally, in the power stakes i belive that the BMW was better. This is mainly because the ferrari was considered to be the most aero efficient desgin last year, and sill the williams' were up with them in terms of straight line speed. To be honest though, any difference there was/is between the engine's will probably be very marginal, no more than 5 bhp I expect.

With regards to reliability, Ferrari has it hands down...

Temp wise, not so sure but i would reckon the bmw was hotter, based on the size of the sidepods (and hence radiator's), the william's were certainly lower in height than the ferrari's (even with the F2003-GA's sculpted section's).
Running the engine hotter is more of an aero issue than a power creating one, as it means less cooling is needed to stop the engine going "poof". This gives a double aero benifit, firstly cutting the amount of bodywork in fontal area, and secondly cutting drag from air passing through the radiators.

To be honest, it's all about which factor's you consider the most important...

Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 6 Jan 2004 at 14:19.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 16:10 (Ref:829578)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Eversince shumi outran ralf at brasil 2001 its fair to say ferrari engine is the benchmark in horsepower.
But as JPM overtook Michael, at the end of the straight, wouldn't that throw back the ball into BMW's court?

Rafe behind Michael doesn't suggest to me that the Ferrari has a faster engine. JPM that close to Michael, and not able to attempt a pass, is a more likely comparison.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 16:11 (Ref:829579)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
BTW, wasn't the Brazil race your talking about in 2002?

Just wondering.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 16:21 (Ref:829586)   #24
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:
I don't think the Ferrari was 'comfortably fastest down most speed traps'.

isn't BMW foreign for those hacks at Autosport?
You see the speedtrapspeeds most of the time during qual and most practise sessions as well.
Nice feature while watching your fav sport.

Perhaps i didnt make it clear that they usually talk uplifting/hyping with british based teams.. BMW is foreign indeed but contributor to the biggest F1 team in the UK.

You shouldv read the post 2002 hungary issue where ferrari secured their 4th consecutive worldconstructors-title... it was mentioned in a small corner somewhere.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 16:24 (Ref:829591)   #25
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well .. a mclaren fan could argue ...
about engines . i think the Ferrari and BMW units are on par

Ciao Marco