Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Oct 2009, 02:46 (Ref:2562433)   #101
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Start of the sprint race for the Taupo A1GP in Jan,doesn't take a rocket scientist to see A1 wasn't a great crowd puller on its own.A1 has been in a coma since they cancelled the last race of the season,it was never going to go ahead without a bizillion dollars being injected into it.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 02:49 (Ref:2562434)   #102
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
OMG! Is that a TKR fan in the bottom left of the photo?
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:01 (Ref:2562437)   #103
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
If Townsville (a QLD Government backed event), Hamilton and Adelaide can run successful V8-only events, there is no reason why the Gold Coast would be any different. The Government put $11.6 million into the $30 million budget for the event, and if there are any losses, they get piled on IMG. I wonder how many million it takes to bring these international acts out here, and what sort of savings could be had by not having them?
Qld doesn't need two events that provide the same thing. It has been repeated numerous times that the QLD Government requires an international category for the event to be viable. No international category no event.

Crash, it was my understanding that during the ChampCar and subsequently Indycar years $11 million went to CART/IRL in sanction fees, freight etc

This event is held to sell South East Queensland to the world, so while the event would save money by not holding an internation component it will also lose its purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil
Cods, racer. You find one post from "your" fellow member where constructive comment or debate is provided as opposed to cheap potshots and negative diatribe on any Supercar thread or topic. It’s one thing to have healthy debate regardless of opinion but repetitive negativity at every opportunity is not only a downer for others but quite frankly tiresome.
Surely that type of 'reporting' by the Telegraph deserved healthy debate or do you feel that was an unbiased article from motorsport expert James Phelps?

Last edited by D.R.T.; 16 Oct 2009 at 03:11.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:12 (Ref:2562444)   #104
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here

Quote:
Brisbane Airport ground handlers have put plans in place to receive 24 A1GP racing cars due for next week's race at Surfers Paradise "at the drop of a hat" but say they are yet to receive a booking for their arrival.
Quote:
Acting Premier Paul Lucas yesterday issued an ultimatum to A1GP organisers, threatening legal action if confirmation of the cars' transport details was not made today. It is feared they will not arrive in Australia early enough to begin testing at Queensland Raceway on Wednesday.

"We are waiting with bated breath," said Brisbane Airport Corporation spokeswoman Rebecca McConochie.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:27 (Ref:2562445)   #105
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Qld doesn't need two events that provide the same thing. It has been repeated numerous times that the QLD Government requires an international category for the event to be viable. No international category no event.
If both events were run in the same place, then that argument would make sense. However, one is in Townsville, one is in on the Gold Coast. How can the Townsville event run without an international category? Punters turn up and empty their wallets in the local businesses, thus generating a return for the local community. Also there is the publicity brought to the local area's attractions, generating tourism for the next 12 months. Ditto the Gold Coast. I don't have to pay for accommodation or a ticket, but I think I'll probably be spending $1000 throughout race week that I normally wouldn't spend. Bring in, say 80,000 punters, they spend their $1000 on a party, plus much more on accommodation, tickets, transfers and transport, and it winds up being a massive event.

The fact that at the last moment the international act pulled the pin, doesn't mean the event won't be positive for the local economy. Granted the A1s won't be broadcast on international TV, but the V8s still will be

Quote:
Crash, it was my understanding that during the ChampCar and subsequently Indycar years $11 million went to CART/IRL in sanction fees, freight etc
Shoot, the QLD Government won't have to put anything into the event if they don't have to foot the bill for an international act.

Mathematics:
QLD Govermnent investment- $11mil
International class cost- $11mil

Therefore IMG can run a V8 only event with the money generated from sponsorship, corporate the public sales.

You just shot in the foot your argument that the event is stuffed without an international act. Top stuff, champ
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2562447)   #106
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont think you can be too down on Hooton, IMG and Co - they did nothing wrong and have been left holding the baby.

Not one A1 executive has fronted media here to explain the situation honestly, they've left the organisers to be the fall guys, which isn't fair.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2562448)   #107
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Punters turn up and empty their wallets in the local businesses, thus generating a return for the local community.
If the majority are coming from within Qld, this is worthless to the Qld Government. Governments want new expenditure in there area rather than redirected from with their state.

Study up on Economic Impact study processes, you will learn alot.

Quote:
The fact that at the last moment the international act pulled the pin, doesn't mean the event won't be positive for the local economy. Granted the A1s won't be broadcast on international TV, but the V8s still will be
The international tv of the v8's isn't at a level that is required by the event organisers.

Quote:
Shoot, the QLD Government won't have to put anything into the event if they don't have to foot the bill for an international act.

Mathematics:
QLD Govermnent investment- $11mil
International class cost- $11mil

Therefore IMG can run a V8 only event with the money generated from sponsorship, corporate the public sales.

You just shot in the foot your argument that the event is stuffed without an international act. Top stuff, champ
I think you will find the Qld Government pours alot more in than $11 million per year for the event. From saction fees, road closures, to event set up/tear down etc Take away Government funding from the event Crash and lets see if it still exists. I wouldnt hold my breath.

I am not sure how many times it has to said, the Qld Government sees no benefit in running a v8 only Gold Coast event.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:38 (Ref:2562450)   #108
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The SuperGP has been saved!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:51 (Ref:2562456)   #109
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
If the majority are coming from within Qld, this is worthless to the Qld Government. Governments want new expenditure in there area rather than redirected from with their state.

Study up on Economic Impact study processes, you will learn alot.
Wow, my inadequate education must be catching up with me, how daft of me.

Riddle me this one Batman- explain to the audience why the QLD Government pumps millions of dollars into public stadiums such as Lang Park, the Gabba, Robina stadium, Gold Coast Stadium etc, then the Queensland Events Corp, which throws money at many events around the state, including for the sake of the argument, the Leyburn Historic Sprints.

Why do that when 98% of attendance at events held at the stadiums, and attendances at QEC events are local Queenslanders?

For every local attending the SuperGP that I know, I can name for you someone traveling from interstate for the event.

Quote:
I think you will find the Qld Government pours alot more in than $11 million per year for the event. From saction fees, road closures, to event set up/tear down etc Take away Government funding from the event Crash and lets see if it still exists.

I am not sure how many times it has to said, the Qld Government sees no benefit in running a v8 only Gold Coast event.
Champ, I can tell you as a fact that they put $11.6mil into the event.The event costs $30mil total, including all of the above. Do I have to repeat my previous post about mathematics? No, that would be repeating myself, and repetition is really quite annoying.

Is it the QLD Government not willing to back a V8 only event, or D.R.T.? They do back that Townsville event you know...

Quote:
I wouldnt hold my breath.
Please do
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:56 (Ref:2562458)   #110
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I hear Kimi Raikonnen has put his hand up a drive....

I'd love to see a double header with V8s and ALMS/FIA GT or SuperGT, that would be a fantastic weekend. Two things though, no one in Oz gives a hoot about sportscars and TC wouldn't like the speed difference. Shame really.

Oh well we might get FIA GT at The Creek next year-fingers crossed. I hope for a miracle and A1 turns up next weekend.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 04:16 (Ref:2562462)   #111
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Battered Sav with sauce...

Quote:
Surely that type of 'reporting' by the Telegraph deserved healthy debate or do you feel that was an unbiased article from motorsport expert James Phelps?
Fish and chip wrapper comment by Phelps, McKay or anyone else for that matter was not the point of my post. As for healthy debate you selectively avoid alternate proactive comment on any Supercar issue. Is that because you don’t have any?? Or is the demise of A1 also the fault of Supercars....

I very much doubt that the Government will pull the plug on the Gold Coast event if the correct contracts are in place. Therefore your comment suggesting its demise are baseless, regardless of previous Govt quotes about "open wheel" or international requirement.

If Racer does not wish to try and find positive Supercar comment anywhere by yourself, perhaps you can provide an example?

BTW, have you had a good look at the Bathurst television numbers yet?? You were quick to spot a perceived negative via a 6,000 crowd drop without consideration of the appalling weather...And still upwards of 180,000.

The Gold Coast Supercar "Event" will still be on and I reckon a crowd above 200,000 (even with all the drama), which will say plenty about Supercars being a stand alone drawcard if thats how it pans out.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 05:07 (Ref:2562473)   #112
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Wow, my inadequate education must be catching up with me, how daft of me.

Riddle me this one Batman- explain to the audience why the QLD Government pumps millions of dollars into public stadiums such as Lang Park, the Gabba, Robina stadium, Gold Coast Stadium etc[

Why do that when 98% of attendance at events held at the stadiums, and attendances at QEC events are local Queenslanders?
This expenditure is on permanent infrastructure for Queensland. Totally different objectives for this than a street circuit motor race. Queensland has permanent race circuits that support motorsport however a temporary street circuit such serves no other purpose than as a marketing tool selling GG to the world.

Quote:
Champ, I can tell you as a fact that they put $11.6mil into the event.The event costs $30mil total, including all of the above.
Excellent, do you mind providing a source for this? As I would love to see someone try and run the event without Government funding.

Quote:
Is it the QLD Government not willing to back a V8 only event, or D.R.T.? They do back that Townsville event you know...
They do support Townsville which has different a objective and purpose compared to the Gold Coast event. Lets remember that Townsville required additional funding from outside the Qld government to get the event up.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2562475)   #113
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I hear Kimi Raikonnen has put his hand up a drive....

I'd love to see a double header with V8s and ALMS/FIA GT or SuperGT, that would be a fantastic weekend. Two things though, no one in Oz gives a hoot about sportscars and TC wouldn't like the speed difference. Shame really.

Oh well we might get FIA GT at The Creek next year-fingers crossed. I hope for a miracle and A1 turns up next weekend.
That and Ratel only takes his series to countries that support him with competitors.

Hands up which Aussie team prepared to assault the Global GT series?

Apart from the crickets...
Old 16 Oct 2009, 05:24 (Ref:2562479)   #114
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
This expenditure is on permanent infrastructure for Queensland. Totally different objectives for this than a street circuit motor race. Queensland has permanent race circuits that support motorsport however a temporary street circuit such serves no other purpose than as a marketing tool selling GG to the world.
How does attracting 300,000 punters to a motor racing event not have a positive flow on effect to motorsport? Motorsport, especially at a very basic entry level is much stronger now than it ever has been, and this cannot be denied. So there is no trickle down from the top of motorsport to the bottom?

How does the Qld Goverment putting $20,000 into a motor racing event at Leyburn that attracts 10,000 any different to an event in Surfers Paradise that costs $11.6 and attracts 300,000 people?

The QLD Goverment spend $100mil on building a stadium, for what? To generate growth and spending surrounding the infrastructure? Or do they build stadiums so that footballers can run around on a paddock?

How is spending on a football stadium any different to the government paying for TV ads overseas or interstate, or putting on a major event in Surfers Paradise?

Quote:
Excellent, do you mind providing a source for this? As I would love to see someone try and run the event without Government funding.
I heard it with my own ears from Greg Hooton's mouth yesterday, and it has subsequently been quoted in most of the articles on the subject in the past 24 hours. Open your eyes.

Quote:
They do support Townsville which has different a objective and purpose compared to the Gold Coast event. Lets remember that Townsville required additional funding from outside the Qld government to get the event up.
Huh? Both events require finding outside of the QLD Government.

What's wrong with a change of objectives? What's wrong with getting the LMS or other international category involved next year? What's wrong with this year being successful without having open wheelers?
Old 16 Oct 2009, 06:50 (Ref:2562504)   #115
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is believed that Team Germany are not bothering to come to SuperGp because of all of the dramas. The story also says that other teams may follow Team Germany's lead. So if A1 does get here it could well be a reduced grid.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 06:54 (Ref:2562507)   #116
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bottom line is that QLD said the event would not procede without an international element.... until they say that the event will procede as a local affair (and they may very well do so, i find it hard to believe the event would just get dropped...but then again i thought the same with regards to Rally Australia in Perth), all we can work from is the original quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
If Racer does not wish to try and find positive Supercar comment anywhere by yourself, perhaps you can provide an example?
eh? Whats this got to do with me? You guys can fight amongst yourselves

All i commented on was the fact that someone was being told to push on from here for 'not being positive', be it about V8s or the SuperGP. While you obviously are very positive about V8s, your record is just as broken as DRT's....
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2562519)   #117
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on good authority there will be 4 150km races for v8supercars....

information just to hand
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:40 (Ref:2562530)   #118
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The replacement for A1GP??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2562531)   #119
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gov't whinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acting Qld Premier Andrew Fraser
"I frankly think that a V8 supercar event on the Gold Coast will be just as good."
Chalk up '1' for TC?
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2562532)   #120
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa Deja Vu
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2562536)   #121
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Two things though, no one in Oz gives a hoot about sportscars and TC wouldn't like the speed difference. Shame really.
Unfortunately, you are right, however, as the Queensland state government is keen on having an "international" series why not sportscars - U.S. and European based series, who I gather is their target market, and with the ACO backed Asian Le Mans series about to kick off, timing at this time of the year (give or take a few weeks) would fit for the future. I know there ain't much chance, but a chat to Don Panoz, who apparently has spent a bit of time at the Gold Coast might be worth the cost of the phone call. Hopefully he has gotten over his last try with coming down to Australia with the ALMS. Anyway, I suppose I can dream.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2562545)   #122
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Jones is now officially disappointed...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2562709)   #123
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Legal action coming...

How do you sue something with no money?
Old 16 Oct 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2563004)   #124
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
4x 150km races

Whoaw! Will be very interesting...
Old 16 Oct 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2563013)   #125
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
4x 150km races

Whoaw! Will be very interesting...
Do they count as two rounds or four races though!? That would make it 4 seperate races -> 4 podiums?

Rather an obvious desperate measure to fill in A1GP track time and extended TV coverage, without bringing in additional supports.

Surely by Race 4 (!) a third of the field will be in the shed with bent cars and there will be hardly enough starters to take the green flag...