Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Sep 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3926027)   #301
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wouldn't the old Civic of BTC Racing make perfect sense ?
Old 5 Sep 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3926033)   #302
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
wouldn't the old Civic of BTC Racing make perfect sense ?
For what?

The team already have some former model cars, their intention is for a new build.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3926038)   #303
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
those "old" cars surelly did it for AMD

why new cars when those FK2 are tried and proved time and time again
Old 5 Sep 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3926040)   #304
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Yep, and they are considering other models to replace the MG for next year.

And if I understood what Justina Williams was saying, it could be a Mini variant body on another manufacturer's chassis, so therefore overcoming the shortness of the wheelbase. And it will be "blessed" by BMW Mini but not financed by them.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3926042)   #305
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And if I understood what Justina Williams was saying, it could be a Mini variant body on another manufacturer's chassis, so therefore overcoming the shortness of the wheelbase. And it will be "blessed" by BMW Mini but not financed by them.
How would that be legal? The cars have to be on sale to the general public in the UK.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3926046)   #306
yellowbeard
Rookie

yellowbeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I took it to mean that they might be considering another vehicle from the parent company of Mini .... BMW.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3926047)   #307
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
those "old" cars surelly did it for AMD

why new cars when those FK2 are tried and proved time and time again
Because they're at the end of their development cycle, and isn't there also a rule saying that the road car must've been on sale in the last 5 (?) years meaning it wouldn't be allowed in following seasons?
Old 5 Sep 2019, 19:51 (Ref:3926052)   #308
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
I took it to mean that they might be considering another vehicle from the parent company of Mini .... BMW.
So where does that leave WSR ? Have they lost their deal?
Old 5 Sep 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3926054)   #309
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So where does that leave WSR ? Have they lost their deal?
Yeah, this exactly. I can't see WSR losing BMW, especially since it's highly likely they'll be 1-2 in the championship this year, and the only other brand under the BMW umbrella is Rolls-Royce.

So I struggle to see how WSR are going to get a BMW / Mini brand on the grid unless they get WSR to build a couple new 330s.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 20:13 (Ref:3926059)   #310
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see a team genuinely looking to bring a new brand in though, rather than the usual Kia/Volvo/Skoda rumours... I still think the Countryman is a possibility, its marginally longer than the Clubman
Old 5 Sep 2019, 20:16 (Ref:3926061)   #311
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I still see Mini as more a rally car nowadays, even if they did race Minis in the series back in the 60s
Old 5 Sep 2019, 21:29 (Ref:3926074)   #312
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Good to see a team genuinely looking to bring a new brand in though, rather than the usual Kia/Volvo/Skoda rumours... I still think the Countryman is a possibility, its marginally longer than the Clubman
Centre of gravity/ aesthetics of a brick go against it.

If BMW are involved in some way with Excelr8 then the 1 or 2 series could be possibilities. Then BMW would have 2 distinctly seperate cars aimed at different buyers on the grid. New 1 series is FWD and hybrid versions will be on sale early in the product cycle. From a BMW marketing point of view the idea has legs.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 21:37 (Ref:3926076)   #313
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
If BMW are involved in some way with Excelr8 then the 1 or 2 series could be possibilities. Then BMW would have 2 distinctly seperate cars aimed at different buyers on the grid. New 1 series is FWD and hybrid versions will be on sale early in the product cycle. From a BMW marketing point of view the idea has legs.
Very good point. 2 Series would probably have same issues as Countryman but 1 Series is a good shout. Even though the old one was also too small :/
Old 6 Sep 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3926135)   #314
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read the article as they would be looking at other manufacturers altogether, not just BMW/Mini. If they need backing of some form, they could take inspiration from HMS and get 'manufacturer' backing from a dealer group instead.

I think it is highly unlikely that BMW would put any money/support towards developing a 2nd BMW model. Mini is OK as they have completely different target audience.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3926145)   #315
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Austin and the Alfa actually coming back next year?
Old 6 Sep 2019, 08:12 (Ref:3926149)   #316
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
Is Austin and the Alfa actually coming back next year?
If they can get the money together I don't see why not. Some of his sponsors have been working with Speedworks so there's the longer shot of a 2nd Toyota I suppose.

Given the way the economy (world wide not just the UK) is likely to go I wouldn't be surprised to see some different faces on the grid next year and maybe even some gaps.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3926151)   #317
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
If they can get the money together I don't see why not. Some of his sponsors have been working with Speedworks so there's the longer shot of a 2nd Toyota I suppose.

Given the way the economy (world wide not just the UK) is likely to go I wouldn't be surprised to see some different faces on the grid next year and maybe even some gaps.
Yeah that was my thought as well. I wonder if we will again see a bit of an influx of 'gentleman' drivers who have the money.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3926156)   #318
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I read the article as they would be looking at other manufacturers altogether, not just BMW/Mini.

Having seen the full article now, that is how I read it too.
The wording suggested that their partner understands that it is not practical to base a BTCC entry around their brand, and so a different manufacturer altogether will be used.

If they are still keen on keeping their 'Britishness', then perhaps the Nissan Leaf would be the best model to use?
Old 6 Sep 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3926160)   #319
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Having seen the full article now, that is how I read it too.
The wording suggested that their partner understands that it is not practical to base a BTCC entry around their brand, and so a different manufacturer altogether will be used.

If they are still keen on keeping their 'Britishness', then perhaps the Nissan Leaf would be the best model to use?
Would only have the range for 4 laps then have to have a 6 hour pit stop.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3926213)   #320
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If Austin and Alfa has been testing, I think there is a fair chance they will be back next season budget permitting
Old 6 Sep 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3926219)   #321
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If Austin and Alfa has been testing, I think there is a fair chance they will be back next season budget permitting
The only time the car has run on a track in 2019 has been the Dunlop tyre test at Snetterton in July.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3926235)   #322
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I read the article as they would be looking at other manufacturers altogether, not just BMW/Mini. If they need backing of some form, they could take inspiration from HMS and get 'manufacturer' backing from a dealer group instead.

I think it is highly unlikely that BMW would put any money/support towards developing a 2nd BMW model. Mini is OK as they have completely different target audience.
1 series and 3 series have a different target audience too.... not many people go hunting for a shiny new executive saloon and end up with a compact hatch. And vice versa.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 21:55 (Ref:3926270)   #323
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think the 2 series would have been the ideal car size and shape wise fort the BTCC however outright coupes aren’t allowed and there is no 4 door 2-series.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3926351)   #324
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think the 2 series would have been the ideal car size and shape wise fort the BTCC however outright coupes aren’t allowed and there is no 4 door 2-series.
Fair point! I'd not realised that there wasn't a 4 door 2. BMW seem to have a billion variations of most models... 2 series excepted!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3926383)   #325
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

While their isn't a 4 door 2 series, their is a 5 door version