Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Jun 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3907895)   #276
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Only three days of work left. Then a weekend and a few days of packing and sorting, to then head off on the Wednesday morning. Expect to be at the hallowed grounds around 4 in the afternoon, arriving with just three heads, to start. The rest'll drip in on thursday and friday. Our camp'll only consist of around 8 fans.
It seems that even our possey is affected by the lack of top tier battles up front.

Anyhows, me myself really lookin' forward to go again! This time for my 24th consecutive visit.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3907903)   #277
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
24th 24 a big moment
Old 4 Jun 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3907918)   #278
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My 24th 24 was the last that I did with 'The Tourists' in 2009. Can't believe that was 10 years ago.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3907924)   #279
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yep my 24th 24 was 2010 so this year 33rd main race plus several test days and quite a few le mans classic's
Old 4 Jun 2019, 22:18 (Ref:3907962)   #280
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
24th 24 a big moment
I must admit, I do feel kind of special. Allthough one mostly celebrates this alone. Through the years, I must have dragged hundreds to this motorsport Mekka. Only one didn't get it...

Lookin' forward seeing you all at the meet!
Old 5 Jun 2019, 06:40 (Ref:3907998)   #281
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
I must admit, I do feel kind of special. Allthough one mostly celebrates this alone. Through the years, I must have dragged hundreds to this motorsport Mekka. Only one didn't get it...

We can all raise aglass to your 24th 24
Old 5 Jun 2019, 09:37 (Ref:3908015)   #282
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post

Funny that about one not getting it. I only remember one. Came with us in 1988 all dressed up in his designer clothes. I think he was under the impression that it was going to be like having top hospitality at Monaco.... I remember one of our group (sadly no longer with us) asking the organiser 'Where the **** did you get him from?!!' And in those days we only came for a long weekend, but that was long enough to put up with him..... Needless to say, he never came with us again!
Old 5 Jun 2019, 11:37 (Ref:3908026)   #283
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Over the years i have taken plenty of people most have returned at least once, however one year it was very wet and a couple of those decided it was not for them.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:06 (Ref:3908056)   #284
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Funny that about one not getting it. I only remember one. Came with us in 1988 all dressed up in his designer clothes. I think he was under the impression that it was going to be like having top hospitality at Monaco.... I remember one of our group (sadly no longer with us) asking the organiser 'Where the **** did you get him from?!!' And in those days we only came for a long weekend, but that was long enough to put up with him..... Needless to say, he never came with us again!
What? So you didn't have a champagne bar in your camp? No caviar?

Our 'didn't get it' came with us for a certain lady, who turned out to've been coming along for me, as I discovered later...from my girlfriend, who pointed this out to me! The both of 'm didn't return.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3908057)   #285
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
We always have a warm red wine bar, open for all, cold beers come from Vince but you have to beg, (only joking Vince). We always have snacks and cheese plus BBQ usually either cooking or providing a nice focal point to sit around in the evening.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3908059)   #286
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Three days to go! I cannot believe I will be at Le Mans!

Long flight from Buenos Aires to Frankfurt to Paris. Will be spending the 3 previous days at Normandy.

Might even go for the day on Tuesday 11th for the autograph session, do you think that's worth it?

On Wednesday 12th I will be at the circuit, staying at the flexotel. Any last minute recommendation?
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3908062)   #287
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
On Wednesday try and get into the grandstands above the pits, they are open to all. looking down on the car as they pull out is amazing. And make sure you come along to the meet on saturday a high point of the event
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3908063)   #288
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
On Wednesday try and get into the grandstands above the pits, they are open to all. looking down on the car as they pull out is amazing. And make sure you come along to the meet on saturday a high point of the event
Will do! For the race I will be with my friend at T16. It will be nice to see it from the other side on Wednesday.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3908064)   #289
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post

Long flight from Buenos Aires to Frankfurt to Paris. Will be spending the 3 previous days at Normandy.

Might even go for the day on Tuesday 11th for the autograph session, do you think that's worth it?

On Wednesday 12th I will be at the circuit, staying at the flexotel. Any last minute recommendation?
try to visit as many spectator points / corners
Porsche curves, maybe Indianapolis/Arnage or even Mulsanne corner when possible
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3908067)   #290
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
try to visit as many spectator points / corners
Porsche curves, maybe Indianapolis/Arnage or even Mulsanne corner when possible
I will try, I am carrying with myself a few guides with different points of views to do as much as possible and I believe I have access to part of the banking in the Porsche curves per the accommodation I am using in the circuit.
I also plan to attend the parade on Friday talking about extra race stuff.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3908070)   #291
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:

Hello Argentinian! A part of my family lives in Alta Gracia. You've travelled a long way to see this race of races!

A few tips:

-Bring sun protection
-Bring a hat or cap
-Don't take anything from glass into the track enclosure(no bottles or glasses)
-Be prepared to walk many miles for the place is HUGE.
-Bring a decent radio with headphones for Radio Le Mans.

There's many more, but I'm sure my fellow tenthers will chip in.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3908073)   #292
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Do try and watch some racing/practice from Tertre Rouge and if you can watch either racing or practice from Arnarge (one of the greatest places to see cars at night).
Old 5 Jun 2019, 15:25 (Ref:3908081)   #293
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep. Nothing to add other than 'All of the above'!!

Oh and the obvious - you MUST watch a decent portion of the race at night.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3908090)   #294
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
Thanks guys! I hope I can stay awake through most of the race.

Nobody commented in attending the autograph session on Tuesday. Is it worth it to drive all the way from Mont Saint Michel to Le Mans (180km) to be there? Then we will need to drive back to Bayeux where we are sleeping the previous 3 nights.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3908092)   #295
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I have never stayed awake for the full 24 hours, since i first started going in 1985.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3908100)   #296
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Thanks guys! I hope I can stay awake through most of the race.

Nobody commented in attending the autograph session on Tuesday. Is it worth it to drive all the way from Mont Saint Michel to Le Mans (180km) to be there? Then we will need to drive back to Bayeux where we are sleeping the previous 3 nights.
I've never attended it. Whilst it's entertaining to bump into drivers from time to time and I have collected a few autographs over the years, it's not something I've ever felt the need to do.

Quote:
I have never stayed awake for the full 24 hours, since i first started going in 1985.
Ah well, you know we have differing views on this one! I would encourage kobefly to stay up as long as possible. As I've said many times before, there are 363 other nights in the year on which you can sleep.......
Old 5 Jun 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3908106)   #297
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
yes Andrew i know and i have done 20 hours before, but driving back Sunday so need a few hours, as always i will get up just before sunrise and watch as dawn breaks, that to me is the time i feel i look forward to most of all.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3908111)   #298
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
I have the advantage of sleeping in the circuit on Sunday and leaving on Monday around 5am so sleeping after the race will not be an issue. However, I am not sure at what time will my Saturday start and I feel it would be very difficult to be up all 24 hours. I am not young anymore
Old 5 Jun 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3908119)   #299
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have been to every autographsession when staying for a whole week, I use it to breath atmosphere and talk to drivers (only briefly) but some are more popular than others, so it is possible. You can check out the garages and of course get autographs. If you want Toyota or similar, get in line early. It has become very busy last few years. Would I drive 3 hours? and back, no. All exept for autographs you can also do on friday.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 19:20 (Ref:3908152)   #300
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I have the advantage of sleeping in the circuit on Sunday and leaving on Monday around 5am so sleeping after the race will not be an issue. However, I am not sure at what time will my Saturday start and I feel it would be very difficult to be up all 24 hours. I am not young anymore
Nor am I, my friend.......

Quote:
yes Andrew i know and i have done 20 hours before, but driving back Sunday so need a few hours, as always i will get up just before sunrise and watch as dawn breaks, that to me is the time i feel i look forward to most of all.
Fair do's, that is a good point.