Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Oct 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3936710)   #5451
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Whilst long term the switch to an EV is inevitable, short term they're still not where they need to be, the main concerns for me as a potential buyer are:

1) Range - this is improving but still an issue.
2) Charging time - if it takes longer to charge than an ICE car does to fill then it's a backwards step. Coupled with the short range it's not a good combination. You either need lightning fast charging or collosal range. On long journeys I don't want to be spending hours at a motorway service station charging the car.
3) Cost - EVs are too expensive to buy even with the subsidies.
4) Battery life - over time the battery degrades (and range drops as a result), the cost of replacing the battery effectively means the vehicle is scrap. Couple this with the high intial cost of the vehicle and it's another double whammy.

Another one I haven't seen any info on (so this could just be me being wide of the mark) is cold weather performance. When it's cold my phone and camera battery life is severely impaired - is this the case with EVs? If so that would mean that in winter your battery would be at it's worst when demand on it would be at its highest (heating, lights, wipers etc.) so range would be depleted as a result - possibly to the extent of making a trip to work and back impossible on a single charge (taking us back to the slow charging time problem). As I said though - I don't know if that's an issue with the battery packs EVs?

On the up side for EVs - the power delivery is good fun (even on a relatively low spec vehicle) and the town centre air quality argument is pretty much nailed on.

I'm with Peter - they're coming so we might as well get fun ones

One does wonder though if the jump to full EV might be a bit too much in one go - the hybrid ICE/EV does seem to have been kicked into touch somewhat.
You are right that cold weather does effect the power output of a battery.
Figures show that below 8 C. it can lose up to 20% of its capacity , & below
-10 C. it loses about 95%
Old 25 Oct 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3936714)   #5452
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh well,

Ill just buy a Mustang then..............................
Old 25 Oct 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3936717)   #5453
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oh well,

Ill just buy a Mustang then..............................
That's a relief Peter, I was getting worried about you there!
Old 25 Oct 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3936720)   #5454
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anybody who believes that the UK, let alone the rest of the world, can install the necessary infrastructure to charge all the EV cars, that we should be driving according to the tree huggers, within the next 10 to 20 years lives in a fantasy world. Governments have been waffling on about rolling out high speed broadband and full mobile coverage since the beginning of the century, and yet we are nowhere near achieving that.

How will it be possible to provide the required charging facilities in the thousands of roads where householders do not have private drives, yet there might multiple vehicles belonging to the residence. There aren't enough lampposts or other suitable bits of road furniture.
Old 25 Oct 2019, 15:12 (Ref:3936725)   #5455
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Not sure if already linked but a link to Marcus Pyes Historic Racing News Podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/user-744778030
Excellent listening, episode 2 out this week as well.
Old 25 Oct 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3936728)   #5456
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
EVs. I received an e mail around 1 am this morning telling me about the new EV SUV "Mustang" from Ford. On reflection the idea of an EV is fast becoming the most sensible choice, both economically and of course environmentally (although the batteries are not that eco friendly). Of the cars I'd like to have on my drive the Mustang is top of the list (I know, I know) but I feel the tide is well on the way to turning and fossil fuel vehicles will soon be depreciating faster than the Titanic after the iceberg!

Sooo, it's all just a "tease" at the moment but from the basic spec this new Ford could be just what someone like me would enjoy. They suggest that you can travel anywhere and find a charging point, also they are linked to Ionic(?) which has three types of charger, slow, normal and fast. Similar to the Tesla discussion we had at the Classic.

On top of that there is a government grant for the vehicle and another to assist with the installation of the charging box at one's home. I wonder what's not to like?

They will be taking orders from November this year..................................

I think to compete with the Tesla "Supercharger" business model the other manufacturers are making partnerships to offer something similar. Ford with Ionity iirc.

The "Mustang" connection, as I understand it after briefly glancing at a few story headlines, is that the car is to be a "Mustang Inspired" SUV. On the basis that people only buy SUV's these days (notably in the USA) but they need some sort of "Halo" brand to get people believing that Ford are serious.

There a guy from Yorkshire on You Tube called "Electric Vehicle Man". does some quite entertaining reviews and offers blunt opinions.

Ford are paying for him to go the preview event in LA, apparently.

I think the PR net is being flung a long way for this one. Dearborn must be serious.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/24/...-e-reveal-date

Looks nice!

https://www.motor1.com/news/366388/f...ric-suv-spied/
Old 25 Oct 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3936734)   #5457
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Anybody who believes that the UK, let alone the rest of the world, can install the necessary infrastructure to charge all the EV cars, that we should be driving according to the tree huggers, within the next 10 to 20 years lives in a fantasy world. Governments have been waffling on about rolling out high speed broadband and full mobile coverage since the beginning of the century, and yet we are nowhere near achieving that.

How will it be possible to provide the required charging facilities in the thousands of roads where householders do not have private drives, yet there might multiple vehicles belonging to the residence. There aren't enough lampposts or other suitable bits of road furniture.
It sounds like I can look forward to tripping over all the charging caplets stretched over the footpath when I go out and walk the dog than!
Old 25 Oct 2019, 16:17 (Ref:3936737)   #5458
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Peter, you may as well have put your post on the brexit thread- It’s ‘leave or remain’ all over again!

We all know from the B fiasco that statistics, facts and hearsay can be used/manipulated to prove an argument either way. Nobody is being forced to buy an EV, and even after 2040 there will still be plenty of diesel and petrol cars on the roads.

Easiest way to stop all the concern about using up valuable resources would be to stop all car production- period. Then we all would adjust to using, maintaining and recycling what’s already been built.....
Old 25 Oct 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3936745)   #5459
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mike,

Working in the energy industry, as I currently do, I'm fully aware of the efforts being made by "big oil" to maintain profits. To do this they are funding all sorts of renewable technology. Likewise I also see the failure of the infrastructure since it needs to fit with Roman Roads etc.

I can't see the world going wind power in the near future but I can see that source becoming more reliable due to the storage technology. There will still be a need for gas so we need to get fracking and teach people that a few ground rumbles are not earthquakes!

So, I'll keep my eye on this vehicle simply because I see it as sitting in the Panamera niche so could prove good fun.

And we do have two petrol powered cars too.
Old 25 Oct 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3936757)   #5460
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aluminium Air battery with, potentially, 1500 mile range.

A Renewables enthusiast's take (with some historic barabd references included for those of a certain age.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HvstKvFss8
Old 25 Oct 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3936758)   #5461
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Yes I saw that, checked on their website. I think it's every weekday *from* 1 October...

BTW d'you reckon that GTV is too rotten to bother with?

Difficult to tell just from the pix, but if you were paying for it to be sorted I doubt it would be viable.........prices do still seem to be on the up, tho....
Old 25 Oct 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3936772)   #5462
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Anyone planning to be at the Birkett on Saturday?
Yes, with a brolly !
Old 25 Oct 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3936780)   #5463
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A good friend of mine is downsizing and has a lot of Motorsport Magazines from the 50s/60s/70s to go to a good home, otherwise they will be junked
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Oct 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3936786)   #5464
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
A good friend of mine is downsizing and has a lot of Motorsport Magazines from the 50s/60s/70s to go to a good home, otherwise they will be junked
How can one get one's mitts on them Gordan short of driving to Spain?

Bob
Old 26 Oct 2019, 01:00 (Ref:3936804)   #5465
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Bob
No they are actually in SW London
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Oct 2019, 05:54 (Ref:3936832)   #5466
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m still sceptical that ‘self driving’ cars will ever be allowed by legislation, and TBH, it wouldn’t bother me if they weren’t. Interesting piece however on Tesla’s continuing work on their ‘Autopilot’ software. https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/25...safety-update/
Old 26 Oct 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3936872)   #5467
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:

Bob
This lot belong to a mate who is sorting out his house and has been collecting since the 50s and used to race himself in the 60s. They can be collected from Roehampton or Purley. These won't be junk mags but genuine enthusiast ones !
Old 26 Oct 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3936874)   #5468
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m still sceptical that ‘self driving’ cars will ever be allowed by legislation, and TBH, it wouldn’t bother me if they weren’t. Interesting piece however on Tesla’s continuing work on their ‘Autopilot’ software. https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/25...safety-update/

They will be allowed just as soon as the politicians and those that influence them have moved the traditional human controlled market to a point at which they feel comfortable that shutting it down would be accepted by the masses (probably via temporary bribery of some sort) and have developed a way to ensure the move comes with some sort of positive wealth flow to the government.

Autonomous only roads could greatly simplify the system required to operate it. Some of the more remote areas might need special operations (at a price) to cater for local non-autonomous travel - assuming there are any truly remote locations left by then.

There are apparently some 40 million cars registered in the UK. How many of them are actually in use at any moment?

Allowing for a margin for peak use - would 10million Autonomous electric 'personal use' vehicles satisfy demand (assuming demand is not also "modified" by re-education in some way.)
Old 26 Oct 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3936892)   #5469
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'd had a good browse through those auction listings a few days ago - quite fancy the Alfa 155 - looks very tidy.

Bit intrigued by viewing day on October 1 with auction on November 2.......
I would say you can't - I saw it first! However, I'm already in the process of buying an Alfa GT.
Old 26 Oct 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3936907)   #5470
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my lads has asked what the yellow stripes mean. Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20191022-WA0000.jpg  
Old 26 Oct 2019, 17:44 (Ref:3936913)   #5471
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
One of my lads has asked what the yellow stripes mean. Anyone?
Just googled. First answer was that they are FIA stripes, to distinguish the cars.

Says they were first used at Sebring in'63.

As I don't have a clue if correct take with pinch of salt .

Will
Old 26 Oct 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3936923)   #5472
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
To expand on Will’s reply, which sounds spot on, appears they were to enable a pit crew to recognise individual team cars when they were painted the same colour. Hence painted on the fender that faced the pit wall. There is a suggestion also that two yellow stripes identified a rookie driver.....

Don’t forget clocks ‘fall back’ an hour tonight. Appears they do in Portugal as well, which is very civilised! Sure that will all change after brexit......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 26 Oct 2019 at 19:22.
Old 26 Oct 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3936967)   #5473
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
To expand on Will’s reply, which sounds spot on, appears they were to enable a pit crew to recognise individual team cars when they were painted the same colour. Hence painted on the fender that faced the pit wall. There is a suggestion also that two yellow stripes identified a rookie driver.....

Don’t forget clocks ‘fall back’ an hour tonight. Appears they do in Portugal as well, which is very civilised! Sure that will all change after brexit......
Thats a relief .

Doing to Snetterton tomorrow. Getting up at 5. Last race ends at 14:15 as a stand in round for GT Cup. Can't wait. First time at circuit so eager to see how it compares with other MSV circuits in particular.
Old 26 Oct 2019, 21:34 (Ref:3936975)   #5474
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Thats a relief .

Doing to Snetterton tomorrow. Getting up at 5. Last race ends at 14:15 as a stand in round for GT Cup. Can't wait. First time at circuit so eager to see how it compares with other MSV circuits in particular.

It's flatter than the others. Unless you count Bedford but that's not really a circuit.

HTH.

Old 26 Oct 2019, 21:42 (Ref:3936976)   #5475
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Doing to Snetterton tomorrow.
FFord festival at Brands beckons followed by the WHT at Sillystone next weekend for me, enjoy Norfolk.
Closed Thread