Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2002, 12:26 (Ref:377931)   #1
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Allan McNish be racing in F1 in 2003?

This story was on bbc.co.uk today. What do you all reckon about McNish's chances of staying in F1 then???

Allan McNish says he has been pleasantly surprised by the amount of interest in him following Toyota's announcement that he will be released at the end of the season.
McNish and Toyota team-mate Mika Salo were told last month that they would not be required for 2003.

Audi have already declared their interest in taking McNish back to sportscar racing, but the Scot is confident he can secure another drive in Formula One.

"Obviously I was disappointed about the decision and a little surprised especially that neither Mika nor I will be there next year," said McNish.

"However it was the natural end to my current three-year contract and I can say that [Toyota boss] Ove Andersson acted in a very professional manner throughout.

"But it is a pity I will not get the benefit of all the groundwork I have put in throughout the years with the car and the team.

"As for the future, we are in discussions, there are some options in F1 and some outside as well.

"I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of teams interested in me for 2003.

"Although you will need to wait some weeks before knowing what is happening I think it will be worth the wait. I am confident."

Audi, whose cars have won Le Mans for the last three years, admitted they have been in contact with the 1998 Le Mans 24 Hours winner about next season.

"He is one of our first choices for next year and he would fit into our team very well," sports director Wolfgang Ullrich told Motorsport News.

"He is a very special guy, a good ambassador and an excellent driver."

Bentley communications director Sarah Perris confirmed McNish was also one of several drivers on their list.

McNish, who made his debut in Australia in March after a decade of trying to break into Formula One, could also decide to race in the US Cart series.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 13:08 (Ref:377965)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Will Allan McNish be racing in F1 in 2003?

In a a word - NO.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 13:42 (Ref:378000)   #3
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt it as well. There are too few seats with too many better performing drivers for Alan to stay. He has not done a bad job but has not been spectacular either.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 15:51 (Ref:378059)   #4
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He says he has some options in F1. I'd be surprised if he was to get a race seat.
In F1 as a test driver maybe???
Old 11 Sep 2002, 16:17 (Ref:378074)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt McNIsh would ever become a test driver. I think he would go straight back to Sports Cars.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 16:22 (Ref:378079)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I could see him trying for a seat in CART, maybe one of the new teams likely to appear would want him. Not sure if that would be above Sportscars, or F1 testing, in his priority list, but unless he's the UK driver Jordan want, he could be out on his ear, a real shame
Old 11 Sep 2002, 17:31 (Ref:378105)   #7
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one of the big teams will hire him as a test driver that team could be mclaren. I can remember the mclaren honda days when seena was driving the mclaren that was one hell of a car thanks to alot of development work and a test driver called Allan McNish
Old 11 Sep 2002, 17:32 (Ref:378106)   #8
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry everyone i meant SENNA
Old 11 Sep 2002, 17:40 (Ref:378111)   #9
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's better of in GT's/LMP , and it seems that Audi and Bentley are already after him.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 18:29 (Ref:378152)   #10
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought McNish has had enough of being a test driver.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 19:28 (Ref:378193)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personal I think we may see Mr McNish in a Bentley at Le Mans next season, and personlly I can not wait......
Old 11 Sep 2002, 20:40 (Ref:378260)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I want him back at Mosport! Go Dr Ulrich Go!

Seriously, though, I don't think his performance can be seen as indicative of anything other than the car's capabilities. I'd be happy for him if he got another F1 ride. Disappointed for myself, but happy for him.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 11 Sep 2002, 21:12 (Ref:378292)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Give him that Bentley! King of the hill in the greatest endurance race in the world is far greater than also-ran on the F1 grid.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 22:25 (Ref:378356)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Lets ask a simple question here. With all the currently unsigned talent around at the moment, would McNish be at the top of your shopping list? Or even top 5?

IMO, the only drive MsNish could steal on talent alone would be Yoongs (and I think my mother could get that drive too).

That said, he's still to good to be a test driver, and sports cars are the logical place to go if F1 is'nt an option.

I wish him well though.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 22:37 (Ref:378363)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
OK, let's suppose that Arrows will be replaced somehow by another team - either someone buying the Arrows outfit or simply putting the 48 mill deposit down for a new team. It does seem Red Bull is very keen to have their own team anyway. So there were 2 seats in F1 up for grabs to replace Mika Salo (retiring) and Yoong (testing duties). One has already been taken up by Fernando coming off testing, so there is one place somewhere still to be filled. Then, of course, if Eddie goes, then there will be an extra seat. I suspect that Mark's future is left hanging because of the uncertainty surrounding Eddie. So, yes!! There could, or might still be a place for McNish in F1.

Valve
Old 12 Sep 2002, 00:12 (Ref:378399)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Arrows can run next year, Allan _might_ be in one of their cars. But Bentley seems to want to secure a lineup of first-rate drivers, and as soon as possible. And I think they'll make it more than worthwhile for Allan to be one of the 6.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 00:29 (Ref:378408)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McNish's F1 career will sadly only last one season. It will be back to sportscar racing for him next season unless he secures a test drive - but that's still not F1 RACING (not that there's much of THAT anyway).
Old 12 Sep 2002, 09:02 (Ref:378565)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I cant see any reason for Allan to take a testing role instead of Sportscar Racing. LeMans and ALMS are a great challenge and Allan has been clearly the best driver in that category for the years before F1. To me the only reason that you would take an F1 testing role would be in the hope of securing a race seat in the future. Obviously 2003 is Allans last oppurtunity for a race seat so IMO a testing role would be pointless. Besides I want to be cheering him to victory in his Bentley at 4pm on 15th June next year