Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jul 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2260475)   #1
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shipping a car from LA to the UK?

lads, does anyone have any idea how much this might cost?
The car I'm looking at is a single seater. I guess I would have to pay import duties too at this end?
Any info gratefully received.
Cheers! Gary C
Old 30 Jul 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2260493)   #2
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speak to Jeremy at Cars International - http://www.carseurope.mc

They are the best and most hassle free to get a car from US to UK.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2260542)   #3
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Thanks for that, I've now got a couple of quotes of between £800 and £900. What I'd like to know is what would the import tax (or whatever) be on a £10,000 car? Anyone know?
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2260574)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Critcher
Thanks for that, I've now got a couple of quotes of between £800 and £900. What I'd like to know is what would the import tax (or whatever) be on a £10,000 car? Anyone know?
I don't think there will be any import tax though VAT at 17.5 percent may be payable depending on the cars status when it was last exported (if ever) from the UK.
Allan Shores at Kingstown shipping also imports vehicles from the states - 01482 374116 - he might be worth an alternate quote and may be able to advise on VAT.

Peter Wray
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2260580)   #5
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Thanks indeed for that, Peter, I may well give him a call tomorrow.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:04 (Ref:2260717)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Have imported four cars this year using Cars.No problems 01284 850950

Richard ,Jeremy or Ian.

Need anything pm me
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2260745)   #7
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
I don't think there will be any import tax though VAT at 17.5 percent may be payable depending on the cars status when it was last exported (if ever) from the UK.
Allan Shores at Kingstown shipping also imports vehicles from the states - 01482 374116 - he might be worth an alternate quote and may be able to advise on VAT.

Peter Wray
I've also used Alan at Kingstown - also very good.

One thing to be careful of (in general, not specific to Kingstown), are "handling" and other charges. There can be all sorts of charges that add up to quite a lot on top of the main costs for getting the car to docks, loading, unloading, customs clearing, storage etc. Make sure you understand all these before you start.

Assume you will have to pay 17.5% VAT on the cost of the car plus the shipping costs when the car is imported. If the car is of historical significance you can try to get this cut to 5% but they are very tough on this now and not many cars are accepted for the 5%. The rule of thumb I believe is pre 1950 plus serious history. The fact that it was one car painted blue of thousands built doesn't fly.

Alan or the Cars guys can definitely advise on all of this as well as give you a very accurate estimate and breakdown of all the costs involved.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:08 (Ref:2260748)   #8
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We brought in a Crossle from the USA which came with all original history, back to the days when John Crossle had a works driver in it, then Bill Gowdy raced it with the HSCC. Make a complete portfolio of the history, get a sidebar in Autosport mag that you are importing the car and intend to continue it's fine career, you can go online to C&Excise and find a list of the kind of background and justification for the car's historic importance and answer each point with hard evidence. We originally paid the VAT and Excise, but managed to claim it back. I would recommend that you do a pre-emptive strike and get agreement from C&E prior to bringing it in if you have time.

Then...enjoy!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:09 (Ref:2260749)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The reduced VAT rules are very tough and that's when you need best advise as the Tax can exceed shipping cost.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2260801)   #10
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I brought a 65 Griffith into the UK in 2006 through Jeremy at CARS. Admittedly it was worth a lot more than £10k but CARS managed to get the 5% VAT for me. The vehicle was shipped from near Baltimore on the East coast in a shared container.

Approx breakdown of costs was as follows:

Collection and delivery to Newark £500
Shipping and customs charges £1600
VAT £1000
Transit Insurance £650
CARS fee £500

Total £4250

I expect what you save on insurance will be equalled out by the VAT charge. Depending on how you plan to get the car to the East coast from California, I would expect the costs to be broadly similar.

CARS did an excellent job and I would recommend them to anyone
Old 31 Jul 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2260820)   #11
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought - the Formula Juniors are going to Laguna Seca soon and will be doing shipping for those - and Richard Culverhouse (CSCC) is organising a trip to Sebring in Spring 2009 and will equally have to do the shipping - why not get it back over here on the back of what they are doing anyway?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2260964)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
The reduced VAT rules are very tough and that's when you need best advise as the Tax can exceed shipping cost.

Claire at cars used to be the one for working every thing out.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2260972)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

But she doesn't work there anymore.Its now Nicki.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2261085)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for her!!
Old 1 Aug 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2261656)   #15
Graham De Looze
Rookie

Graham De Looze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan at Kingstown brought my 330GT back from san diego in 2004. no vat and 5% tax as its old and european origin. Cost was $150 dollars haulage to dock in california and around £900 sterling shipping in a container shared with 3 other cars. Had to pick it up from chatham dock kent.Make sure you have all your paper work sorted before you pick up.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2261745)   #16
Cornerworker
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare, UK
Cornerworker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want a rough idea of duty costs, the Business Link website has the UK Customs Tariff on there and depending on size of engine and age of car you can work out if and how much duty is payable.

Remember that the Import VAT is on the Customs value of the car plus the duty, so it's a tax on a tax!!!!

I am assuming this is a permanent import as well.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2261806)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The duty on Historic Car is either 5% or 17.5 %.You to sort and be respsonsible for History and make sure it correct