Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Aug 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2272617)   #1
Armchair Enthusiast
Rookie

United Kingdom
Towcester
Armchair Enthusiast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Thommo Coming Back Home?

Anyone heard this rumour about James Thompson canning his WTCC campaign to return to the BTCC????

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 Aug 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2272662)   #2
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't heard it but would love to see it, if he doesn't get a good drive in WTCC then it makes sense, Seat must be the obvious place for him.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2272691)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Steve Neal has a bit of a habit of talking up his latest grand plan, and they rarely happen. I'm not getting too excited until I see something a bit more concrete.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2272701)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Didn't Thommo turn down other offers in the WTCC to stay with N technology? Surely if he does leave them then another WTCC team is a likely destination?
Old 21 Aug 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2272875)   #5
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Enthusiast
Anyone heard this rumour about James Thompson canning his WTCC campaign to return to the BTCC????

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not a rumour!

The STORY is that Steve Neal has spoken to Tommo about returning to the BTCC in a Team Halfords Honda Civic! As he did last year.

NO decision has been made!

If you read the story. Thompson has said that he has not decided what he will be doing next season.

It has been suggested elsewhere that Honda would like to see the Civic in the WTCC next year.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2272884)   #6
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be quite honest..

I have been following Thompsons time in DTC, racing for the Honda team Hartmann Racing. And allthough I recognise that he is a topflight racer, and very, very fast and skilled..

He has never gelled in with the DTC crowd, and I have been fearing the day where he just got fed up. In almost every race he has confrontations with the Danish drivers and the judges, as he is extremely fast, and everyone seems to turn on him, rather than racing their own race..

I would be sad to see him go, but it seems like its the way of things..
Old 21 Aug 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2272923)   #7
Winchester
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hinckley, Leics - near Mallory Park
Winchester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see Thommo back in the BTCC....
But I doubt very much it would happen.
He has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone in the BTCC, be it fans, teams or other drivers.
Whereas he has unfinished business in the WTCC, where in 2007 despite a slow start, an ancient car and no support from a good team-mate, he very nearly won the damn thing.
I think he will hang around with N-Tech, who he clearly trusts implicitly, and will go for the overall title with them (if possible) in 2009.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2273013)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The year's been a disaster for James, but I don't think it's the right time to give up on the project. If they can get works backing for 2009, anything is possible. The only question is whether James has tired of the travelling and testing involved in developing a world championship entry. I don't know whether he has family commitments which might tempt him to seek an easier off-track life back home.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2273033)   #9
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Re Civic in WTCC. JAS Motorsport have recently released their own Civic Endurance car. Its quite possible they are working on there own Civic for WTCC... who knows. I seems JAS has a better tie-in with Honda in Europe than TD and Honda UK...although neither divisions of Honda really do any much PR.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 01:13 (Ref:2273078)   #10
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
Re Civic in WTCC. JAS Motorsport have recently released their own Civic Endurance car. Its quite possible they are working on there own Civic for WTCC... who knows. I seems JAS has a better tie-in with Honda in Europe than TD and Honda UK...although neither divisions of Honda really do any much PR.
AND neither want to pay for it!
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2273176)   #11
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I see their Civic I would say a WTCC effort with it might be very well possible. Just replace the big rearwing and remove the roofscoop and you've got a rather tasty WTCC car:

http://minds-farm.blogspot.com/2008/...r-circuit.html
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2273188)   #12
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice looking thing
Old 22 Aug 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2273205)   #13
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
If I see their Civic I would say a WTCC effort with it might be very well possible. Just replace the big rearwing and remove the roofscoop and you've got a rather tasty WTCC car:

(At least some of) those pictures where taken at Brands Hatch. Does that mean anything?
Old 22 Aug 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2273347)   #14
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great looking car and the colours look so much better than orange TD, as said manufactuers like Honda and BMW are hardly likely to pay for a works entry when they already take the sale of the car plus the bonus of a lead team running it complete with promotion of their brand.

On topic though I cant see Thompson in at Dynamics, they rely on money been given and Thommo would take a salary and not bring sponsership so if he arrives Honda would have to be Involved in this IMO.

Drives at Chevy WTCC,N Tech WTCC or Seat in BTCC are more viable.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2273379)   #15
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
(At least some of) those pictures where taken at Brands Hatch. Does that mean anything?
Yes, that the car was there
Old 22 Aug 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2273528)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel

With the rather major difficulty of the fact that the Type R is only 2 door.

Isn't the TD/Halfords a Type S mixture that's only locally homologated?
Old 22 Aug 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2273560)   #17
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 doors is not a problem, per the rules.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2273588)   #18
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan

Isn't the TD/Halfords a Type S mixture that's only locally homologated?
The TD Civic is a 5-door, so presumably eligible for FIA S2000 homologation. It's probably not FIA homologated as there's no need for it to be.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2273778)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TD's Civic is based on a 5 door Type S with a Type R spec engine in it - thats where it'd hit problems in FIA homologation.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2273782)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Time for a homologation special, then?
Old 25 Aug 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2275222)   #21
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Just like the FIA will oppose against that They're way too desperate for new models to keep the series alive.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2275773)   #22
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Time for a homologation special, then?
I may be wrong, but I thought as long as the engine came from that range it was OK?

If that is the case and Honda were serious (LOL!) , all they need is a Ltd run of 5 dr TypeR's just like BMW did with the 320Si
Old 26 Aug 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2275792)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Thompson replacing Huff at Chevrolet?
Thompson replacing Turner at SEAT?
Old 26 Aug 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2275812)   #24
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Thompson replacing Huff at Chevrolet?
Thompson replacing Turner at SEAT?
I couldn't see Chevy getting rid of Huff. He's done relativly well for them, looked at least as good as teh experienced Larini, and RML seem to like him.

As for the SEAT BTCC idea, Turner's looked as fast as Plato, but with much worse luck, and I think he could come good when things go his way. Could SEAT add a third entry to match VXR for next year.

Also, Thommo has previous links with VXR, could he drive one of their cars next season? i'd have thought they'd want him back. If so, whi would go? Neal hasn't been that great in the car this year IMHO, does anyone know if he's got a one or two year contract with the team?
Old 26 Aug 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2275835)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
SEAT are so solely focused on Plato why would Thompson want be in a team where he was only playing a supporting role.?

If you want to start more silly rumours why not add
Thompson replacing Priaulx at BMW?
Thompson replacing Green at Mercedes?
Thompson replacing Legge at Audi?
and every other variation to that list